Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 T8 default drive mode

Views : 2547

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 25th, 2019, 09:15   #11
MaDProFF
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNiceBut View Post
I'm following this with some interest, as when to use the Hold function is something I need to learn.

As an example, I did the same trip on consecutive days in similar traffic conditions.

Day 1 - Hybrid mode only.

Figures are miles - fuel - mpg - Elec Consumption - Elec recharge.

Journey out, 26.9m - 0.1g - 140.6mpg - 8.4kWh - 0.8 kWh
Journey back, 27.4m - 0.8g - 33.2mpg - 1.7kWh - 2.1kWh

Day 2 - Hybrid mode, batt hold on motorway section

Journey out - 26.7m - 0.4g - 65.8mpg - 6.3kWh - 2.1kWh
Journey back - 27.4m - 0.5g - 46.3mpg - 4.5kWh - 2.0kWh

I'd have expected the average mpg to be similar for both days but running the battery down appears better than spreading it across the journey to me.
I assume when you return on journey 2 battery is fully depleted?
I would not use hold at the beginning of a journey on a fully charged battery, as it does not seem to regenerate no where near, in fact mine does not regenerate at all for at least 4/6 miles, it is really annoying as even in B mode there is no electric motor breaking, it just rolls as if in normal D, catches me out sometimes have to brake harder as rolling into roundabouts too fast.

If you have long down hill sections use Charge.
Old May 11th, 2019, 08:30   #12
Lojo

If you have a my19, if you set your destination as a waypoint and a place close home as destination (if you save the route using home as destination, every time you re-use the route, home will be a waypoint and set as visited), the car will select when to use the electric motor to make the battery last the whole route.

But the satnav won’t store stops order and you would have to re-order stops every time.

I only use HOLD when I really want to use that specific amount of energy to drive electric at a later point. For trips under 150km, I will only HOLD a few miles of electric range, enough to get me though a city or village (unless the city is larger than the full electric range 🤦🏼*♂️). Using HOLD for more than a quarter of the charge has barely bring me any joy, unless I knew to be heading to massive congestion.

If you have the gas powered heater, it will affect the gas consumption, there is an option in the menu for it.

B will not regenerate as much power when the battery is full or not warm enough.

It used to drive me nuts to have to switch to PURE electric every time but after several weeks it is an automatic movement, just like putting the seat belt on.

I don’t use the CHARGE mode so often, since I try to plug as often as possible and favor places/business that offer change possibilities, even in motorways.
But my impression is that the CHARGE mode will work very quickly to fill quarter of the battery (2.6kWh in 10-15 minutes?) but then it seems to take it easy.
Lojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2019, 08:43   #13
TimNiceBut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDProFF View Post
I assume when you return on journey 2 battery is fully depleted?
I would not use hold at the beginning of a journey on a fully charged battery, as it does not seem to regenerate no where near, in fact mine does not regenerate at all for at least 4/6 miles, it is really annoying as even in B mode there is no electric motor breaking, it just rolls as if in normal D, catches me out sometimes have to brake harder as rolling into roundabouts too fast.

If you have long down hill sections use Charge.
The journey consisted of around 7 miles of local roads before hitting the motorway, so on journey 2 I used normal Hybrid mode for that part of the journey, then Hold whilst on the motorway (14 miles or so), cancelling Hold when back on local roads for the remainder of the journey.

I can't remember the battery state for the return journey but it wasn't empty by any means.

Surely using Charge starts the ICE. I used B with the ACC set to the speed limit when on longer downhill sections.
TimNiceBut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2019, 08:48   #14
TimNiceBut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojo View Post
If you have a my19, if you set your destination as a waypoint and a place close home as destination (if you save the route using home as destination, every time you re-use the route, home will be a waypoint and set as visited), the car will select when to use the electric motor to make the battery last the whole route.

But the satnav won’t store stops order and you would have to re-order stops every time.

I only use HOLD when I really want to use that specific amount of energy to drive electric at a later point. For trips under 150km, I will only HOLD a few miles of electric range, enough to get me though a city or village (unless the city is larger than the full electric range 🤦🏼*♂️). Using HOLD for more than a quarter of the charge has barely bring me any joy, unless I knew to be heading to massive congestion.

If you have the gas powered heater, it will affect the gas consumption, there is an option in the menu for it.

B will not regenerate as much power when the battery is full or not warm enough.

It used to drive me nuts to have to switch to PURE electric every time but after several weeks it is an automatic movement, just like putting the seat belt on.

I don’t use the CHARGE mode so often, since I try to plug as often as possible and favor places/business that offer change possibilities, even in motorways.
But my impression is that the CHARGE mode will work very quickly to fill quarter of the battery (2.6kWh in 10-15 minutes?) but then it seems to take it easy.
Thanks for this. I'm still learning about the various options. I was just reading about Predictive Efficiency. Apparently it only applies to certain markets. Is the UK one of those markets?
TimNiceBut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2019, 13:01   #15
MaDProFF
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimNiceBut View Post
The journey consisted of around 7 miles of local roads before hitting the motorway, so on journey 2 I used normal Hybrid mode for that part of the journey, then Hold whilst on the motorway (14 miles or so), cancelling Hold when back on local roads for the remainder of the journey.

I can't remember the battery state for the return journey but it wasn't empty by any means.

Surely using Charge starts the ICE. I used B with the ACC set to the speed limit when on longer downhill sections.
Using charge does start the ICE, hence using it down hill you are charging the battery but using very little fuel as it is down hill, especially if you are going slower, or off the throttle.

I only ever Drive in B, I want as much regeneration as possible.
Old May 13th, 2019, 12:04   #16
tabber

One thing that hasn't been mentioned, is that braking gently also regenerates to the battery, even in D. The gauge in the cars display will move into the regeneration area (Shown by a battery with a + in it), and when it gets to the red area, that means physical braking is being used. So always brake in plenty of time before junctions / roundabouts etc. in order to get the best out of the regeneration.

The B setting means when you are coasting the car will slow down naturally, because it applies more regeneration.

I only use hold when I know near my destination is a very slow urban section, out of range of the battery, and I want some battery left.

Given that energy is always lost in any transfer, I can't see how Charge ever makes sense from a pure efficiency perspective. For example if you are going down hill, lightly pressing the brake or putting it in B, will regenerate to the battery anyway. This is energy that would otherwise be lost through heat and friction in the brake discs, so you are saving it. If you use Charge downhill, you are burning petrol that would otherwise not be needed. True you may need petrol later in the journey if the battery depletes quicker, but that will be more efficient since the petrol is driving the wheel directly, rather than going in and out of the battery in the charge scenario, and losing energy. I hope that makes sense.

There is a youtube video where someone uses a 13A diesel generator to charge a Tesla, and he measures how efficient it is. Spolier - its terrible. So much energy is wasted turning the petrol into electricity to then use it up again.