Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

"Whooshing noises & smoke" - D5 SE Auto

Views : 2719

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 20th, 2004, 12:12   #1
steveshaw

Default "Whooshing noises & smoke" - D5 SE Auto

A couple of weeks into my D5 ownership I had a heartstopping moment.
Driving home from work, I heard "whooshing" noises I thought were static on the radio (anyone remember radio Luxemburg ?) I turned the radio off but I still have the noise, now I start to worry, the engine seems to lack power upon accelerating, then I look in the mirror, huge clouds of black smoke ! now I imagine the worst, blown piston, blown turbo the lot.
Anyway, I'm only 30 miles from home, its not making any bad noises and if you use very little throttle there is no smoke.
I get home slowly but OK. During the slow drive home, I'm trying to work out what the problem could be.
Connecting the noises with the lack of power, I decide to look at the pressure side of the turbo intercooler system and see that hose from the turbo to the intercooler has come off at the intercooler, 5 minutes with a screwdriver, the hose is securely on and the car is perfect again.
steveshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2004, 17:41   #2
Rooster
Speed freak

Default RE: "Whooshing noises & smoke" - D5 SE Auto

One of the turbo pipes has spilt the wooshing noise is the turbo blowing past the pipe and the smoke is cos its overfuelling because of lack of boost pressure.

Should be changed under warrenty
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16th, 2005, 16:35   #3
andyg
S80 D3 Geartonic 2013

I just had the same thing happen on my S60 D5 SE Auto. Bought new in Sep 02 - now with 75K on the clock. It had identical symptoms. Your posts on this website were very useful because I was able to let the garage know that I was aware of intercooler hoses breaking on other D5s. I dropped heavy hints that a new turbo was not required!! They are an independent garage, but they got Volvo to pay for the new intercooler hose and labour even though the car is out of warranty. The car is now back to its rip-roaring old self!

Regards,

Andy
2000s: 1 x S60 diesel. 1 x S80 diesel.
2010s: 1 x S80 diesel.
andyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17th, 2005, 23:08   #4
KeatV70D5SE

I have a V70 D5 and have had 2 charge hoses or intercooler pipes changed at service as a recall item. I didn't have to ask.

2004 XC70 D5 SE Lux . Black, Black Leather, factory privacy glass, RTI & TV, Phone (also Bluetooth), Premium Sound & Sub with IPOD, Isofix & built-in booster seats, Bi-Xenons, rear spoiler.
KeatV70D5SE is offline   Reply With Quote