Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Leaking Transmission Fluid

Views : 852

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2019, 13:07   #1
Dave18050
DAVE18050

Default Leaking Transmission Fluid

Last year I changed the engine in my 2004 D5 V70. The engine and car run like a dream with no coolant or engine oil leaks and very smooth through the gears. However, I have recently noticed what looks, smells and feels like transmission fluid under the Radiator. There are no leaks under the engine or near the transmission.

I have removed the plastic under covers and dried everything off but can't see any obvious issues. The hoses going into the rad look good with no evidance of them leaking or from the green tab seals, which I replaced when I changed the engine. I also ran the car to hot then left it to cool with paper towels underneath but nothing to try to see exactly what was leaking. Unfortuantly I dont seem to be able to make it leak.

I did notice that when I dipped the transmission it was overfilled (by about the same ammount between hot and cold on the dipstick, my fault!!!) Could this be the cause of the leak? does it have a vent or somthing it could be leaking from? Or coulkd I have damaged the part of the rad which cool the transmission fluid?

2004 XC90 D5 LHD
2004 V70 D5
2003 C70 2.0 T
Dave18050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2019, 17:50   #2
Dave18050
DAVE18050

Default Oil leak not transmission fluid

Ok, I see why I have had so many views but no reply’s. Because I am talking nonsense.

I have done some more investigating and it looks like the leak is oil and it looks like it is seeping through the intercooler (at least that is what I think the middle section of the radiator is). I had the pipes off and there is a little bit of oil but nothing to shout about. I have also noticed a little oil in the coolant reservoir. Engine oil not milky.

Could it be a turbo issue?
Faulty intercooler, probably as it is leaking?
Engine crack or leaking gasket etc...?
Car runs fine with no smoke. I am a little stumped.

Sorry for wasting everyone’s time.

2004 XC90 D5 LHD
2004 V70 D5
2003 C70 2.0 T
Old Mar 22nd, 2019, 21:07   #3
Simmy
Premier Member

transmission cooler/rad ?
Simmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25th, 2019, 10:08   #4
Dave18050
DAVE18050

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmy View Post
transmission cooler/rad ?
The oil is in the intercooler, infront of the Rad. I don't think it should have any oil in it, just air from the turbo. I had the air hoses off and there was a little build up. Could be the start of a turbo problem or somthing I did wrong when I put the turbo back in following the engine swap. However, the car is running great and has loads of power.

Ok so my plan: I can get a new intercooler for less than 150€ so going to swap it out and see what happens.

2004 XC90 D5 LHD
2004 V70 D5
2003 C70 2.0 T

Tags
transmission fluid