Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Plastic Bumper Tops - Renovate UV Fading

Views : 3575

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 29th, 2018, 23:25   #11
ITSv40
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffbiker View Post
Thank you, ITSv40. I have heard of Gtechnig C4. I previously applied an American plastic dye which is no longer made. Looked OK for about eighteen months but has faded and now has some smears in it. It will probably be difficult / impossible to fully remove although of course I shall degrease it with Isopropanol (alcohol). Not sure I want to rub the plastic down with wet and dry to make it smooth. So my gut feeling is the Wurth is more likely to cover over the old dye.

I might try the Gtechnig C4 on the smooth plasticised metal mouldings, eg. the roof rails and perhaps the door handles though?
Just to avoid any confusion: the plastic does not need to be rubbed down before applying the C4. I only mentioned that just in case the plastic has faded to almost white and the surface looks dead. Rubbing down with 1200 will remove all the old dead plastic and restore the surface and colour - it is similar to exfoliating. It is very, very easy to do if the condition warrants it and will transform the finished result.

The attachment shows some of my V40 trim that was treated in that manner. When I bought the car it had stood outside all its life and the bumper trim was white - the original colour is black. The photo was taken three years ago and the trim looks just the same today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20160316_001.jpg (178.4 KB, 42 views)
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 30th, 2018, 10:18   #12
riffbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
Just to avoid any confusion: the plastic does not need to be rubbed down before applying the C4. I only mentioned that just in case the plastic has faded to almost white and the surface looks dead. Rubbing down with 1200 will remove all the old dead plastic and restore the surface and colour - it is similar to exfoliating. It is very, very easy to do if the condition warrants it and will transform the finished result.

The attachment shows some of my V40 trim that was treated in that manner. When I bought the car it had stood outside all its life and the bumper trim was white - the original colour is black. The photo was taken three years ago and the trim looks just the same today.
Thank you for the expanded explanation, ITSv40. The photo certainly looks fabulous. I'll see if Isopropanol removes my old dye back to the plastic. If if does I can use Gtechniq C4, if it does not I'll use the Wurth. I assume the C4 will not be able to perform its molecular bonding 'magic' if not in direct contact with clean plastic.

I have just had a partial respray so do not want to use anything to strip the old dye that could run down (and it will) and damage the new paint and lacquer, so cellulose thinners and acetone are out!!!

Thanks again and best regards! RB
riffbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to riffbiker For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 10:06   #13
Cookeh
Premier Member

Bit late to the party, perhaps, but I actually just applied Wurth Plastic Dye Plast PT to my bumpers yesterday. I went for the anthracite colour as I didn't want my bumpers to be solid black, more of the grey factory colour.

Here's some befores of my bumpers:

The whole process took me about twenty-five mins but then I was quite anal about the cleaning so it could probably be done in fifteen or so. I used approximately one third to half of the tube for this, and the tube retails at around £21. Cleaning wise, just a scrub with some APC and then the supplied sponge is all it needs.

As for the after pics:

I have to say I am very impressed initially. Coverage is much more even than the regular detailing choices which failed to mask the zebra-esque striping and uneven fading. The Würth has managed to bring it all back to an even, factory looking colour which is exactly what I was looking for. It also doesn't have that horribly glossy wet look most detailing products impart. I can't, however, comment on durability or protection levels (i.e. beading of water etc) as its only been on for 9 hours at this point and the only weather we've had has been frost.

Pookie, do you apply any sealant or protectant over the dye or leave as is?
Old Oct 31st, 2018, 20:00   #14
pookie
Premier Member

If you want water to bead, wait 14 days and wax the dye.

Salut!

Pookie
Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 10:23   #15
riffbiker

Hi Cookeh, Thank you for the images!

That is exactly the effect I am after. Incidentally, the body trim panels above the corners of the bumpers remove easily, they just carefully pull straight out. The rear ones are under the tail light clusters and pull to the rear of the car; the front are under the headlamps and one has to remove the headlamp wipers first, then they pull straight out to the front. This enables one to clean / dye the bumpers under them.

I tried Isopropanol (alcohol) to degrease and remove my eighteen month old application of 'Showroom New' Grey plastic dye which I imported from the USA and is no longer made. The Isopropanol degreases perfectly, of course, and if a little gets on the paint lacquer it will not damage it if wiped dry carefully and quickly (I don't know about long-term exposure). However, it does not remove the previous dye which has bonded into the plastic, although it does lift off the surface layer of dye. That should provide a good foundation for the Wurth Plastic Dye Plast PT which I anticipate will bond to and cover it.

I ordered the Wurth Grey the other day from eBay!

Thank you all once again for your invaluable help.
riffbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2018, 10:48   #16
4x4
I roll

I've been using Gtechniq C4 on my wife's car for a number of years now, it lasts around 2 years before requiring further attention so I renovated the scuttle cover of the XC90 a few weeks ago with C4.

Before faded image.

Gtechniq C4 applied
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sc1.jpg (169.5 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg sc2.jpg (190.9 KB, 145 views)
Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 4x4 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 20th, 2019, 13:44   #17
Harvey1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffbiker View Post
Thank you all very much indeed!

Think I will try the Wurth Anthracite for the Bumpers and Side Trims, and perhaps the Gtechnig C4 for the roof rails etc.

Kind regards, RB
Planning to do the same. how did the Wurth stuff work out?
Harvey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2019, 15:02   #18
Ukwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1963 View Post
Planning to do the same. how did the Wurth stuff work out?
Have any of you tried a heat gun or hairdryer on the plastic?

When my plastic suffered with UV I just heated the plastic and it returned back to black, be careful not to burn the plastic, but it’s been fine every since...
Ukwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2019, 16:59   #19
Harvey1963

problem is previous owner has painted mine.
Harvey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2019, 18:40   #20
Ukwide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1963 View Post
problem is previous owner has painted mine.
That’s a shame, a heat gun or hairdryer would have returned it back to as new..
Ukwide is offline   Reply With Quote