Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Alternator Issues

Views : 286

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 14th, 2019, 14:36   #1
Taiter

Default Alternator Issues

I have a 2010 S40 2.0D RDesign. The alternator packed in some time ago and was replaced with an aftermarket unit. Since then I've had no end of issues! The issues I am experiencing are that the radio cuts out when driving, more over when entering junctions, but not specifically on here; the headlights flicker when driving and when turning the steering wheel when stationary; reversing lights flicker when reversing.

I've had the alternator checked where I was told that the unit failed the ripple test.

The alternator was replaced on the grounds that the unit was faulty.

I'm now on my 3rd replacement - all with the same issues.

I'm now contemplating changing to a genuine Volvo unit.

The car had a software update in July 2017.

Any help would be welcome!

Thanks.
Taiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 15:28   #2
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
Worth checking if you have the correct alternator. I think the 2.0d uses the 150 amp one.
Also the car has a certain amount of control over the alternator as well as the regulator. This can be tested with Vida,Dice.
Is your battery OK? A defective battery could affect an alternator as well.
All connections and earth leads OK?

Iain
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 15:54   #3
Taiter

Hi,

Thanks for the response IanG. There was a query over the correct alternator being fitted, but the latest fitted, I was assured was the correct one. I'd hoped therefore that it would be resolved, but it wasn't.

I've asked the garage to check the battery - they didn't think it would be the problem, but...

I also spoke to the Volvo garage who suggested that some aftermarket alternators have had issues. Also suggested testing the alternator regulator switch? Easy to do?

Vida,Dice = ? Sorry - I'm no mechanic!
Taiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2019, 17:08   #4
IainG
Premier Member

Hi
VIda(software)Dice(hardware) is the volvo diagnostics system and covers a lot more than a generic code reader. Also has fault finding routines and tests.
On mine with Vida Dice, the alternator output is tested against specific test temperatures. ( this is the input the car gives to the alternator to control the voltage in conjunction the regulator in the alternator.)

Hence the correct alternator is required (that accepts this input, relative to temperature.)
I have changed the alternator on mine twice.
The original Volvo one was I believe a Denso unit. I just replaced with a Denso unit.
Volvo don't make alternators, they just put their name and markup on a "Denso" or other manufacturers unit.
They do run very hot and have to kick out 150 amps for quite a lot of their life especially on short winter journeys, and can be prone to fail.
The power steering pump is electric so can have a high draw on top of all the other things. Being a diesel the starter takes more the starter on a petrol car + lights +etc+ etc. Soon adds up.
Iain

Last edited by IainG; Jan 14th, 2019 at 17:17.
IainG is offline   Reply With Quote