Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

CFE PLUS Review

Views : 617

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 9th, 2018, 09:11   #1
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Default CFE PLUS Review

I bought a CFE PLUS to replace the CFE in my MY2009 XC90

I specifically wanted some of the cool new features.
But at the same time I was quite disappointed at one key aspect

So here's a quick review.
Lots of cool new features. I like the RTI auto-accept on the warning message the most. Display of turbo boost in Bar is great too. I had up to 1.25 bar boost yesterday
Also has oil temp, trains temp, rear haldex diff temp, and more.

But it doesn't physically fit in the XC90. Big surprise. The module is about 3mm bigger than the old CFE and the OBDII port access door will not close. In the end I unscrewed the OBDII socket bracket, left it hanging loose on one screw with some foam jammed it to stop it rattling. And then the door could close.
I might have to get a short flat OBDII extension cable and place the CFE PLUS down by the bonnet opener somewhere.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.

Last edited by SwissXC90; Dec 9th, 2018 at 09:15.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2019, 19:37   #2
DillAg13

Thanks for posting this, could you provide any feedback on how responsive the boost is? I'm contemplating getting either the CFEplus for boost readout or just putting that off and getting a boost gauge.
DillAg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2019, 21:37   #3
SwissXC90
Premier Member

The CFEplus updates the DIM's text screen about 1x per second

Interesting to watch it but if you are driving under max boost then your eyes should be on the road, not on the text display in the cluster
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 09:16   #4
idiotgap

I bought a CFE-Plus recently for my 2013 XC90

I had problems initially not able to scroll through DIM options with the mirror joystick, but was advised to use the beta firmware rather than the one the update tool downloads itself by default which resolved that.

Now I have my rear fog light spontaneously turning on occasionally which I assume is due to the CFE-Plus so I'll raise a case for that with them.
idiotgap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 10:59   #5
idiotgap

Quote:
Originally Posted by idiotgap View Post
Now I have my rear fog light spontaneously turning on occasionally which I assume is due to the CFE-Plus so I'll raise a case for that with them.
I'm not so sure about this now, I decided to monitor it and work out what steps you need to take to reproduce the problem. I suspect I might just be activating the fog light with my thumb when I'm releasing the handbrake.
idiotgap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22nd, 2019, 12:01   #6
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

Yes - I do that from time to time too.

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harley Dave For This Useful Post:

Tags
cfe plus