Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1998 v90 ambulance rear brakes

Views : 987

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 1st, 2022, 15:13   #1
volvohp

Default 1998 v90 ambulance rear brakes

Hi, I have an ex NHS ambulance that I purchased last year. Currently converting it into a Harry Potter Themed camper.

In March this year, it failed the MOT due to the parking brake efficiency. I have been trying to source some rear brake discs and shoes but it is proving impossible!

I have tried Volvo UK, Nilssons and a local motor factors. The part number on the current discs were superseded to a disc which does not fit.

Would anyone have any idea on where I could source some from please? I found the specs via scandix I believe they are the same for the hearse models.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg y282jnt brake disc specs volvo v90 ambulance.jpg (115.4 KB, 14 views)
volvohp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvohp For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2022, 19:14   #2
nemesisthewarlock
3.o

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvohp View Post
Hi, I have an ex NHS ambulance that I purchased last year. Currently converting it into a Harry Potter Themed camper.

In March this year, it failed the MOT due to the parking brake efficiency. I have been trying to source some rear brake discs and shoes but it is proving impossible!

I have tried Volvo UK, Nilssons and a local motor factors. The part number on the current discs were superseded to a disc which does not fit.

Would anyone have any idea on where I could source some from please? I found the specs via scandix I believe they are the same for the hearse models.
Try Barry at the Lakes Wyboston on the A1
nemesisthewarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nemesisthewarlock For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2022, 19:17   #3
griston64
Premier Member

Have you tried FRF Swansea ?
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2022, 20:32   #4
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Have you measured your discs to make sure they are the same as the measurements you have found? It could be duff information and you're looking for discs that don't fit your car.

That would be my first step to ascertain exactly what discs you need
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2022, 20:44   #5
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Have a look at these, see if any are right once you've confirmed the exact sizes of yours :

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...hub,rotor,1896

Pretty sure if you have a live rear axle (not IRS) then you'll find the standard rear discs for the 7/9xx models will be right. That said, who knows what they were upgraded to by whoever converted it into an ambulance!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2022, 23:44   #6
volvohp

Yes, they are the same spec as scandix. I thought I almost found a set today from an 850 but it was 4mm to short in height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Have you measured your discs to make sure they are the same as the measurements you have found? It could be duff information and you're looking for discs that don't fit your car.

That would be my first step to ascertain exactly what discs you need
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volvohp For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2022, 23:44   #7
volvohp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesisthewarlock View Post
Try Barry at the Lakes Wyboston on the A1

Thanks, will try them tomorrow!
Old Apr 1st, 2022, 23:47   #8
volvohp

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Have you tried FRF Swansea ?
Are they a main dealer? If so I have been talking to volvo norwich who in turn has been talking to volvo uk head office. They provided some possibilities but none were compatible.
Old Apr 1st, 2022, 23:54   #9
volvohp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Have a look at these, see if any are right once you've confirmed the exact sizes of yours :

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...hub,rotor,1896

Pretty sure if you have a live rear axle (not IRS) then you'll find the standard rear discs for the 7/9xx models will be right. That said, who knows what they were upgraded to by whoever converted it into an ambulance!

Thanks will have a look later.

All I know is that it is a multilink girling set up. They use the standard pads as a 960, its just the discs and shoes that are larger. I may have found some shoes from an 850, going to try them on Monday, its just the discs are proving difficult.

I thought I found some discs today from an 850 but they were 4 mm too low so wouldn't fit flush to the rear so the caliper wouldn't line up. Its the closet one we have found so far.

They are supposed to be the same as what the hearses use but everytime I check a reg number, it only shows the smaller discs, 265, 277 and 280 but my ones are 283mm.
Old Apr 2nd, 2022, 01:12   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvohp View Post
Thanks will have a look later.

All I know is that it is a multilink girling set up. They use the standard pads as a 960, its just the discs and shoes that are larger. I may have found some shoes from an 850, going to try them on Monday, its just the discs are proving difficult.

I thought I found some discs today from an 850 but they were 4 mm too low so wouldn't fit flush to the rear so the caliper wouldn't line up. Its the closet one we have found so far.

They are supposed to be the same as what the hearses use but everytime I check a reg number, it only shows the smaller discs, 265, 277 and 280 but my ones are 283mm.
Very often the 283mm discs are listed 280mm "nominal size" because the pads don't go to the very edge of the disc - might be worth investigating a bit more.

Also Lakes, good though they are, are a breakers yard so you're unlikely to find new discs there. That said, they do sell some new parts.

You really need to be sure of all measurements before pulling the trigger on any discs as they are heavy and expensive to send back if they're wrong.

Have you looked closely to see if there is an original part number on your present discs? Also it's unlikely that 850 discs would be right, the 850 is FWD and as far as i'm aware, the V90 (or at least the early ones) were essentially facelifted 960s and RWD.

I'll try to check the measurements on my old discs tomorrow (weather permitting) as if memory serves, they were called 280mm but are in fact 283mm.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:

Tags
ambulance, rear brakes, v90