Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What I did today thread...

Views : 321870

Replies : 3013

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 21st, 2018, 17:41   #1511
Willow place

Test day! the tester didn't bother to plug the code reader in , revved the engine t0 3,000 rpm, (ok) on to the Vibrating plates, took a LONG time on the front suspension, then moved on and got the PASS ticket ! No advisories, Nada !! Must mention the Cleaner, stuck a bottle of Forte in the tank 2 days before, when taking the car for the test what a difference We only clock about 3,000 miles per year, so it appears to have cleaned something ? This afternoon done another Fluid dump, managed to get 4 litres out this time, still a bit murky, Stuck another bottle of Lubegard Red in with the new 4 litres . Must be like a new 'box now ????
Willow place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 17:59   #1512
jnmonaghan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma70 View Post
Agree with all the above... I'd much rather replace the odd bulb than have to find a replacement car.
Did you see the piece in the Sunday Times (19 Aug. P7)that the EU is to impose one of its last bands on consumers- putting an end to the sale of halogen bulbs and forcing a switch to LED replacements.
It means that from the 1 sept.halogen bulbs can no longer be produced or imported!!

Jude
jnmonaghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 19:34   #1513
ma70
Curmudgeon with a turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnmonaghan View Post
Did you see the piece in the Sunday Times (19 Aug. P7)that the EU is to impose one of its last bands on consumers- putting an end to the sale of halogen bulbs and forcing a switch to LED replacements.
It means that from the 1 sept.halogen bulbs can no longer be produced or imported!!

Jude
No, I don't read the papers or watch any "news". It's only depressing and generally hyped up rubbish. So I hadn't heard about this, but I very much doubt it'll happen in any enforceable way.

Halogen bulbs will have to be available, LED technology is not yet properly approved for lamps designed for halogen as far as I know & even if it were there's bound to be some form of loophole. (ebay for a start, unless customs are going to be actively stopping halogen bulbs in the same way they do cocaine etc). And who's to say I fitted/bought them after the "cut off date"?

Load of rot IMO.
ma70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 19:39   #1514
ma70
Curmudgeon with a turbo

Anyway, onto what I did today.

Received the HU603 from Adamr, modified the face plate to fit our '06 S80 and installed that (yet to finish as dinner was served!).

Now we have sound again, after I messed up repairing the HU850 It was going so well until I so skilfully lifted a pad/track on one of the transistor locations! At least the 603 should be reliable, and we have the added bonus of a tape deck (old skool FTW lol).
Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 22:22   #1515
js7799
250K and Counting

I finally got around to replacing the fuel pump I seemingly destroyed with a bottle of Seafoam in the fuel tank. I picked up a used pump and sender unit for £40 from Lakes Volvo in Wyboston. Thanks Volvo for putting access covers over these parts, it definitely made the job a lot easier.
2002 Volvo V70
2009 Volvo V70 SE 2.0
js7799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2018, 17:24   #1516
petey
Master Member

I drove a W12 Bentley Bentayga; 0-62 in sub 4 seconds.

Nothing to do whatsoever with my V70, but it was pretty cool!
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to petey For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 24th, 2018, 17:36   #1517
oragex
Premier Member

Quote:
Received the HU603 from Adamr, modified the face plate to fit our '06 S80 and installed that
Did you just swap the face plate between the two units?
Old Aug 24th, 2018, 20:01   #1518
ma70
Curmudgeon with a turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
Did you just swap the face plate between the two units?
Sadly impossible to do, since the 603 has a tape deck and the connectors are slightly different sizes too. Otherwise I would have gone this route. (also appears not to be possible to fit the 6CD changer from the 850 into the 603 as the connectors look to be different, although I didn't open up the new unit to confirm.)

What I ended up doing was stripping both faceplates down to just the black plastic, laying the 850 one over the top of the 603, scribing a line round the right hand edge and then took the excess material off with a flap disc. The pre-facelift has a wider more squared top right corner (or maybe it's a V70 Vs S80 thing? unsure which) and is a few mm shorter top to bottom also but overall it's perfectly acceptable for the moment. it doesn't get anywhere near any circuit board or switches, purely cosmetic.

You'd struggle to tell it was different unless it was pointed out and having a working stereo/sat nav voice more than makes it worthwhile. If I find a correct shaped 603 faceplate in a scrapyard sometime in future I'll see if it will fit.
The Following User Says Thank You to ma70 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 25th, 2018, 15:52   #1519
ma70
Curmudgeon with a turbo

Just finished replacing the rear shocks on the S80... What a pleasant vehicle to work on, even coming from a rust-prone area of Scotland and having 192k on the clock the bolts undid perfectly happily and the swap was as simple as jacking up, dropping the old units out and bolting up the new. Took longer to jack the car up and wait for air to build on my compressor than it did to swap them!

Also gave the wheels/hub spigots a bit of a clean and wipe of copaslip since they were dry and corroding. Off for a quick test drive shortly.
Old Aug 25th, 2018, 20:21   #1520
oragex
Premier Member

Quote:
Just finished replacing the rear shocks on the S80... What a pleasant vehicle to work on, even coming from a rust-prone area of Scotland and having 192k on the clock the bolts undid perfectly happily and the swap was as simple as jacking up, dropping the old units out and bolting up the new. Took longer to jack the car up and wait for air to build on my compressor than it did to swap them!

Volvo used on P2 a high quality metal alloys for most hardware , reason why many bolts are so easy to remove. There are still a few ugly ones, but overall this is indeed a very easy vehicle to work on for 80% of the items. Makes me remember of a Vw and Honda I had, in comparison that was epic work on those cars (not in a good way).