Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 300/66 Series General

Notices

300/66 Series General Forum for the Volvo 340, 360 and 66 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Most stupid question ever

Views : 2344

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 13:17   #1
PPPP

Hi I have just bought a 340 1.7 GL and I cannot get the sump plug off. Having connect a socket to the plug is it anti clockwise or clockwise. Both directions seem impossible. So pull towards drivers side or passengers.

I do apologies for this but I am stuck

Yours

Mari

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 13:37   #2
MMMM

This truly is the most stupid question ever - I really wish people like you would stop posting this sort of rubbish on this site - if you were a REAL Volvo enthusiast you would know the answer to this. I could bet any money that is not your real name - you're probably some bloke sat in some corporate office earning mega-bucks and just pottering around in your old Volvo as a weekend hobby, between visits to posh designer outlets.

Just so you know - the answer is ANTI CLOCKWISE!!!!!
Old Jul 9th, 2002, 10:41   #3
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Default RE: Most stupid question ever

I don't think the question is so stupid, and I don't think such a rude reply is called for.
It is often the case that a nut or bolt seems so tight that one begins to question the direction, and it does make sense to ask before damaging something.
Yes, I know 99.99999% of sump plugs unscrew anti-clockwise, but if you find one that appears not to want to undo, it is not unreasonable to wonder.

The secret of undoing a really tight plug, or anything else, is to get a really solid anchorage with a decent socket or spanner that has a good leverage. If the flats have been rounded it is often worth a bit of work with a file getting two flat again to take the next size down, and then get a new one of course.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2002, 21:56   #4
Matt360

Hi Cliff and Mari,

totally agree with your statements,

if mmmm was to read the posts, they would have seen that i too had the same problem with the sump plug.

ive worked with various cars all my life, and you never know what each manufacturer gets up to when they thread items,..

peugot quite often use left hand threads

and when your applying a load to a conventional plug ie a lenght of scaffold pole attached to a socket, the question does crop up am i turning it the right way???
the purpose of the forum is for owners/ enthusiasts to share a common knowledge pool

as part of my daily job i get calls from many people with questions about parts we produce

all get a polite and helpfull response.. regardless of what the question is

one day you may need help from that person

bear that in mind

rant over

Matt
Old Jul 11th, 2002, 09:34   #5
PPPP

All,

Many thanks for the help. I eventually got it of as suggested with a socket, extension and a lot of force.

But again thanks.

Mari
Old Jul 11th, 2002, 11:22   #6
MMMM

OK, if the majority opinion is that my response was a bit short, then I take your comments on board and apologise. It just seems a bit of a waste of time when people insist on asking the same questions as have been previously asked. Why don't they take time to read the forum - they may learn lots of things that will come in handy for their future jobs.

And without wishing to appear sexist, it seems like a very female-type approach to life to just panic as soon as they're faced with a job they can't handle - a bloke would sit down and think through the problem logically, reading the appropriate handbooks (or web forums, for the more 'techy' owners amongst us!). But a woman just reverts to instant panic mode, thinking she's the only one who's ever experienced this problem - seen it so many times before! Let's face it lads, how many of US would honestly ask whether you push something to the drivers side or passengers side???? I rest my case!

Anyway, like I say, sorry if my original reply was a bit rude - perhaps the answer is to have a separate forum for the 'ladies' and keep this one sensible!!!

Regards,

Peter.
Old Jul 11th, 2002, 22:42   #7
migrator
Aye - him again

Default RE: Most stupid question ever

MMMM,

Now I am getting confused.

The profile entry for MMMM gives the name as Bob Smith, yet the post is signed 'Peter'.

Read the forum - yes, a good idea but how many of us do that before entering a question? How many of us know how to make a good search of the archive? How many of us would even reckon that there was someone else showing the same (embarassing) lack of knowledge?

If the entries in this forum are not sensible enough for you perhaps you should be looking elsewhere and leave us mere mortals to help out as best we can.

(Ouch - that's another knuckle ...)
VOC 11817
migrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12th, 2002, 01:45   #8
johndglynn

Default RE: Not the most stupid question ever

What's wrong with the question then - the sump plug won't come out of my 940 TD at all for me, and I'm a qualified mechanic with more tools than room in the garage........where's that chisel gone....

Costs nothing to be polite at the end of the day - if anyone makes it to this site then they're an enthusiast too and fair play is what regulars here should be saying to them, whatever the question.

JG
johndglynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2002, 17:13   #9
jaytee
Jim

It looks to me like Messrs MMMM and PPPP are the same person since they have the same sort of name (4 Capital letters) and both became members on the same day. Looks like someone is winding up the REAL members and taking the ****!
Anyway no-one could be so rude and stupid without trying. Could they??

Jaytee
jaytee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2002, 16:14   #10
PPPP

Hi All, No we are not the same person.

I just needed help and thankfully found it. I think somebody was trying to show me up, thankfully I did find sensible people.

Cheers all and thanks again.