Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Airbag light issue (MoT failure)

Views : 976

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 20th, 2018, 12:44   #1
AdamW

Default Airbag light issue (MoT failure)

Hi all

I've got an 06 S60 which sat laid up for nearly 2 years following my dad's sudden passing. I shouldn't have left it to stand but was in a bit of a bad way.

Anyway, I took it for an MoT earlier this year and it failed on only one issue, airbag light on the dash.

As I'm short of money, I've asked a couple of mechanics to look at it who are family friends (and they are good mechanics). They've found it is a CAN communication issue, but haven't been able to do anything to fix it. Things that have been tried including getting replacement airbag module and cloning over the data from the old one.

Anyway my question is this, is there anything or anyone I can try before I give up on the car and sell it as a MoT failure? I have thought about taking it to a main dealer as they'll have all the right diagnostic equipment, even if they might sting in me in the process. Car is Herne Bay Kent.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts
AdamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 13:03   #2
reggit
Premier Member

If you’ve got Vida/dice, post the error codes on here so we can see what it’s reporting.
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 13:22   #3
davebb
Premier Member

Remove the LED from the DIM pcb,
Dave

Last edited by davebb; Aug 20th, 2018 at 14:36.
davebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 15:30   #4
reggit
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebb View Post
Remove the LED from the DIM pcb,
Dave
It'll fail if you do as it's supposed to illuminate for a few seconds then go out. I'd of course never suggest a timer circuit.....
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 20:05   #5
ma70
Curmudgeon with a turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by reggit View Post
It'll fail if you do as it's supposed to illuminate for a few seconds then go out. I'd of course never suggest a timer circuit.....
Neither would I, and I certainly don't have a cheap 12v adjustable timer circuit in my draw that I bought as a last resort for our white Xantia

(I fixed that in the end, with just a multimeter and patience. it was one of the passenger side airbag/pretensioner wires).

I suppose it's an option if you're just after buying time to evaluate the rest of the car before deciding if its worth spending the money to repair properly, but its definitely illegal to do so and would be highly immoral to let anyone else drive it in this state.

I wonder if it just needs resetting in Vida though, as it's been sat a while it may have got confused. Ideally someone locally will be able to offer assistance with a code reading/reset.
ma70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 21:12   #6
Brendan W
Premier Member

I had module communication problems. Got one on ebay for a tenner, exact match of part number, fitted, cleared light with VIDA and that was that.
Really need to get the codes read to be sure. A lot of things can put that light on. Not casting doubt on their ability but ............... what error codes did they come up with. Attempting to clone sounds like they are not aware of how simply this can be done.
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=276811
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 13:41   #7
AdamW

Thanks for all the replies everyone. A Volve dealer said it would be £87 to run a diagnostic, so am going to follow suggestions of getting a VIDA on there.

Will update in a few days when I have tracked one down.
AdamW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2018, 22:18   #8
barrybritcher
Flaccid Member

you can borrow my tool if you want, paypal me £35 as a deposit and when i get it back ill send you £30
barrybritcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to barrybritcher For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 16:21   #9
Geoff moore

Default Srs warning light

If the warning lamp does not illuminate at the time of the mot it is a pass and advise if it stays on its a fail however you should fix it as it is a safety aspect
Geoff moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29th, 2018, 17:36   #10
petey
Master Member

At the risk of sounding all nanny-state, although I have zero data for this sweeping statement, it is my estimation that very few, in fact statistically none of the people who’s airbag went off today or any other day planned for it to happen and a similar number had more than a couple of seconds’ warning.

I would guess that very close to none of the people who’s airbag went off today suffered more than they were saved. Yes, there was some disorientation, flash burns and maybe friction burns to the inside of the wrists, but in almost each case, injuries were lesser than if there’d been no airbag. Worldwide, many will still have succumbed to injuries I’m sure, but not too many were genuinely worse off.

You are fortunate to have a system, developed by killing hundreds of crash test dummies and scribbling literally millions of dollar pounds in vehicles, all to protect you when attention or friction cannot. Please don’t be looking for ways to circumvent this device that may well be the difference between you needing a dental brace and some burn cream for a couple of weeks, and you being branded with a Volvo logo in for your forehead which is now 3 inches closer to the back of your head.
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to petey For This Useful Post: