Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Filter quality - air, pollen, oil, fuel, etc - brands

Views : 1871

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 27th, 2016, 18:21   #11
Munchen
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin160 View Post
That could be a good guess Munchen!
Read a bit about them aquiring the company and the reasons behind it .....And what it resulted in !

Shame when this happens to old and trusted brands
Munchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2016, 18:27   #12
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchen View Post
So mann supply volvo then...
Should the question not be - Who supplies Mann with the filters?

It would be interesting to follow the trail back to see how many of the filters are made in the same factories and it is simply the name on the box that varies.

I personally use the ones recommended by the appropriate engine manufacturer and have never had any issues, whether I could save a compile of quid hasn't worried me but conversely I don't see why I should pay extra for a 'premium' filter either.
Old Mar 27th, 2016, 18:40   #13
Munchen
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
Should the question not be - Who supplies Mann with the filters?

It would be interesting to follow the trail back to see how many of the filters are made in the same factories and it is simply the name on the box that varies.

I personally use the ones recommended by the appropriate engine manufacturer and have never had any issues, whether I could save a compile of quid hasn't worried me but conversely I don't see why I should pay extra for a 'premium' filter either.
Mann are not supplied by a third party they produce filters which they supply to manufacturers and the trade

I dont quite follow what you mean by a premium filter i would say given the price volvo charge that their brand filters are premium , However as cheshire explained you can buy the exact same filter in a mann box for a fair bit less

No brainer i would say
Munchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2017, 18:29   #14
Nogbad the Bad

Don't buy Crosland...see my post on the ECP Crosland fuel filter.
Nogbad the Bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2017, 19:00   #15
Austin160
Master Member

Default Filter quality - air pollen.

Crossland were a very much respected brand, and of course once well respected brand names are a very good selling point.
Motorists of a certain age will recall this brand, and consider them "good value for money" since we used to use them, and they were good!
This is likely to initially follow down the generations, where they get recommended by the experienced senior members of the family.
Of course there are bought out brand names now in use.
Austin160 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Austin160 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 7th, 2017, 08:57   #16
James_N
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogbad the Bad View Post
Don't buy Crosland...see my post on the ECP Crosland fuel filter.
Got a link for that? I always buy Crossland from ECP. My current oil filter is a crossland and has been on there for a good 18 months and its been fine. Ive just purchased another Crosland oil filter for an oil change soon!
Old Sep 7th, 2017, 09:52   #17
kenny
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_N View Post
Got a link for that? I always buy Crossland from ECP. My current oil filter is a crossland and has been on there for a good 18 months and its been fine. Ive just purchased another Crosland oil filter for an oil change soon!
I would take it back. Euro bought the old Crosland name but the filters are pants, made in China junk. If you look on the box they do not put where they are made. There is lots of info on the internet including videos of test being done. How true these are is unknown but for an extra few pence I buy Mann filters from euros sister site carparts4less at less than you pay for crosland at euros. They have as many discount codes as euro do. Weekend deals are best.
kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kenny For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 17:20   #18
upv5
VOC Member

Mann are good filters but the air filter I bought for my wives 2000 V40 was only 2/3 rds the thickness of the original Volvo one. Probably OK for UK climate if you change it regularly but it shows that even Mann have different specs for OEM and what you get in the shops. Now I only use Volvo for oil, air & pollen filters.

2000 V70R AWD - SWMBO 2017 XC60 D5 AWD --- Previous - 2009 V50 D5 SE LUX - 2000 V40 SE 2.0 - 1986 760 GLE 2.8
upv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 22:11   #19
KerPLoD
240 Owner, VOC Member

Mahle filters are OE quality especially for most German manufacturers. I'd fit them on my 240 if I weren't going genuine.
Check out the restoration of my 240 here...
KerPLoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2017, 22:38   #20
DSK
C70 T5

I've always mainly used genuine manufacturer filters and bought them either from online retailers or with some discount at the dealers.

This last service where I went OTT in typical DSK fashion and overhauled the brakes etc using performance stuff which is several times more expensive and never on discount, I saw ECP and CP4Less, offering some nice deals so grabbed myself a set of Mann filters for a couple of quid each (e.g £2.50/£3.00) with the online discount offers. Mann oil, air and fuel filter cost me about 1/2 of what I usually pay for a Volvo air filter on its own our fellow Volvo dealers who offer club discounts!

I have used Mann filters on BMWs & Mercs when asked to service cars belonging to friends/family without issues. Mann does have a strong reputation.

So for me : its OEM Manufacturer & Mann Filters.

In my opinion, these consumables should be replaced routinely and as long as one uses a trusted brand, that should be fine. I would always avoid the cheapest brands especially as the price difference is so small.

2000 C70 T5 GT Coupe
1998 S70R / 1995 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo
2007 Mercedes CLS 320 CDI / 2011 Mercedes S350 Bluetec
2007 Suzuki GSXR-1000
DSK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DSK For This Useful Post: