Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

More electrical problems

Views : 845

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 8th, 2018, 21:20   #1
arcturus
arcturus

Default More electrical problems

Teething troubles no doubt after fire. Car running well, all electrics working but amp light staying on, no charge it would seem.Wiring and connections double checked. D+ on relay stays open. Should close when charging. Could have been damaged by heat but looks fine. Can i check dynamo output before relay with meter? Pos of meter to D+ and neg to earth? Battery registering about 6.5V with and without engine running. No Change.
BTW what would I do without my trusty Olympus camera. A picture is worth one thousand words!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180808_01_02.jpg (150.4 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by arcturus; Aug 8th, 2018 at 21:27.
arcturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 10:39   #2
arcturus
arcturus

Double checked wiring, changed regulator. No change, light stays on. Close points manually,light goes off. 6 volts at D+on charge relay. Help!

sorted! the schematic shows DF & D+ connections on the left and right of the dynamo when in reality it's the other way round. I was blindly following the schematic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inscricion caramulo.jpg (289.9 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by arcturus; Aug 9th, 2018 at 11:41.
Old Aug 9th, 2018, 12:17   #3
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

arcturus;

Reference first graphic here: https://www.sw-em.com/Bosch%20Genera...n%20Detail.htm (specifically for 12V, but much of it applicable to your 6V system. I have also written Mr. Scholz and asked him if he has info on the differences between the 12V VReg shown with two coils and 6V VReg with three coils as you have).

I would expect the AMP Indicator to go OFF when closing the contact associated with D+ since this essentially shorts across the Lamp...results of a test I'd rather see is if you what I'd rather see is when closing the contact associated with DF terminal with raised RPMs (this connects the DF terminal to chassis to manually enable Field current and hopefully result in Gen output, and that should extinguish AMP Ind!) ...that would check if Gen is capable of putting out...monitor sys voltage to see if there is a rise indicating Gen is putting out.

See also at link, the sections: "Gen turning at low speed" and "Gen turning at elevated speed"...try to understand these operating modes and their relation and interaction with the VReg.

Good Hunting!

Edit; Happy that you got it sorted!

Last edited by Ron Kwas; Aug 9th, 2018 at 12:26.
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 09:19   #4
arcturus
arcturus

Back on topic again. I sent my 123 dizy for investigation and bench tests found no fault but they changed the PCB any way. I should get it back any day now but before I re fit it I would like to know what part the voltage regulator plays as, "spiking" was claimed to have been the cause of the original fault, severe miss firing. My question is , should the problem arise again what fault in the relay would cause this "spiking"problem? I was also advised to disconnect the + from the generator temporarily to see if this cured the problem which i suspect would indicate a faulty relay. 6.08 volt tick over,rising to 6.80 on revs.

Last edited by arcturus; Aug 29th, 2018 at 10:21.
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 11:02   #5
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Arcturus;

"Spiking" is just a general term for electrical noise which might/is likely to be, caused by the contacts of VReg opening or closing (Gen Filed winding has high inductance, so making or braking current through it will cause big spikes on the entire vehicle elec bus!), or the brush-noise on Gen output...if Ign dropouts occur concurrent with VReg contact action, or due to brush-noise, then Ign electronics may be underfiltered, too sensitive, and indeed have trouble functioning reliably...if symptoms persist, I suggest installing some filter caps on Gen Field and D+ output terminals...let's see what happens when you get Ign unit back...

Cheers
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 11:42   #6
arcturus
arcturus

Just got this back in reply to my request for more info'.
The voltage regulator switches on and off when the battery is low 12,6 V or high 14,8V.

The contacts produce a spike and our electronics starts to protect the PCB, so the electronics stops working for a brief moment.

We have made that point a little more forgiving.

Best regards,

Ron Tettero
Just how often does the regulator switch on and off when on the road. Is it continuous,every 20 of 30 seconds for example or is it in a steady state with only occasional switching ?

Last edited by arcturus; Aug 29th, 2018 at 11:46.
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 12:14   #7
blueosprey90
Master Member

If you are running a generator (rather than an alternator) you might need to polarize the generator. Not sure of the best way to do it on a PV, but in the MG world it is very simple.

see 2:40 here https://youtu.be/wH_yIeKsBSM

https://youtu.be/PPUfQtVEJGg

(edit) OOPS! see you have it sorted.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 13:15   #8
arcturus
arcturus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
Arcturus;

"Spiking" is just a general term for electrical noise which might/is likely to be, caused by the contacts of VReg opening or closing (Gen Filed winding has high inductance, so making or braking current through it will cause big spikes on the entire vehicle elec bus!), or the brush-noise on Gen output...if Ign dropouts occur concurrent with VReg contact action, or due to brush-noise, then Ign electronics may be underfiltered, too sensitive, and indeed have trouble functioning reliably...if symptoms persist, I suggest installing some filter caps on Gen Field and D+ output terminals...let's see what happens when you get Ign unit back...

Cheers
Are you referring to what I would call a suppressor?
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 13:54   #9
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Arcturus;

VReg switches continuously and the actual rate and duty cycle is a function of what loads are currently powered on the elec bus, Chg Sys output (which is again a function of RPMs) and state of Battery...so it's easy to see that its complicated, variable and quite unpredictable...reliable solution is to install electronic filtering components to minimize whenever it occurs. Elec Ign Module should have some, but it may not be enough for 6V operation where current are higher, so sparks have more energy to quench...

Cheers
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 13:56   #10
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

"suppressor?"...yes as a general term, but specifically it should be capacitor(s)...see link.