Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wiper blades

Views : 1263

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2018, 22:56   #1
Dave2909

Default Wiper blades

What wiper blades do people favour. I have 6 month old Trico Aero blades and in the recent freezing weather they have been, at times, useless. They have a groove along the top, presumably to make them aerodynamic. The problem is that this groove fills with liquid or slush which then freezes and sets the blade into a rigid curve so when sweeping the middle of the blade doesn't touch the screen. I have to stop on a regular basis to de ice the blades, not ideal. Now, I have an XC70, which I understand is one of if not the most popular model of car driven in its home country. The Swedes deal with sub zero temperatures on a regular basis and I'll bet they don't have to pull over every so many miles to fiddle with their wiper blades. Anyone else suffer the same problem? Anyone suggest a better blade?
Dave2909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 03:55   #2
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi Dave, I have a couple of Swedish clients and shall email them to find out what they fit to their cars. jack.
jack taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jack taylor For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 09:58   #3
richardbell556

try turning climate control to off or on hot on screen demist with heater fan on a slow blow.. will keep glass warm and car .. and spray the blades with a deice can . see if it helps.. ?
richardbell556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 11:19   #4
Dave2909

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbell556 View Post
try turning climate control to off or on hot on screen demist with heater fan on a slow blow.. will keep glass warm and car .. and spray the blades with a deice can . see if it helps.. ?
I guess that's worth a try. I might try spraying them with silicone as well. Can't help thinking it's the design of the blades causing the problem. I've always used Bosch blades in the past, don't really know why I bought these Trico ones. Mind you, we probably won't have these weather conditions again for a while and the blades are fine in normal conditions.
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 23:28   #5
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi Dave, I have heard back from one of my Swedish client`s. He and his Wife both have Volvos and neither fit anything other than original wiper blades. By law they must fit studied winter tyres from November until March but that's all.
Perhaps fit original blades.
The Following User Says Thank You to jack taylor For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 09:27   #6
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Never been to Sweden but have always used Bosch twin aeros - superb !

Jack you are indeed a dark horse. Do you mind asking what us / was your line of business ? Hope the Costa treating you good 😊
Bigfella666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2018, 19:42   #7
jack taylor
Master Member

Hi Bigfella, I don't mind you asking at all. Before retirement I was in law but since moving to the Costa del Sol my Wife and I run a small property management business. Nothing too strenuous and never gets in the way of having coffee but something to do.
Old Mar 24th, 2018, 10:11   #8
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Sounds bloody marvellous to me - enjoy 😊
Bigfella666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2018, 12:02   #9
Dave2909

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack taylor View Post
Hi Dave, I have heard back from one of my Swedish client`s. He and his Wife both have Volvos and neither fit anything other than original wiper blades. By law they must fit studied winter tyres from November until March but that's all.
Perhaps fit original blades.
Thanks for taking the time to investigate on my behalf. Now we no longer have freezing conditions my current blades are fine but I will check with my Volvo man, John the Volvo at Volcare in Plymouth and see what he has to say.