Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil Pressure

Views : 2059

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 27th, 2017, 21:03   #1
Oilrag

Default Oil Pressure

Hi, I am hoping that perhaps one of you good Volvo forum people will be able to help me with an oil pressure problem that I have with my 2007 C30 2.0D SE Sport.
Brief History
My aunt bought this Volvo in 2011 with only 10,200 miles on the clock. She had it serviced by the local Volvo dealer regularly and I have all the records for it. She was using the car for work, but once she retired it was only used once a week to drive the 10 mile round trip to the shops.
I bought the car in May this year and it has now only done a total of 37,000 miles.
My Aunt was a very steady driver and the car was only used for short trips and rarely driven on the motorway or over 55 mph.
My problem happened when I was driving it back to France. The oil warning light kept coming on but only when the car was stationary, or in slow moving traffic.
When starting the car from cold and using no throttle the oil light goes out straight away, if you do the same procedure once the car has been driven the oil light will not go out till you use 1200 rpm, this would not be a problem but the car sounds rough and lumpy.
I have flushed the engine, changed the oil filter and used the recommended synthetic oil. This did sort it, but only for 2,000 miles. It is now back to the rough lumpy engine, not good to drive.
Has anyone had the same problem with this engine (D4204T) or can someone give me a way forward, I was thinking about changing the PCV but I think I need advice first :-)
Many thanks.
Oilrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 21:29   #2
biggbn
I've Been Banned

First port of call always oil pressure switch?
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 22:38   #3
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggbn View Post
First port of call always oil pressure switch?
The OP says the engine is rough and lumpy, so I doubt if it is a false warning.

Wild guess, but it sounds like severe fuel contamination thinning the oil due to too much short tripping.

I would try using a major brand fuel injection system cleaner and use an 0 or 5w40 rather than the recommended 0w30.

It would also be good to check the coolant and oil for signs of a HG leak, as that can also cause low oil pressure issues as any traces of anti freeze in the oil will cause oil sludge to form fairly quickly. If the oil pump screen blocks up that can also cause low oil pressure issues.

If the cank vent system was blocked it would burn oil and in a real bad case start to smoke.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Dec 27th, 2017 at 22:47.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27th, 2017, 23:07   #4
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Have to say that the symptoms you describe are classically expensive as they suggest you are only maintaining oil pressure when the oil is thigh and sludgy - which generally means one of three things, big ends, small ends or oil pump - all painful.

As suggested, try a good flush and clean then use thicker oil, hopefully that will stop the light coming on ( though it won't have solved the root cause).
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 08:26   #5
green van man
Premier Member

At what pressure does the light come on with these engines? Most I've come across is 7 psi, I would not be happy with driving an engine with only 7psi as most run at around 40 psi.

I would be looking at getting the sump off and physically checking big ends, main bearings, crank journals and oil pump. If the journals are serviceable new shell bearings can be fitted with it in situe but I suspect you will find them scored and it's then an engine out and rebuild job.

Sorry, I think it's going to be expensive, especially if you are unable to do the spannering work yourself.
An alternate would be to fit a good secondhand engine.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 08:36   #6
straightsix
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
At what pressure does the light come on with these engines? Most I've come across is 7 psi, I would not be happy with driving an engine with only 7psi as most run at around 40 psi.

I would be looking at getting the sump off and physically checking big ends, main bearings, crank journals and oil pump. If the journals are serviceable new shell bearings can be fitted with it in situe but I suspect you will find them scored and it's then an engine out and rebuild job.

Sorry, I think it's going to be expensive, especially if you are unable to do the spannering work yourself.
An alternate would be to fit a good secondhand engine.

Paul.

Before you rebuild the engine might be sensible to slave a reliable pressure gauge in and confirm exactly what the system PX is.....

If the bearings were worn to the extent oil PX was as low as around 7psi you would be hearing some definite bearing knock , You may have nothing worse than a U/S sensor

The rough running may with luck be another issue entirely , Best of luck .

Last edited by straightsix; Dec 28th, 2017 at 08:42.
straightsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 10:42   #7
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post

Wild guess, but it sounds like severe fuel contamination thinning the oil due to too much short tripping.

I would try using a major brand fuel injection system cleaner and use an 0 or 5w40 rather than the recommended 0w30.

It would also be good to check the coolant and oil for signs of a HG leak, as that can also cause low oil pressure issues as any traces of anti freeze in the oil will cause oil sludge to form fairly quickly. If the oil pump screen blocks up that can also cause low oil pressure issues.

If the cank vent system was blocked it would burn oil and in a real bad case start to smoke.
Ah, apologies for not reading post correctly
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 18:47   #8
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsix View Post
Before you rebuild the engine might be sensible to slave a reliable pressure gauge in and confirm exactly what the system PX is.....

If the bearings were worn to the extent oil PX was as low as around 7psi you would be hearing some definite bearing knock , You may have nothing worse than a U/S sensor

The rough running may with luck be another issue entirely , Best of luck .
The bearings may not be worn enough to cause the low oil pressure but if the engine has been run with low oil pressure it's possible the bearings have picked up which is why I recommended dropping the sump and checking.

You may have to move the power steering pipes in order to drop the sump but it can then be done with engine in the car.
The TDI Volvo's had a habit of the oil pump gasket failing and this was a sump off job to repair, it was also known for the centre main bearing cap to crack, which often produced a knock but only after the two parts had parted.

Any engine I suspected of having run with low oil pressure I would drop the sump on to inspect and make sure I knew what I was dealing with.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 18:50   #9
brickman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post

I'd second all of this.

Went to see a 2009 polo the other day with only 35k from new and ome owner. Full vw history, serviced as it ws meant to be (despite the low milage).
Engine was ruined, oil level was very high and mostly diesel not oil, extensive internal damage to the shell bearings and head had occurred. Car also had very old perished tyres, shot dampers (dry seals) and mouldy damaged interior.
Decided to keep my 110k mile example as it was much better.
Owner did not know what they had done wrong, but it's very common people being sold cars that are not suited to their use.
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 19:04   #10
straightsix
I've Been Banned

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
The bearings may not be worn enough to cause the low oil pressure but if the engine has been run with low oil pressure it's possible the bearings have picked up which is why I recommended dropping the sump and checking.

You may have to move the power steering pipes in order to drop the sump but it can then be done with engine in the car.
The TDI Volvo's had a habit of the oil pump gasket failing and this was a sump off job to repair, it was also known for the centre main bearing cap to crack, which often produced a knock but only after the two parts had parted.

Any engine I suspected of having run with low oil pressure I would drop the sump on to inspect and make sure I knew what I was dealing with.

Paul.
Which is why i suggested fitting a PX gauge to determine if low oil pressure is the problem , if its a healthy 60 PSii not much point the OP paying someone sixty quid a hour to strip the motor down

Slightly different matter if you can do it yourself and enjoy lying under a car covered in oil skinning your knuckles in sub zero temperatures ....
straightsix is offline   Reply With Quote