Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Auto shifter removal

Views : 589

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 13th, 2018, 08:49   #1
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Default Auto shifter removal

Hi all

I have got a blind to replace the one I accidently broke when changing the bulb in the shifter mechanism.

But how do I remove the shifter (1997 so rounded style not the old square one).

I can't get access to replace the blind without removing it.

I have looked online but can't find anything specific to the 940 auto.

Thanks all
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13th, 2018, 22:31   #2
Forrest
VOC Member

There are a couple of ways of tackling the job but I found the easiest was to raise the top cover enough to swap the blind strip over. It won't pass right over the shifter, but it will lift up just enough to access what you need. Remember to retrieve all the broken bits.

To release the cover you have to pull it forward or push it back off the little plastic hooks. It takes quite a bit of force to free it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Selector01.JPG (116.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Selector02.JPG (63.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Selector03.JPG (112.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Selector04.JPG (78.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Selector05.JPG (127.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Selector06.JPG (75.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Selector07.JPG (72.3 KB, 15 views)
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 20:48   #3
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
There are a couple of ways of tackling the job but I found the easiest was to raise the top cover enough to swap the blind strip over. It won't pass right over the shifter, but it will lift up just enough to access what you need. Remember to retrieve all the broken bits.

To release the cover you have to pull it forward or push it back off the little plastic hooks. It takes quite a bit of force to free it.
Thanks, I did this to change the bulb and ended up cracking the trim so seeing as the damage is done I might as well do it again.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2018, 23:06   #4
Forrest
VOC Member

I just replaced one this evening on one of my 940s. It has been broken since the cold weather in March. The cover came off remarkably easily by pushing forwards (towards the P) from the back (the 1 end) and lifting the back up first. Mine was made easier because there was a small crack in the plastic on the narrow piece in front of the shifter which made it possible to pull it further up than otherwise. Since this really doesn’t show when it’s all put together I’d be almost inclined to cut it there if it’s too much of a fiddle otherwise.

Things to note are that there is a little white piece in the blind strip that you have to transfer to the new one and the bit that holds this slides along a grove in the cover so that needs to be positioned carefully when you reinstall it.

The part number for the blind strip is 3549927 for anyone looking for one.

I have in the past repaired one by gluing it back together and reinforcing it with some thick clear plastic cut from a blister pack. Using clear plastic enables you to run it across the bit the light shines through. My repair has actually lasted longer than a new replacement on another car.
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 16:09   #5
827Roverman
VOC Member

Question 940 shifter panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Hi all

I have got a blind to replace the one I accidently broke when changing the bulb in the shifter mechanism.

But how do I remove the shifter (1997 so rounded style not the old square one).

I can't get access to replace the blind without removing it.

I have looked online but can't find anything specific to the 940 auto.

Thanks all
I'm in a similar situation one of the brushes has come off mine, plus the panel is cracked both top and bottom, I do have a replacement but I don't think it will go over the selector knob, its quite involved to remove the stick and I don't want to go down that road of unsoldering and re-soldering wires, has anybody ever replaced the panel without removing the stick. David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S6004850.jpg (82.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg S6004849.jpg (149.2 KB, 10 views)
827Roverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19th, 2018, 21:54   #6
Forrest
VOC Member

It used to be possible to obtain a replacement for the “sticker” with the letters and numbers on. This enabled you to glue your broken plastic selector gate and then make it good. In theory, you could carefully cut a scrapyard replacement and then do the same thing, but I’ve never tried it. The approach I might one day take is to replace the whole selector mechanism which involves accessing the top of the gearbox from under the car. Mine doesn’t look that bad though.