Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stripped wheel bolts

Views : 389

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 17th, 2019, 14:42   #1
V40addict

Default Stripped wheel bolts

I purchased a V40 for my parents as an extra car, it's not being used now so I wanted to swap the wheels which have brand new tyres on them and look better. Previous owners were two ladies. They obviously changed the wheels as there is damage to the spot underside the car where the jack goes and they ruined two bolts on one of the wheel, using the wrong tool. I attempted to remove it with a wrench one size bigger which still fit but I made it worse, the bolt is pretty much round now !

The Volvo dealership tells me the bolts probably are the kind with some alloy cap which is easy to break to then have access to a core bolt which can be removed (20 minute job). Worst case scenario they say they will weld a new head on that inside bolt in order to remove it. Is this correct ? The cost of that worst case scenario would be close to 10% of the price paid for the car and if it's too big of a job I might as well leave the wheels on, lifetime of the tyres being lifetime of the car in all likelihood.

Last edited by V40addict; Jan 17th, 2019 at 14:51.
V40addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 20:24   #2
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Ford alloy wheel nuts are the correct thread etc, I bought a set off eBay for the mistubishi alloys I have, mainly because the supplied 21mm wheelbrace doesn't fit down the holes in the wheels, ford are 19mm, in terms of removing what's rounded off I have had success with hammering a sacrificial socket that's one size downcin the past, in this case you'll want a 20mm socket.

Last edited by clarkey1984; Jan 17th, 2019 at 20:27.
clarkey1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2019, 20:48   #3
sv70

The volvo dealership are probably right in saying as a last resort another bolt would have to be welded onto the ruined one,that's what i had to do when i lost my locking bolt socket,but the cost by them would be steep,alternatively you would be better off taking it to a local one man band or small garage and they would do it for a fraction of dealers,and they have probably done that job loads of times successfully.
sv70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sv70 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2019, 07:31   #4
ilikewatch
Master Member

For £15 you can buy a set of proper tools to remove rounded wheel nuts: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sockets-Loc...ZIL&ref=plSrch

However, I expect any tyre shop will have a set, and remove them for a few quid - remember to take replacements with you or you won't be able to drive home.
'18 (68) silver Volvo V40 T3 R Design
ilikewatch is offline   Reply With Quote