Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

An expensive year

Views : 571

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 15th, 2018, 15:28   #1
cyclogenesis

Default An expensive year

Well after my trials and tribulations of getting the T5 through the MOT and its emissions test, I thought that was the end of the pain this year.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed a significant knocking on start up, idle and shut down. Must be a mount or something thought I. A couple of days later the car broke down on on Mrs C, after dropping me off at the station. That evening I went and recovered it, making sure I checked the codes first.

I pulled a Lambda Sonde and fuel trim code and then reset the adaptation. I then tried to drive it home and it was like riding a buckaroo, with it cutting out as soon as I came off the gas.

After I got the car home, I disconnected that battery to ensure the ECU memories were wiped (I have an unleaded factory ECU that I had reset with the tool and an LPG one that I must get a connector for). The next day, it was lumpy at idle but no real jumping but the knocking was still there.

Its easy to get frightened looking on the website as to cause so I thought logically that the two were not connected.

Changed Lambda Sonde (O2 sensor) and engine runs fine. The last one was 14 years old and cost £143 so I replaced with another genuine item (£200), heeding the caution on this forum.

The next thing was the knocking. Credit to Robert T5 and his videos for this, the lower engine mount, underneath the cambelt was completely shot and collapsed. Not bad for 220,000 miles over 22 years. £50 odd for a replacement and thankfully it was easy to replace. the two 14mm bolts into the block were fine but the two 17mm bolts that go into the subframe could have been a right royal, due to access. Thankfully, the light coating of engine oil in that area had kept the rust away and they came out with a spanner and a little persuasion. Took a bout 1 hour all told.

So this year I have replaced, plugs, leads, ignition coil, dizzy cap, rotor arm, MAF sensor and 02 sensor.

Still to do, the front and rear engine mounts which are a little more tricky to get to.

Thank god for credit cards.
cyclogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cyclogenesis For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 00:10   #2
byootox
Premier Member

You call that an expensive year on one of these motors lol
If that's all you've had to do it's been a good year for you sir.
I've had about six years out of mine now and recently the repairs have been getting heavier in cost by a fair margin.
The mount is a common problem on these though, particularly the more powerful models.
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 09:54   #3
cyclogenesis

Lol. Yeah thanks. I suppose its all relative. Ive had a few years of very low costs. Ive had the big ones several years ago. £2500 for the crank oil seal and a new flywheel, £2000 odd for the heater matrix and aircon. Cheers for the reply.
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 12:17   #4
sdg1970
Master Member

I've had my 97R a year now and replaced rear shocks and springs, N/s rear sub frame Bush, both front drop links, both front wishbones, both brake calipers, cambelt and water pump, top engine mount, both o2 Sensors (Bosch), MAF (Bosch), all turbo and intercooler piping (D088), all vac lines and NRV's, turbo recirc valve, TCV. Im sure I've left something out, but it's got to the stage where I don't care anymore and am going to take it off the road soon...
sdg1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 15:08   #5
winsox

I love my 850r. I tend to replace things before they fail. The car is paid for and i dont really like any other cars out there. I think you got to love these to keep them ship shape...dont forget they are getting on a bit...how many new cars will be around in 20 odd years....not many...

My car gives me goose bumps still when I get in it...and brings a smile to my face when i floor it...as long as bills dont go over 1000 a year im happy. i do most of the work myself and that saves a fortune.

Volvo 850R Estate 1996 Manual Conversion
SLK AMG 350 R172
winsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 21:00   #6
byootox
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis View Post
Lol. Yeah thanks. I suppose its all relative. Ive had a few years of very low costs. Ive had the big ones several years ago. £2500 for the crank oil seal and a new flywheel, £2000 odd for the heater matrix and aircon. Cheers for the reply.
OHH...ok lol that's more like it!!
Yeah that's a bit more clipping of ones financial wings I'd say
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 21:18   #7
winsox

jesus. who was this with heater matrix is 35quid for the part ...and can be fitted in a hour..labour is what kills it if you cannot do it yourself. ;-(

Volvo 850R Estate 1996 Manual Conversion
SLK AMG 350 R172
winsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 15:34   #8
cyclogenesis

It was indeed the labour. It was primarily the Aircon evaporator which was holed and i left it until the heater matrix also failed. It was then a dashboard out job and replace which at the time was too many spanners for me. Don't judge me!
Old Aug 26th, 2018, 14:38   #9
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Don't want to make you feel too bad, but if you've got a Denso car, the genuine and proper Lambda O2 is only £70 on eBay all day long. [9202309 Denso 3310] Denso DOX1419.
That's for the proper, proper Denso part.

I suppose you can pay £200, but only if you insist.

Volvo 9202309 is Denso DOX1419

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Aug 26th, 2018 at 14:42.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2018, 21:40   #10
cyclogenesis

I dont feel bad.

Last edited by cyclogenesis; Aug 27th, 2018 at 21:42.