Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 185 Euro 4 re-mapping

Views : 1736

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 22nd, 2018, 16:10   #11
steadvex
Master Member

I'm not aware of anyone doing a proper custom tune for Volvo, at least in the UK.

I had a S60 185hp mapped to 253hp (never tested it on a dyno) with the RICA sport map, made quite a drastic difference to power delivery. Everything else on the car stock.

Was a fun car to drive
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 00:06   #12
Tunneruk

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadvex View Post
I'm not aware of anyone doing a proper custom tune for Volvo, at least in the UK.

I had a S60 185hp mapped to 253hp (never tested it on a dyno) with the RICA sport map, made quite a drastic difference to power delivery. Everything else on the car stock.

Was a fun car to drive
Were there any down sides?

www.ctmotorcycleservices.co.uk
Tunneruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 00:46   #13
AndyV7o
Premier Member

This is the thing, 'if volvo could make the car any better they would' etc, yes and no... Car manufacturers are a business, and as such it is most fruitful to keep any costs born out of variations to a minumum. As a rule manufacturers make their cars to work fron factory in any conditions/climates etc the world over. This means that, as the car is mapped to run on russian/african/etc shonky fuel of dubious quality, it is not at its best in a country with different air density and fuel quality. This is why remaps work, they are tuned to local conditions.
That said, they MUST be done right...
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 09:58   #14
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyV7o View Post
This is the thing, 'if volvo could make the car any better they would' etc, yes and no... Car manufacturers are a business, and as such it is most fruitful to keep any costs born out of variations to a minumum. As a rule manufacturers make their cars to work fron factory in any conditions/climates etc the world over. This means that, as the car is mapped to run on russian/african/etc shonky fuel of dubious quality, it is not at its best in a country with different air density and fuel quality. This is why remaps work, they are tuned to local conditions.
That said, they MUST be done right...
I don’t disagree that you can get more power from a car (that’s more power, not better).

My basic understanding is that there would be a few dozen command lines in a 90s Ecu and now there are thousands... starting off from standstill the ecu is monitoring many car conditions, many variables, providing the best compromise of power and economy and wear, these calculations are magnified many many times over. But some geezer with a rolling road and a few staff members can alter these thousands of variables, remain within limits and sell 2 upgrades a week at £300 quid. I don’t think so.

Look at an air filter and housing, the car companies do provide the ‘best’ solution, quiet, refined, good availability of throttle response. If all you want is an induction roar, loads of noise and perhaps a bhp or 2 more (not noticeable) then but an induction kit. It’s not better however.

Putting 20% more power through the drive line, 20% more torque through the driveline simple means that the vehicle oporates outside of specification, outside what it was qualified to do and outside what it was built to do.

By all means chip,it’s a laugh, but expect the bills to come in for clutches, steering and drive train components etc etc. It’s not for me(outside of dactorytunes).
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 10:14   #15
Tunneruk

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
I don’t disagree that you can get more power from a car (that’s more power, not better).

My basic understanding is that there would be a few dozen command lines in a 90s Ecu and now there are thousands... starting off from standstill the ecu is monitoring many car conditions, many variables, providing the best compromise of power and economy and wear, these calculations are magnified many many times over. But some geezer with a rolling road and a few staff members can alter these thousands of variables, remain within limits and sell 2 upgrades a week at £300 quid. I don’t think so.

Look at an air filter and housing, the car companies do provide the ‘best’ solution, quiet, refined, good availability of throttle response. If all you want is an induction roar, loads of noise and perhaps a bhp or 2 more (not noticeable) then but an induction kit. It’s not better however.

Putting 20% more power through the drive line, 20% more torque through the driveline simple means that the vehicle oporates outside of specification, outside what it was qualified to do and outside what it was built to do.

By all means chip,it’s a laugh, but expect the bills to come in for clutches, steering and drive train components etc etc. It’s not for me(outside of dactorytunes).
I completely understand where you come to your conclusions but sadly they're not quite right.

A mass produced engine comes from the factory with a 'best average' set up. This best average will work with every vehicle but it certainly won't be it's absolute optimum or it's absolute most efficient.

When you have a car mapped the technician analyses the 'best average' settings and make very small but very effective changes to unlock the car's potential. In essence they're just unlocking the hidden potential that's there all along but not accessed by the 'best average' settings.

It's not forcing an engine to do something it wasn't designed for, it's just unlocking the potential that was hiding there all along.

If an engine runs as efficiently as possible then it'll produce the most power it's efficiently able to do so but will also be as efficient on fuel as it can be because it'll be running at it's optimum in all respects.

All of the components fitted a car will have massive redundancy built into them, I would suggest probably 40% so going from 185bhp to 225bhp is still hugely within tolerance.

Of course of you own a car that's really worn out and you ask it to suddenly put up with a lot more stress then you'll run into troubles quickly. This is where you need to exercise some common sense.

My car is tight as a drum and I have no hesitation is having it mapped.

Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 10:44   #16
SwissXC90
Premier Member

My car has been running for 10 years now on a Heico Volvo-approved tune.

Back then, 10 years ago, it cost around 10x what it costs today.
But they provided proper homologation, certification, independent testing, and all the paperwork and identification to keep the authorities very happy.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 15:10   #17
steadvex
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunneruk View Post
Were there any down sides?
Its been on the car for over 3 years now, a friend of mine now owns it and has had zero issues.

Honestly I did burn the clutch out, but I think that was more of me going to Germany around the ring possibly driving well beyond my ability with a lot of dodgy gear changes... I would assume the map helped, but its done around 25k with that map on it since and the replacement clutch is still going strong

Before the sport map I had the Stage 1 applied for around a year then wanted to upgrade.

The sport map only goes onto a manual car, the auto box is limited with rica to 240hp to prevent damage
Old Sep 23rd, 2018, 17:19   #18
Tunneruk

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadvex View Post
Its been on the car for over 3 years now, a friend of mine now owns it and has had zero issues.

Honestly I did burn the clutch out, but I think that was more of me going to Germany around the ring possibly driving well beyond my ability with a lot of dodgy gear changes... I would assume the map helped, but its done around 25k with that map on it since and the replacement clutch is still going strong

Before the sport map I had the Stage 1 applied for around a year then wanted to upgrade.

The sport map only goes onto a manual car, the auto box is limited with rica to 240hp to prevent damage
What was the drivability and economy like?

Old Sep 27th, 2018, 18:27   #19
ronmanager

Volvo do their own Polestar remap for these cars so the tolerances are definitely already built in to the running gear.
Old Oct 1st, 2018, 23:37   #20
steadvex
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunneruk View Post
What was the drivability and economy like?
sorry to take so long to reply!

I found drivability much improved, economy is better as long as you don't keep using the power. But it can be hard not to use it when the road opens up.

Still not as good as the earlier D5's on fuel, but with that extra power it would be closer to the earlier D5. For me that was quite impressive. I used to average mid 40's, guy who bought it off me averages mid 50's, but he has a flatter commute I have a nice 4-5 mile very steep hill on the motorway to come home on which kills economy.

I had a very steep motorway commute coming home which even at 70 would kill economy, he has a flatter commute...