Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 2.0 euro 4 - passenger side doors locked and won't open

Views : 11899

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 9th, 2011, 10:08   #11
Bikerjodie

Found my handbook, checked the fuses, nada....

.... getting really frustrated with it now.... can anyone suggest anything else?
Bikerjodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2011, 10:50   #12
Custard Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerjodie View Post
Hi
My passenger doors (front and back) are both locked and won't react to the central locking, I’ve tried to open the doors from the inside but they won't budge.
I feel like my 2005 V50 is cursed. It has been back to the dealers twice for the same problem. Intermittently lose all functionality of locks/windows/mirrors on the passenger side. This is particularly embarrassing when you have to make the wife climb over the driver’s seat!

Unfortunately I can't tell you what was done to "cure" the problem. The first instance last November resulted in my car being kept for 2 weeks with a "Software Upgrade" being implemented on the control box.

Before Christmas the problem came back... then the alternator died so the car was dragged to the dealer on new year’s eve where the alternator was replaced and the car kept for 3 weeks, but the door problem did not reoccur. (i even have a letter from the dealer stating that they will fix any reoccurrence of the passenger locks/window/mirror issue once my 1 year used car warranty expires.)

Got the car back end of Jan and there has been no further door issues since. However last a grinding noise from the driver-side front wheel caused another detour back to the dealer where my car currently resides.
Custard Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2011, 10:53   #13
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

Quote:
I took all the fuses out yesterday and had a look at them, they seemed fine but i'll double check them again today...
I'm just at Maryhill Road, just down from the Jag and Volvo garage (luckily enough)
I don't suppose you know which fuses to switch over as i can't find my hand book?
I'm literally just down the road from you - behind the Tescos on Maryhill road!

Did you put a fresh fuse in where the door fuse was?

Try Maryhill MOT they are good, as are Volvomax on the southside.

Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9th, 2011, 11:09   #14
Bikerjodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
I'm literally just down the road from you - behind the Tescos on Maryhill road!

Did you put a fresh fuse in where the door fuse was?

Try Maryhill MOT they are good, as are Volvomax on the southside.
I swapped the fuses about as you've suggested, but the same thing was happening on the passenger side...
... i've contacted a mobile mechanic to come out about another matter, a noisy fuel filter (or something near it), he said he'll have a look at the doors too.

How would i open the door when they're jammed shut?
Old Feb 9th, 2011, 11:10   #15
Bikerjodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custard Avenger View Post
I feel like my 2005 V50 is cursed. It has been back to the dealers twice for the same problem. Intermittently lose all functionality of locks/windows/mirrors on the passenger side. This is particularly embarrassing when you have to make the wife climb over the driver’s seat!

Unfortunately I can't tell you what was done to "cure" the problem. The first instance last November resulted in my car being kept for 2 weeks with a "Software Upgrade" being implemented on the control box.

Before Christmas the problem came back... then the alternator died so the car was dragged to the dealer on new year’s eve where the alternator was replaced and the car kept for 3 weeks, but the door problem did not reoccur. (i even have a letter from the dealer stating that they will fix any reoccurrence of the passenger locks/window/mirror issue once my 1 year used car warranty expires.)

Got the car back end of Jan and there has been no further door issues since. However last a grinding noise from the driver-side front wheel caused another detour back to the dealer where my car currently resides.
Have they given you a courtesy car in the meantime?

The above would put you off getting another volvo....
Old Feb 9th, 2011, 12:27   #16
Custard Avenger

Quote:
Have they given you a courtesy car in the meantime?

The above would put you off getting another volvo....
I agree!! I can't really fault the dealer they have always been good (apart from selling me a Friday afternoon car), I turned up last night 15 minutes before they closed but they took my car and managed to give me a courtesy car (an old S60). The 60 plate S40 R-Design D4 (177 brake) they gave me was a fantastic courtesy car!!!

But as much as i like Volvo cars (this V50 is my first, but wanted one for ages) I really can't see myself getting another. Unless the gods are kind to me and a new V60 is bequeathed by an unknown wealthy benefactor!!

For comparison I ran my Honda Civic Type-R for 5 years and over 100k miles with only a blow-out (no real drama) and a creaky steering column (Apparently a common issue) to highlight.

I will keep you posted with any further issues is have with the passenger side electronics. Likewise, let me know if you ever get to the root cause!!

Cheers, Paul.
Old Feb 9th, 2011, 13:05   #17
RSVolvo

I used to have a 55 plate S40 2.0D. Whilst I had it there was a recall notice affecting the wiring connections from the body of the car to the doors and they were replaced. Shortly after they were replaced I lost all electrics down the passenger side. As it was linked to the recall I took it straight back to the dealer who fixed it. But they had to remove the inside door panel to be able to open the door before they could fix it. So if you've checked all the more obvious possibilities fuses etc, it could be this known defect.
RSVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RSVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 19:34   #18
janty

Smile opening locked doors

I had the same problem, go to the door where it meets the wing, half way up the door where the wiring loom joins together come in 3" and thump the door hard with your hand then try keys keep doing this, i promise it works. Once opened go into menu and take car off autolock, disconnect wiring loom and spray with grease. Hope you get this before you damage yor car and are left with bill goodluck chum
janty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to janty For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 18th, 2011, 14:09   #19
Bikerjodie

The mechanic who has the car said that the deadbolts have armed and that there's no way to open the doors other than to bust the locks!!

This has been a pain in the derriere!!!!
Old Feb 21st, 2011, 15:47   #20
Custard Avenger

Quote:
This has been a pain in the derriere!!!!
Oh yes!! My V50 decided that on Saturday afternoon the passenger doors were to be locked until sufficient inconvenience had been caused! The issue vanished this morning on the way to work. This is now the 3rd time the car will be going back to the dealers I bought it from for investigation.