Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 D5 - Loud whoosh noise, then no power

Views : 4321

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 19th, 2016, 20:13   #1
robocorpse

Default V70 D5 - Loud whoosh noise, then no power

Hi, I have a '06 V70 D5, 185k miles. I had one very loud POP-WHOOOSH! noise this morning when accelerating from standstill (at normal speeds), then almost total loss of power, and can hear air rushing when I hit the accelerator. Car won't rev over 1100rpm without loads of air noises and is pretty much undriveable as I can't get any power at all, had to limp it home at 15mph in idle, thankfully 2 roads from home. If I tried to push it over 1100 it got lumpy and felt like it would stall. I've looked quickly at the visible hoses with someone revving for me, but cant see any splits or movement, and the turbo intake hose is not soft. There is no whine or grind, just loud air. I'm not so good on engine work, but I could use some guidance before I get it towed to a garage. Can anyone advise what the fault might be? Many thanks in advance.
robocorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2016, 20:18   #2
xco
Premier Member

Smile

Sounds like you've popped or split the turbo charge pipe ....sounds like a steam engine now and you going nowhere fast.....quite common fault.....did it last year on my xc90 ...scared the bejesus out of me..... if its that... a good indie will fix it for about £145.00 all in.
Wherever you go............There you are!!!
xco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2016, 20:42   #3
robocorpse

Thanks for the reply. That's what I was hoping, got a minor problem in as much as the nearest Indie I trust is 50 miles away, and nearest Volvo MD are only 3 miles away, but on a busy A road, so getting the car there is going to be interesting Would this be do-able by a mobile mechanic? It looks like a pig to get out and back in. Failing that, what do you reckon Volvo are going to charge me if I take it there?
robocorpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2016, 21:52   #4
xco
Premier Member

Thumbs up

Hi M8

I know how you feel I had to drive 20 miles to my indie to get it fixed . It wont harm the car but as you say you can make some real enemies on a busy road whilst driving there.

Mine was a pig to repair as the pipe partially runs at the side and almost under the engine so my indie had to slightly lift the engine with some twisting and cursing of the pipe before the new one could be fitted and then test it to make sure the pipe had settled into its correct position.

I can only suggest that you phone both the main stealer AND your indie to get price comparisons and ask your indie if it is the Charge pipe if he can come to you to fix it but anyways a decision has to be made either way as I think it is an order item(Your local stealer may have it on the shelf but again a looksee is necessary to see if it is that pipe so once its off a new one will have to be ordered of the right type) so if your indie removes it on your premises to inspect it he will have to have another one to replace it.

Either way you are going to be carless for a day.

Can your indie provide you with a loan car whilst yours is in ? If so my advise would be to phone him and ask him if he can provide a car, tell him what you think it is and take a slow mid morning drive to him with perhaps a sign on the back of your car PLEASE PASS.

Hope this helps.
Wherever you go............There you are!!!
xco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2016, 10:42   #5
Fearone

May be of help http://www.forum-auto.com/marques/volvo/sujet5285.htm

Had same problem, about 8£ for 2 silicone gaskets from dealers. Easy job.
Fearone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25th, 2016, 10:03   #6
Darkest Stockton-on-Tees

I had this also, but mine was the where the plastic pipe connetcted to the turbo, It had just blown off, luckily I still had the rubber seal and a new clip and 20 mins later it was fixed and has been o.k for the last 6 months ( touch wood).
Plus the bolt holding/supporting the plastic pipe to the bottom of the engine sump had broken but a tie wrap fixed that
111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2018, 08:49   #7
Johnharle

Hi I just had this. I whoosh then light came on to say service engine required. Where is the turbo on these cars? Had a look and can’t see it
Johnharle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2018, 09:12   #8
Darkest Stockton-on-Tees

It's at the back of the engine near the bulkhead, quite easy to get to from below once you remove the plastic splatter guard if you have one, mine was the pipe from the turbo going under the engine to the intercooler, yours may be any of the other pressurised pipes.
Old Jul 25th, 2018, 10:02   #9
Johnharle

Great thanks I will have a look when I get home from work tonight. Hope it’s just popped off. Will the fault clear it will I have to have it reset?
Johnharle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25th, 2018, 10:11   #10
Darkest Stockton-on-Tees

Mine just cleared itself after a couple of days, I would guess yours would do the same, although it may show up as a stored fault if you ever got the codes read.