Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1996 Volvo 850 2.5 20v GLT Estate - Manual

Views : 3538

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 27th, 2018, 21:01   #1
AndyPants
VOC Member

Thumbs up 1996 Volvo 850 2.5 20v GLT Estate - Manual

1996 Volvo 850 2.5 20v GLT Estate - Manual

Immaculate condition inside and out, completely belies its age and mileage. Manual transmission. 1997 model year, so one of the last. Genuine low mileage of 122k miles and only two previous owners. The last owner had it from 10 months old until I bought it in 2012. This car has been my pride and joy for the past six plus years and I have spent a lot of time and money restoring it. Full service history, recently been serviced with Mobil 1 oil and has an MOT until June 2019 - with no advisories.

Metallic coral red with beige half leather interior. Ice cold air conditioning with manual dual climate control, heated seats, electric/heated door mirrors, cruise control, ABS, traction control, remote central locking with two key/fobs, alarm, electric front windows, front and rear foglights, rear spoiler, leather armrest with cup holders, trip computer, recently refurbished 16 inch columba alloys with excellent tyres, electric sunroof, drivers airbag and SIPS (possibly including side airbags - I'm not sure). Has the Estate Pack, comprising of load compensating rear suspension, roof rails and cargo nets. In-built child seat in rear - although may not be legal to use anymore? Comes fitted with a modern Pioneer MP3/USB stereo but will also come with the original Volvo SC-801 radio cassette with CD changer. Volvo rubber floor mats fitted since new. Genuine Volvo boot mat, hard liner and roof bars. Boot load cover is only a few years old. Split folding rear seats, front and rear mud flaps.

Work in my ownership includes (these are just the highlights):
  • 2012: Genuine replacement cam belt, tensioner and pulley, auxiliary belt and tensioner fitted by Volvo main dealer. New genuine top engine mount and throttle cable.
  • 2013: New OEM Bosch idle control valve. New OSF CV joint, inner and outer boots fitted. New ABS ring. Replaced air con accumulator/drier and air con was re-gassed.
  • 2014: New genuine Volvo upper front suspension spring seats (upgraded parts). New front drop links. New OEM Bosch MAF.
  • 2015: New boot load cover. Full PCV change with genuine Volvo parts. Replaced secondary air pump mounts.
  • 2016: New genuine fuel pump relay and engine coolant sensor. Replaced coolant with genuine Volvo 'life-time' coolant. Fitted newly refurbished alloys and tyres. New OSR TRW (OEM?) ABS sensor. New rear calipers, genuine hand brake shoes, discs and pads fitted. New genuine Volvo exhaust.
  • 2017: New Bosch (OEM) ignition coil. New reverse light switch.
  • 2018: New Meyle HD front suspension control arms. New Exide battery. New NSF CV boot.
This car has been exceptionally well cared for. I have taken it on many family holidays to Dorset and in July took us around the Lake District and apart from an original looking CV boot splitting, it was absolutely faultless. The only reason for this sale is because I have a young family now and have reluctantly bought something newer. There are far cheaper 850s available, but I sincerely doubt any will be near to as good as this one. An iconic, practical modern classic. Genuine interest only please. Price reflects condition and provenance. Member of the Volvo Owners Club.

£6,750
Located in York.

More pics below!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyPants For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 28th, 2018, 12:45   #2
Mark1Stu

What a lovely well cared for example.
Mark1Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mark1Stu For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 28th, 2018, 12:52   #3
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

That is certainly a good looking machine.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 28th, 2018, 14:43   #4
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

That's one great example of "how to advertise your Volvo".

Can't stand the 1 pic no price adverts.

Car looks sharp & GLWTS.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CharlesStevenson For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 28th, 2018, 21:25   #5
AndyPants
VOC Member

Thanks all for the kind words, it is a lovely machine and one which I never intended to sell. If I hadn't already bought a year old Skoda Rapid (a 3 cylinder, so keeping the odd cylinder theme!), I'd probably have just kept this one, but sadly doing 4k miles a year it doesn't seem very sensible to keep both ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesStevenson View Post
That's one great example of "how to advertise your Volvo".

Can't stand the 1 pic no price adverts.

Car looks sharp & GLWTS.
Ha I know what you mean! It's not hard to write a few words and take a photo or two
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyPants For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 2nd, 2018, 21:39   #6
AndyPants
VOC Member

Price reduced to £5,995
Old Sep 3rd, 2018, 16:20   #7
pepper16
VOC Member

Lovely looking vehicle....clearly looked after like I look after mine......but the price, it's still 22 years old with 122000 mls (petrol)....really ??? I don't know, but it's a lovely example.
Best wishes for sale 👍

2005 C70 2.0 T Auto Convertible. 75k miles.
17" Comet C alloys.

Last edited by pepper16; Sep 3rd, 2018 at 17:22.
pepper16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pepper16 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 3rd, 2018, 18:51   #8
T5Sweep
Master Member

Sweet jesus, that's R money! Looks lovely though, I hope you get what you want for it.
T5Sweep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T5Sweep For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 3rd, 2018, 20:38   #9
AndyPants
VOC Member

As I said in the advert:

Quote:
"There are far cheaper 850s available, but I sincerely doubt any will be near to as good as this one."

And that includes 850 Rs. Most of which are similar money - or twice that, have done more miles, have been modified, are automatic and likely with questionable service history. And then you have the insanely priced Japanese ones - for up to 15k, which again are nearly all auto, cost more to insure no doubt and whilst may be better underneath - I'd imagine suffer more sun damage than over here.

If I could get a standard 850 R in the condition of mine for similar money, I would have bought one years ago... But they didn't exist in 2012 when I bought mine, let alone now. And if you miraculously have one - enjoy it.

I have poured a lot of money - and even more time into this car. No one is forced to buy it, I am at pains to even contemplate selling it. I may take less for it given time, but I am in no rush. If someone wants an incredibly well looked after, original 850, that has been used and not left in a shed to rot - then this is the one to have in my opinion.

I would respectively ask those that want to discuss prices in a separate thread as the car is worth what someone is willing to pay for it and nothing more. If no one is willing to pay enough for it, then I will keep it. This thread is me advertising my car for sale, not debating what I wish to ask for it. Thank you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AndyPants For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 4th, 2018, 12:56   #10
amazondean
amazondean

Just to put the pricing into context. I have recently sold my 850 T5 It was in excellent original condition. And I know where to look! full leather as well. 16 service stamps, just been fully serviced including the PCV and more. I advertised it for £1750, then lowered it to £1450 and sold it eventually for £1400 to the only person to view it. I kept it online for several weeks later to see what interest I got. (very little)

These cars are being pushed up by dealers pricing them way beyond their value. The same cars are being advertised Month after Month without sale. The R is an exception may be.

You might not want my value, but I am going to give it anyway.

£2000 to £2500 max

Good luck

Last edited by amazondean; Sep 4th, 2018 at 13:20.
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amazondean For This Useful Post:

Tags
2.5, 20v, 850, manual, volvo