Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Troubleshooting performance and poor MPG, D5

Views : 543

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 28th, 2021, 19:28   #1
Talisio

Default Troubleshooting performance and poor MPG, D5

Hi folks. Have a bit of a problem and have been going round in circles for months.

My 2008 s60 d5 (not remapped) has been performing poorly on the first start of the day (stalling on occasion) and sounding like a train at startup, the colder the weather, the worse the startup gets.

My economy also tanked, I was getting about 25-30% poorer economy, same driving habits and previously my economy had been static throughout the past few years I have owned the car.

The only way I have found to fix my economy (temporarily) is this:

When on the motorway, put my foot flat on the floor for a few seconds then let go completely.
Do this a half a dozen times and pow - my economy is back up for a few hundred miles. It dropped again today, repeated this fix and it appeared to solve it again

In the last 12 months the following work has been done

Gearbox oil changed (Geartronic auto box)
Full service
DPF checked by three seperate garages - all agreed it is fine. The car does mainly long journeys.
Two injectors replaced due to excess leak off. The two replacements have not been coded correctly - I am planning on getting this fixed but would like to know people's thoughts on my issues before doing any more work.

Thanks for your time folks
Talisio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Talisio For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 28th, 2021, 19:34   #2
sam1

there are more knowledgeable people than me. but if it was me i would start here:

spray carb cleaner through the MAF
check MAF is operating within parameters
check other fuel system related components to see within spec - manifold pressure, coolant temp, fuel rail pressure etc. look at what could **** it up.
fuel filter replacement
strong mix of injector cleaner over a tank of motorway driving.

other considerations - wheel alignment, tyre pressures, good quality tyres.

i used to average about 36 mpg from my 2007 v70 auto 163hp with mixed driving.

re cold start - glow plugs and or glow plug controller need checking - in my experience glow plugs do fail, which makes cold starts sound bad and run rough for first minute or so

Current - '22 XC40 Recharge.
Past - '86 240, '94 940, '07 V70, '91 940, '12 XC70, '06 S80 V8
sam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sam1 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 28th, 2021, 21:33   #3
37 RUBY
Master Member

Hello Talisio

How have the garages confirmed the DPF to be good? Via diagnostics?

You don't mention whether or not the car fault codes have been read.

If it has and there are none, the MAF is one such item that doesn't tend to log fault codes.
You could unplug the MAF and force the computer to use a predetermined set of values. If you get an improvement it could indicate the MAF or associated wiring as an issue.

If it hasn't been read for codes it should be the next port of call.
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2021, 21:57   #4
5cilinder
Premier Member

Dpfś are accumulating ash wich cant be burned that gives extra backpressure
And that geartronic gearbox is parasitic drag , also tire lining and pressure is important
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2021, 22:55   #5
Talisio

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37 RUBY View Post
Hello Talisio

How have the garages confirmed the DPF to be good? Via diagnostics?

You don't mention whether or not the car fault codes have been read.

If it has and there are none, the MAF is one such item that doesn't tend to log fault codes.
You could unplug the MAF and force the computer to use a predetermined set of values. If you get an improvement it could indicate the MAF or associated wiring as an issue.

If it hasn't been read for codes it should be the next port of call.
Thank you for all the replies I will write back properly tomorrow when I finish work.
I unplugged the MAF sensor previously and the car stalled on startup. Even when I tried to rev it died and refused to rev.
Dies that just complicate things or help?
Talisio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2021, 23:24   #6
sam1

just re reading this... how are you measuring your 'economy' you mention range to empty, but this is a guesstimate by the ecu. i have found the average mpg computer to read +/- 3 mpg either way.

are you measuring your MPG over a full tank, and calculating it manually at the pump based on resetting your odometer before filling the previous tank? ie, zero odometer, fill tank to brim, drive until tank empty, refill tank, note amount of fuel and look at odo then put details into this https://www.torquecars.com/tools/uk-mpg-calculator.php

to see what ACTUAL mpg you are getting...

Current - '22 XC40 Recharge.
Past - '86 240, '94 940, '07 V70, '91 940, '12 XC70, '06 S80 V8
sam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 07:57   #7
37 RUBY
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talisio View Post
Thank you for all the replies I will write back properly tomorrow when I finish work.
I unplugged the MAF sensor previously and the car stalled on startup. Even when I tried to rev it died and refused to rev.
Dies that just complicate things or help?
Whilst that is still not definitive in identifying your problem it does mean you definitely need to read your codes.

When you unplug a MAF a set of base parameter fuel settings are used but still rely on other sensors to compensate by providing data that allows those parameters to be utilised.

So in this case it could suggest that one of more sensors and/or wiring have faults.

Have you got an error message on the dash?

Is the throttle body clear of soot build up and allows full movement of the butterfly?

Does the egr valve in the throttle body look clear and feel free to move?

What was the % of soot in your DPF when confirmed good by the garage?

When are you going to get the injectors coded? Surely no more diagnostics can be performed until these are correctly coded.

Are the swirl flaps connected and working?

When was the fuel filter last changed? If recently, are you happy no air is entering?

For the cold start, have the glowplugs and supply voltage been tested?

So many variables when fault finding on these wonderful but complex vehicles that I'm going to have to revert to and repeat my own base set of parameters....get the codes read, preferably with VIDA but by someone who can decipher them.
Old Feb 4th, 2021, 12:21   #8
37 RUBY
Master Member

Any joy with you trouble Talisio ?