Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > Parts - Sales and Wants > Generic Parts for Sale
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

C70 T5 GT convertible (non-runner) for sale

Views : 5104

Replies : 48

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 15th, 2010, 14:52   #1
C70T5

Default C70 T5 GT convertible (non-runner) for sale

Hi everyone,

Before I embark on the ebay route, I wondered if anyone on this forum would be interested in buying my dark blue, C70 T5 convertible.

It's lovely in every way, except for the minor problem that the engine is kaput! It died on me just over a year ago (knocking noise got quickly louder accompanied by loss of power then coasted to a halt). AA man started it up again, but it was vibrating wildly. He diagnosed it as ‘unserviceable’. The car has been standing SORN on my drive ever since (apart from being towed to and from a local garage to see if the engine could be mended - it couldn't )

As it's been standing for a year, the brakes are a little rusty but it had only just passed its MOT before it expired (oh, the irony!) so everything BESIDES the engine is in good order.

GOOD POINTS:
The bodywork is in very good condition, as is the interior (leather, plus heated front seats).
Hood works perfectly (or at least it did when the battery wasn’t flat as a pancake – would fit a new battery to demonstrate).
Dolby surround stereo plus 3 CD changer.
Cruise control.
Complete with removable wind-shield (makes a dramatic difference in the cabin).
Spare tyre, jack, tools and locking nut.
Nokia Bluetooth hands free kit fitted (works best with the roof up).
No modifications.

NOT SO GOOD POINTS:
Needs a replacement engine (2.3).
Minor damage to plastic strip on left of windscreen (I got accosted by an unseen tree branch).
Not taxed (currently SORN).
Not currently MOTed (but has only done about 25 miles since it last passed).
Brakes MAY need replacing (or might just need a bit of hard braking to shake off the rust).

So if anyone out there has a decent engine and the skills/know-how to swap it over, you could have a very lovely, very fast drop top in time for the summer. I’ve seen second hand (not refurb) engines on ebay for about £750.
Failing that, it’d make an excellent breaker (I have neither the skills, nor the tools, space or time).

I can’t bear to see it sitting on my drive anymore, so if you have the ability to tow it away (based near Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire), I’m open to reasonable (or maybe even not-so-reasonable) offers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0057_edited-1.jpg (232.6 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0058_edited-1.jpg (204.3 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0059_edited-1.jpg (121.3 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0060_edited-1.jpg (189.9 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0066_edited-1.jpg (108.7 KB, 79 views)
C70T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 14:58   #2
Jaymz
N3RD

if you brake it i wouldnt mind a decent price on the bumper

1997 V70 2.5 20v CD 170bhp called eVolvobot
Showroom Thread || Project Thread || Volvo artwork thread
Jaymz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaymz For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 15:02   #3
C70T5

Thanks Jaymz - I'll bear it in mind.
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 16:08   #4
Baffler
Premier Member

It would be an absolute shame to break a straight car. Surely someone with the knowledge and conviction will take it off your hands and get it back on the road.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baffler For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 16:26   #5
RF82
Trader

Hi,

What would you call a reasonable offer? I`d be looking to get it back on the road, and not pull it apart. i`d not be doing the work myself, but have a mechanic who is very reasonable with me on labour charges.

Thanks,

Rob

Also, what year is it please and does it come with any history. What mileage had the engine done prior to going pop?

Last edited by RF82; Apr 15th, 2010 at 16:32.
RF82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2010, 17:16   #6
C70T5

Hi Rob,

The car is an 02 with service history and receipts (Volvo dealer stamps before I bought it).

It's done 125,000 miles.

Also forgot to mention, it's a manual.

Make me an offer I can't refuse!

Cheers,

Andy
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 10:19   #7
RF82
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by C70T5 View Post
Hi Rob,

The car is an 02 with service history and receipts (Volvo dealer stamps before I bought it).

It's done 125,000 miles.

Also forgot to mention, it's a manual.

Make me an offer I can't refuse!

Cheers,

Andy
Thanks Andy.

I`m far more used to dealing with older Volvos like 240`s etc, so know these prices much better.

I`ll do a bit of research, and see what these cars are fetching, and get back to you with an offer over the weekend.

In the meantime, if you wanted to give me a little help with a ball park figure, it would be appreciated
RF82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 12:19   #8
C70T5

Hi Rob,

I know I have to be realistic here!

Prices for running 02, manual T5 convertibles with this sort of mileage are going for around £4.5K. Taking into account the lack of engine, plus potential brake disc replacement, the fact that the car has been standing for a year and the need for someone to pick it up, I'd be prepared to knock about £2.5k off that (if your mechanic is as reasonable as you say, they should be able to get it sorted for a lot less, depending on where you source the engine). Incidentally, I've still got the block with spark plugs etc. which might be of use to someone with the skills/know-how.

I'll start with a ball park figure of £1.9k, but I'm open to negotiation...

Like I say, it's making me sad just looking at it sitting there now - especially with the summer coming up!

Please do have a look at prices over the weekend and let me know if you think this is reasonable.

Best regards,
Andy
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 12:35   #9
C70T5

Default Message to Alan M

Hi Alan,
I just tried replying to your private message, but it says I can't until I've had 30 posts.
Please see my previous message re my opening ball park figure, and feel free to come back with a counter offer...
Best regards,
Andy
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 12:42   #10
Alan M

Good luck with the sale. I'll have to pull away from any offers, as a running example can be had for that with tax and mot.
Alan M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bargain, c70 convertible, c70 t5, engine swap, for sale