Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 2.0 euro 4 - passenger side doors locked and won't open

Views : 11900

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 12th, 2011, 20:05   #21
lamppost

i had this problem with my 55 plate s40, volvo said it is a commen problem with the metal connectors in the wiring loom(a build up of resistance) for the power down each side of the car they cut a section of the loom out of each side and replaced it with gold connectors which wont hold the build up, its been fine ever since
lamppost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2011, 20:31   #22
Clan
Experienced Member

Yes the above is the answer i am amazed that a volvo dealer doesnt know this they have service bulletins and also your individual car will have this listed against it as a possible problem on the computer in the dealer ., It happens mainly on 2006 model year , 2007 have gold plated contacts as standard , ford focus doesnt have this problem it doesnt have the connector block . neither did the S40/V50 until 2005 , someone decided it ought to have one for some reason . Persevere keep trying to unlock the doors and one day soon it will suddently pop unlocked . as suggested above hitting the front door half way down the front edge and also heating up the door may help as in a long journey with the heat on ..
Old Mar 14th, 2011, 08:55   #23
Custard Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Yes the above is the answer i am amazed that a volvo dealer doesnt know this they have service bulletins and also your individual car will have this listed against it as a possible problem on the computer in the dealer
The dealer I bought my V50 from has now fixed* this issue on my V50 at the third attempt by replacing the wiring harness.

*It had been 'fixed' before so I won't hold my breath.
Custard Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 20:31   #24
Manolo

My 2006 s40, has decide to lock the passenger side, and will not open from the inside.

For those that have had it fixed by having the connectors replaced, can I ask approximately how much this would cost? I am in Coventry.

Thanks
Manolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 20:39   #25
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolo View Post
My 2006 s40, has decide to lock the passenger side, and will not open from the inside.

For those that have had it fixed by having the connectors replaced, can I ask approximately how much this would cost? I am in Coventry.

Thanks
These usualy failed within the warranty period and also when just out , then volvo contributed , but it is too late now i guess . I cant believe it is the first time it has played up ... Did you recently buy the car? If it was reported to the dealer when it first happened some years ago it would have been fixed free . ( assuming you havent had the car long ! )
The job takes 3 hours ,both dorrs have to come off , not cheap ...
If you are patient one day you will find it unlocks , as humidity /temperature changes , that is the time to make sure it doent lock again until fixed .
Old Sep 13th, 2014, 07:36   #26
glegalee

Good morning all, or is it?

This morning at 06:30 I went out to my 55 plate S40, unlocked it with the key fob only to find that both of the doors on the drivers side (Right, UK) would not unlock regardless of how many times I locked and unlocked, it resulting in me having to climb over the center console from the passenger side in order to get to work. Much to my annoyance I also found that the controls mounted on the door did not work, but there was a repetitive clicking from inside the drivers door once every 2 seconds or so, I have heard this before if I don't shut the drivers door hard enough, but a quick re open and close usually cures this. Anyway after getting to work I jumped on here to search for help and lo, I found this thread.

After reading through the posts I came across the 3" thump trick and thought hey I'll give that a go since it's free before I call the AA and get them to have a go at fixing it while I'm working my shift.

I am pleased to say that the 3" thump trick worked a treat and I was able to access my car through the drivers side again.

Maybe it would be a good idea for me to take the car to Volvo and have them replace the connectors on both sides to the gold version to prevent this from happening again in the future.

But I would like to thank janty today for his quick fix idea.

Cheers G.

Last edited by glegalee; Sep 13th, 2014 at 07:38.
glegalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13th, 2014, 09:35   #27
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glegalee View Post
Good morning all, or is it?

This morning at 06:30 I went out to my 55 plate S40, unlocked it with the key fob only to find that both of the doors on the drivers side (Right, UK) would not unlock regardless of how many times I locked and unlocked, it resulting in me having to climb over the center console from the passenger side in order to get to work. Much to my annoyance I also found that the controls mounted on the door did not work, but there was a repetitive clicking from inside the drivers door once every 2 seconds or so, I have heard this before if I don't shut the drivers door hard enough, but a quick re open and close usually cures this. Anyway after getting to work I jumped on here to search for help and lo, I found this thread.

After reading through the posts I came across the 3" thump trick and thought hey I'll give that a go since it's free before I call the AA and get them to have a go at fixing it while I'm working my shift.

I am pleased to say that the 3" thump trick worked a treat and I was able to access my car through the drivers side again.

Maybe it would be a good idea for me to take the car to Volvo and have them replace the connectors on both sides to the gold version to prevent this from happening again in the future.

But I would like to thank janty today for his quick fix idea.

Cheers G.
The replacement of the door connectors was a free action.. your car may be still covered . ask the dealer ..
Old Sep 13th, 2014, 11:32   #28
glegalee

Thanks Clan, I'll check.

Edit: Just called my local Volvo dealer and they said "there's currently no outstanding actions on your vehicle" and that a connector on the A pillar was replaced at some point in the past, and also that any sort of warranty would have run out in 2009 so it would be a paid repair and that I need to book it in for an inspection.

Cheers G.

Last edited by glegalee; Sep 13th, 2014 at 11:41.
glegalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2014, 23:03   #29
DEF2001

I have a 2004 v50 I have an issue with the passenger door not unlocking with the central locking it works fine with the internal door handle and can be looked using the manual nob. When I use the central locking about a second later I can hear what I assume is a relay clicking in the door. The deadlocks I think sound like they are working fine. I don't think its the wiring loom problem as I had it off and it looked really clean. Has any one any ideas before I start taking the door apart.
Many thanks
DEF2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30th, 2014, 17:41   #30
DEF2001

The 3 inch door bang worked for me. I tried it last night with no success but just tired after returning from work before locking the car and what do you know it worked. How an earth did some one work this out and what are the mechanics about it.
DEF2001 is offline   Reply With Quote