Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Load cover

Views : 2262

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 20th, 2018, 23:01   #1
dan 244
Master Member

Default Load cover

I’m looking for a good condition load cover for a 240 Torslanda, anyone got one for sale or know of someone that has? Thanks
dan 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2018, 09:34   #2
dan 244
Master Member

These must be rare! Anyone know of where to get one? Thanks
Old Dec 1st, 2018, 15:22   #3
Nicholas Lewin
newish member

Hi Dan

They are rare, expensive, and debateably not worth having!

They are not as well designed and engineered as a more modern car might have, so you may want to see one for real to decide whether it's worth the hunt

I found one, retensioned it (details on forum) and fitted it and am mildly disappointed with it. Nice to have. Has to come out every time you want your 240 in 'truck' mode

You might be lucky, otherwise I'd think that the upper side of £90

Good luck, Nick
Nicholas Lewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2018, 19:27   #4
dan 244
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Lewin View Post
Hi Dan

They are rare, expensive, and debateably not worth having!

They are not as well designed and engineered as a more modern car might have, so you may want to see one for real to decide whether it's worth the hunt

I found one, retensioned it (details on forum) and fitted it and am mildly disappointed with it. Nice to have. Has to come out every time you want your 240 in 'truck' mode

You might be lucky, otherwise I'd think that the upper side of £90

Good luck, Nick
Hi thanks for the comment, I wonder if they are any different to the 940 one, I have one of those in my other car, perhaps they are similar in operation, because it’s ok, but a bit clumpy! I really want it to cover bags when you go away or have been shopping and stop somewhere.

Yes I was expecting to pay around that amount, hopefully I will find one!
Old Dec 1st, 2018, 21:57   #5
Derek UK
VOC Member

I think they are well worthwhile and if they haven't been abused, work well. Try and get all of the brackets and rear hooks as part of the deal. If you carry anything in the back, even junk, it all disappears under the cover and looks tidy, as you will have found with your 940.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 14:22   #6
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Hello Dan: ~ couple of things to add to this topic & one that may interest you?
As previously mentioned these load covers seem to be the proverbial hens teeth,
However a very useful item for the reasons you note/privacy and just having a period part to compliment the car.
I eventually found one in the last couple of weeks via a forum member complete with original fittings & Volvo instruction sheet- it didn’t require a second mortgage so a further bonus.

The photos show a cover that I made some 12months back – a new stainless roller is semi enclosed within a padded box section (roller can be removed if necessary for adjustments) all the fittings are stainless steel with two intermediate brackets that can be positioned to allow the cover to be left in a part open position, seat belt bolt used so no extra drilling- brackets holding the cover up to the tailgate are included--- fitting is quite similar to the original item.
The end of the cover i.e. pull is adapted from another car retaining a full width strengthening metal bar & firm padded base. All the cover material is new together with edge trims.
Although a DIY project it looks the part and is probably stronger than the originals!
If you are interested please let me know and we can sort something out (no problem if you decide to wait as I may advertise it)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181202_170112.jpg (92.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181202_170503_BURST004.jpg (32.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181202_170040_BURST001_COVER.jpg (213.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181202_170150.jpg (106.4 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181202_170530.jpg (106.6 KB, 18 views)
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2018, 21:16   #7
dan 244
Master Member

Hi bob, sorry for long lack of reply!!! Hopefully I have found one now, just waiting for it to become available!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
Hello Dan: ~ couple of things to add to this topic & one that may interest you?
As previously mentioned these load covers seem to be the proverbial hens teeth,
However a very useful item for the reasons you note/privacy and just having a period part to compliment the car.
I eventually found one in the last couple of weeks via a forum member complete with original fittings & Volvo instruction sheet- it didn’t require a second mortgage so a further bonus.

The photos show a cover that I made some 12months back – a new stainless roller is semi enclosed within a padded box section (roller can be removed if necessary for adjustments) all the fittings are stainless steel with two intermediate brackets that can be positioned to allow the cover to be left in a part open position, seat belt bolt used so no extra drilling- brackets holding the cover up to the tailgate are included--- fitting is quite similar to the original item.
The end of the cover i.e. pull is adapted from another car retaining a full width strengthening metal bar & firm padded base. All the cover material is new together with edge trims.
Although a DIY project it looks the part and is probably stronger than the originals!
If you are interested please let me know and we can sort something out (no problem if you decide to wait as I may advertise it)
Old Jan 1st, 2019, 18:48   #8
Roverdaftrich

Hi

I have one in very good condition if the other one falls through.
It’s black and has the fittings and hooks,no self tappers though.Had them bagged up but misplaced the bag.

Richie
Roverdaftrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2019, 19:01   #9
Nicholas Lewin
newish member

Hi Richie

I'd be interested if Dan isn't - let me know... please

Happy New Year btw

Nick
Nicholas Lewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2019, 19:29   #10
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

I could do with one of these for my Torslanda too...
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote