Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5 Aux/Cam Belt fix

Views : 3319

Replies : 41

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 13th, 2020, 23:55   #21
Auto Addict

Few weeks ago I changed my Aux tensioner & belt which were both previously done in 2015. They were both DAYCO items and I replaced them with none "Genuine Volvo" "DAYCO" tensioner and "Gates" AUX belt. Both new & old tensioners look identical and the 5 year old / 50K miles one had hardly any obvious wear, as did the Aux belt. I changed them anyway as they are well known trouble items and were due for renewal anyway.
The "Gates" Aux belt I used comes with 5 year warranty which is 3 years more than "Genuine Volvo" aux belt and the "DAYCO" Aux tensioner comes with a two year warranty, which is the same as "Genuine Volvo" part.
The way I see it is... as long as you stick to major OEM parts manufacturers such as GATES, INA, DAYCO, ContiTech, etc for your replacement parts you'll be just fine. Start buying cheap Chinese crap then you're just asking for trouble. Make what you will of that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2977.jpg (395.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2986.jpg (391.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2985.jpg (343.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2990.jpg (361.3 KB, 29 views)
2018 VW Golf R DSG
Auto Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14th, 2020, 00:00   #22
Auto Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
"continental" rings a bell ...
The A/C stretch belt is a ContiTech 5 PK 628 (620) ELAST "Genuine Volvo" item
2018 VW Golf R DSG
Old Jun 14th, 2020, 13:25   #23
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Addict View Post
IIRC "INA" (Made in Germany) make the so called "Genuine Volvo" cam belt tensioners.
Volvo had trouble with the aux belt tensioners from 2007 and had to raise the specification even more , then ditched it in 2010 for a hydraulic one , this was a temporary move as 18 months later the final volvo improved one was brought back .. who is to know if the manufacturer kept the old specification one for their retail sales ? Cant see the point in arguing about it , just get the volvo one for peace of mind or are we all cheapskates on here?

The volvo cambelts never show any sign of stress at 108000 miles they are kevlar reinforced , are the ones the manufacturer sells from its own factory ? the kevlar reinforced ones sound like solid plastic when you drop them them on their edge on a smooth floor .
Old Jun 14th, 2020, 13:30   #24
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Volvo had trouble with the aux belt tensioners from 2007 and had to raise the specification even more , then ditched it in 2010 for a hydraulic one , this was a temporary move as 18 months later the final volvo improved one was brought back .. who is to know if the manufacturer kept the old specification one for their retail sales ? Cant see the point in arguing about it , just get the volvo one for peace of mind or are we all cheapskates on here?

The volvo cambelts never show any sign of stress at 108000 miles they are kevlar reinforced , are the ones the manufacturer sells from its own factory ? the kevlar reinforced ones sound like solid plastic when you drop them them on their edge on a smooth floor .
It may be at the moment that it's less a case of people being "cheapskates" as you put it. There may well be quite a lot of people who, more than ever, are concerned about finances and the future of their jobs.

Advice from long-standing industry professionals would therefore be particularly valuable as to whether the "Volvo premium" which attaches to the blue boxes is or is not worth paying in a specific scenario.
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonefishblues For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2020, 14:40   #25
Auto Addict

Quote:
With greatest respect Clan (I sincerely do mean that) it's relatively easy for you to say that with many years of Volvo experience but somewhat blinded by the blue boxes and decent staff discount ... also in that tread I was referring to the Cam Belt tensioner being made by "INA", not the Aux belt tensioner. Anyway... IIRC Volvo's solution to the original 2007 Aux belt tensioner problem was to half the service life of the Aux belt & tensioner to 5 years / 50K miles... wasn't it ?

Quote:
With regards to "Genuine Volvo" cam belt kits, they are actually the best value/price, often cheaper than OEM equivalent offerings from INA, Gates, SFK, etc. so there's no good reason to go for anything other than "Genuine Volvo" kit The only cam belt killer I'm aware of is old, worn water pumps which don't get replaced at the same time as cam belt. What does the Volvo Bible recommend ?

Incidentally the previous owner of my XC60 had the full cam belt service done @ the Volvo Main dealer early (for some unknown reason to me) @ 75 679 miles and just over 6 years old.
Having recently visually checked it myself it appears to be in good health @ 149K miles (unless you can see otherwise)
Should I be leaving it alone until it's due @ 183K miles or 2024 ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2146.jpg (191.1 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3213.jpg (175.7 KB, 23 views)
2018 VW Golf R DSG
Old Jun 14th, 2020, 14:51   #26
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
With greatest respect Clan (I sincerely do mean that) it's relatively easy for you to say that with many years of Volvo experience but somewhat blinded by the blue boxes and decent staff discount ... also in that tread I was referring to the Cam Belt tensioner being made by "INA", not the Aux belt tensioner. Anyway... IIRC Volvo's solution to the original 2007 Aux belt tensioner problem was to half the service life of the Aux belt & tensioner to 5 years / 50K miles... wasn't it ?

With regards to "Genuine Volvo" cam belt kits, they are actually the best value/price, often cheaper than OEM equivalent offerings from INA, Gates, SFK, etc. so there's no good reason to go for anything other than "Genuine Volvo" kit The only cam belt killer I'm aware of is old, worn water pumps which don't get replaced at the same time as cam belt. What does the Volvo Bible recommend ?

Incidentally the previous owner of my XC60 had the full cam belt service done @ the Volvo Main dealer early (for some unknown reason to me) @ 75 679 miles and just over 6 years old.
Having recently visually checked it myself it appears to be in good health @ 149K miles (unless you can see otherwise)
Should I be leaving it alone until it's due @ 183K miles or 2024 ?
Yes that was the final stage around 2012/3 when they found the reason it was breaking was the considerable tug on the belt when the engine first fires up .

The only water pumps which fail are the non volvo ones which have been fitted for some reason ! There is no time change specified for good reason , those pumps have been around for 30 years now, they don't fail , why should they , it means instant engine destruction .. as long as they are smooth to spin by hand they will be fine and it is normal to have just noticeable play in the spindle even when new .

Cam belt interval is every 108000 miles or 10 years from the last change .. which ever comes first ..
Old Jun 14th, 2020, 15:11   #27
Auto Addict

Quote:
Yes that was the final stage around 2012/3 when they found the reason it was breaking was the considerable tug on the belt when the engine first fires up .

The only water pumps which fail are the non volvo ones which have been fitted for some reason ! There is no time change specified for good reason , those pumps have been around for 30 years now, they don't fail , why should they , it means instant engine destruction .. as long as they are smooth to spin by hand they will be fine and it is normal to have just noticeable play in the spindle even when new .

Cam belt interval is every 108000 miles or 10 years from the last change .. which ever comes first ..
Thanks for the clarification and confirmation So going by the 108K miles (seem unusually specific number doesn't it ? They could have just rounded it off to 100K miles ) or 10 years which ever comes first my D5 185 PS (Euro 4) next cam belt change should be @ 183K miles or 2025 according to Volvo guidelines ?
2018 VW Golf R DSG
Old Jun 14th, 2020, 15:14   #28
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification and confirmation So going by the 108K miles (seem unusually specific number doesn't it ? They could have just rounded it off to 100K miles ) or 10 years which ever comes first my D5 185 PS (Euro 4) next cam belt change should be @ 183K miles or 2025 according to Volvo guidelines ?
well there is no service at 100,000 miles it is at 108000 miles , the 6th service :-) There is no service at 183000 miles either ( 18000 miles or every year which ever comes first )
Old Jun 14th, 2020, 15:18   #29
Auto Addict

Quote:
well there is no service at 100,000 miles it is at 108000 miles , the 6th service :-) There is no service at 183000 miles either ( 18000 miles or every year which ever comes first )
Fair enough What would you say is more critical when it comes to changing the cam belt kit on Volvos ... the mileage ? or the age of the cam belt ?
2018 VW Golf R DSG
Old Jun 14th, 2020, 15:29   #30
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Fair enough What would you say is more critical when it comes to changing the cam belt kit on Volvos ... the mileage ? or the age of the cam belt ?
which ever comes first ... you must not exceed either criteria ... but the belts are still in great condition when they are changed ( Obviously ! )

Tags
aux belt, aux belt snapped, timing belt