Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Blue smoke

Views : 695

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 20th, 2018, 20:34   #1
byootox
Premier Member

Default Blue smoke

Posted up a while back about this.
After being at high speed and coming to a stop then taking off I get a puff of blue smoke which only lasts a few seconds and is then gone.
I was in at the weekend replacing a cracked exhaust manifold with a japanifold but noticed the turbo was excessively worn(blades touching sides)
So new nuts,studs,manifold gaskets and a new turbo later some previous boost issues now resolved.
But it still gives a puff of blue after deceleration from high speed when taking off again off but to a lesser extent now.
Replaced all the breather system a couple of years ago, not the worst, but it had been worth doing anyway, slight suction on cap and dipstick which is always good news.
The holes in the block looked ok at that time as well.
However... I was wondering how bad the lower oil separator drain hole is for clogging up on these ?? particularly in the sump casting as the glove test certainly wouldn't show this fault up.
Not getting any puff of blue on start up or long idling conditions that would suggest stem seals although at 20 years I'm sure there past there best.
My thoughts are if the oil is getting dragged into the separator but not draining back into the sump it may be sooking a little bit in to the manifold then burning it.
Other than that the engine pulls like a champ with almost no smoke under heavy acceleration and no leaks whatsoever.

Last edited by byootox; Aug 20th, 2018 at 20:51.
byootox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2018, 21:38   #2
huron
Master Member

I'd say that's valve stem seals.
Old Aug 21st, 2018, 08:37   #3
sdg1970
Master Member

Mine put the odd wuff of white/bluish smoke out when hot (on a hot day) after a period of idling, then taking up load. I was using 0/30 fully synthetic, but changed to 15/40 semi and it's been fine since.
sdg1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 19:54   #4
byootox
Premier Member

Thanks for the input guys.
It would seem this is a common problem with these engines once the miles get up a bit.
I noticed on the American forums where they do much higher miles than us it seems to be really prevalent.
I'll spend another Saturday to drop the sump and make sure the breather drain hole gallery isn't blocked in the sump pan casting and bottom of the block and if it's fine I'll stick a set of stem seals in it and see if it cures it.
Old Aug 22nd, 2018, 20:20   #5
Dippydog
Premier Member

Out of interest can the stem seals on these be replaced with the head in situ-I know you can on some engines-or does the head need removing?
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 19:41   #6
byootox
Premier Member

I believe so, you can get the tool on ebay for doing them in situ.
Plus you need air pressure down the plug hole to keep the valves in place when pushing against them.
I've got a compressor now so might have a go this way.
Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 20:56   #7
Dippydog
Premier Member

I should still have the tool somewhere for doing the Ford CVH engines,which I also managed to make work on a Senator 3L 12v straight 6 engine.Never had access to a compressor for the air pressure thing I just fed string into the plug holes*and then turned the engine by hand so the piston compressed that against the valves.

* If doing this at home kiddies don't forget to leave some of the string outside the plug hole so you can pull the string back out afterwards
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24th, 2018, 00:19   #8
byootox
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
I should still have the tool somewhere for doing the Ford CVH engines,which I also managed to make work on a Senator 3L 12v straight 6 engine.Never had access to a compressor for the air pressure thing I just fed string into the plug holes*and then turned the engine by hand so the piston compressed that against the valves.

* If doing this at home kiddies don't forget to leave some of the string outside the plug hole so you can pull the string back out afterwards
12v Senator engine was one heavy lump of a thing, cast cylinder head if memory serves
Old Aug 24th, 2018, 02:09   #9
sdg1970
Master Member

I've done the rope trick many times over the years on various Cortinas and Capris with a Pinto in them.

On a different note I think I've managed to revitalise the seals in my V70R, by doing a myriad oil changes over the past 12 months and adding oodles of 'Stop Leak'.
sdg1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2018, 17:38   #10
Clogs
Clogs

Default Stop leak

While this stuff may solve the problem temporarily, it's sticky goo and will clog your turbo pipes and cling to places it oughtn't cling to, which will then overheat and form a nasty crust inside parts of the engine that can do without nasty crusts of baked oil. If you're keeping the car, you're just storing up problems for later. I wouldn't touch the stuff.

Worn parts get worn because the oil wasn't changed often enough and the wrong oil is used.
Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote