Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 Remap

Views : 2278

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 24th, 2018, 06:15   #11
mdmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quacker View Post
You must be seeing a different chart to what I’m seeing.
Right, wrongly read the labels, the new curve is consistently over the original one... :-(
mdmd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mdmd For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 28th, 2018, 17:39   #12

I have been searching for tuning boxes for ages. https://www.cpa-chiptuning.de/en/chi...uning_3398.htm
Cos look good but have just put the price up 50 euros as well which is annoying, also there is no eco map for the d5.
Dte/dtuk have no release date for one either.
It's a shame as the d5 lump clearly can handle more power and the v90 is crying out for extra oomph.

I have had tuning boxes on petrol and diesel cars with great results and the ability to remove them easily is a real bonus.
225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2018, 17:45   #13
S90
IT Guru

I wouldn’t touch a tuning box. I had one from a reputable company, caused no end of issues, plus if it does damage you can kiss your warranty goodbye
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 14:08   #14
whoami

Quote:
Originally Posted by S90 View Post
I wouldn’t touch a tuning box. I had one from a reputable company, caused no end of issues, plus if it does damage you can kiss your warranty goodbye
Which tuning company did you use?
whoami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 14:11   #15
S90
IT Guru

DTUK, I tried all the settings from the mildest to the most potent. All of them caused engine errors, of course they won't take a box back, they just want to tell you you've fitted it incorrectly etc etc.

To be honest, I think most tuning boxes are a scam and rip off, the connectors are generally really cheap quality and they all just fool the engine.
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 20:59   #16
Quacker
Premier Member

The only thing tuning boxes really do is raise the fuel rail pressure by altering the reading of the pressure sensor to the ECU.
There are some expansive ones, like the Steinbauer premium range that connect to individual injectors, but you are just as likely to throw fault codes in my experience. If you have a local Steinbauer area rep who will stand by the product, great, otherwise I wouldn't risk my money on any plug-in device.

Remaps are a different story. I had tuning boxes fitted to Range Rover and a BMW X5 and it did hardly anything to them. However I had a remap done on the Q7 and it really did work and was most impressive. Today's cars have ECU's that are locked down and require the ECU to be removed and some chips changed inside to allow a remap, so it's not as simple as it once was.

Honestly though, think about it. How much more power and torque do you think an emissionised 2.0litre diesel four cylinder can take before you risk major faults and big repair bills down the line? This Volvo turns out as much power and torque in standard form as my Q7 three litre six cylinder did after a remap.
The fuel rail [common rail] is pumped up to a constant 2500bar [36,500psi] on the standard engines. A tuning box might well increase that by over 10% to 2750bar [40,000psi]. Do you really think that is desirable and conducive to the CR pump and injector longevity?

Last edited by Quacker; Aug 29th, 2018 at 21:09.
Quacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 22:27   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by S90 View Post
DTUK, I tried all the settings from the mildest to the most potent. All of them caused engine errors, of course they won't take a box back, they just want to tell you you've fitted it incorrectly etc etc.

To be honest, I think most tuning boxes are a scam and rip off, the connectors are generally really cheap quality and they all just fool the engine.
Sounds like you had a bad experience. I have had two dtuk boxes however one for a Mazda 6 and one for a bmw 340i and both were good. Yes you had to fiddle to get the settings that made the engine happy but it does state that and the gains were very noticeable.

Modern boxes are fairly clever so long as you get a least a 3 channel one and you do generally get what you pay for. A 50 quid resistor in a box from eBay will get what you would expect.

Alot of the bmw folk tried many different boxes bluesparks, dtuk, jb4 etc and all were pretty good. Yes a 4pot derv will not get as big a gain as a 6 pot especially as the d5 is already slightly tuned over a d4 but I don't think 270 odd bhp is beyond safe possibility as most modern twin turbo 4pot diesel engines can remap to this via ecu or box.
225 is offline   Reply With Quote