Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear tyre wear + noise

Views : 2092

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 13:36   #1
Jordie

Default Rear tyre wear + noise

Hello all

I had my front tyres changed to Dunlop SP Sport 9000 fitted and balenced at work. These made the front tyres alot less noiser.

The problem is now, It means I can hear a noise elsewhere. I sometimes thought there was a noise since owning the car, but put it down to road noise.

I have checked all the wheels for play and even had a MOT Tester at work check the trackrods and wheels for play. Nothing found there...

So ive checked the rears for play in the bearings, no play. Upon rotating the wheel, i noticed that the NSR made a intermitant contact noise with the pads. The OSR was more constant as expected.

So today ive changed the rear discs and pads, but still the noise persists.

Upon changing the discs and pads,I noticed the OSR tyre was extremely bald on the inner edge but the rest of the tyre looks fine with 4/5mm remaining. Luckily the top 3/4 is fine so the tyre is legal.

Negative camber? I always thought the back of my car sat lower then the front, if you look at the tyre-arch gap.

The NSR tyre is perfect, equal tyre wear across the tread.

I notice the noise when slowing down to be honest and turning left. I wondered if anyone had any ideas?

Just looking for pointers here. It sounds like rear to me or at least the nearside, but noise can be deceptive. Im concerned about the tyre wear on the OSR though and why its happened.

PS. Rear coil springs are ok, cant see nothing broken or loose anywhere either.

Any help much appricated.

P.P.S Also read about tyre noise on these models on the forum.

Rear tyres are. NSR = RoadRunner 2000?

and OSR = Wanli SL1088?

Last edited by Jordie; Aug 22nd, 2009 at 13:41.
Jordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 15:55   #2
Mutley1

Might be a good idea to get your tracking checked?
I had some bad inner edge wear on some tyres that I was running under inflated by mistake!

Just bought a new set of Falken 452's all round, trying them for a change instead of the Goodyear F1's and Toyo Proxies I've tried on my V40 so far.
Mutley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 16:26   #3
Jordie

Yeah I will change the tyre and then see if i can get a 4 wheel align done at a reasonable price.

I might get it on a ramp first and check all the bushes over.

Should the back of the car sit lower then the front? If not, any common problem which would do this? Springs are ok on the rear.

Thanks
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 19:14   #4
chorleybo

i put a pair of the Dunlop SP Sport 9000 on the front wheels, lovely tyres , quiet,plenty of grip, nut only lasted 10,000 miles
chorleybo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 19:20   #5
Jordie

Not sure what to do regarding the tyre wear.

I just spoke to a friend and he reminded me that the OSR wheel with the inner edge worn is the wheel I kept having problems with loosing air pressure. At one point, it had dropped to 8psi on a journey. It would only do this every now and then, but something i had overlooked. I kept blowing it up and put it down to a poor sealing rim.

Coupled with towing a car trailer alot of the past few months, I feel this and the lower air pressure could have accelerated the wear. I know the tyre was fine when the OSR caliper was replaced in April 09.

I have changed the tyre to a champion GT i had spare today and blown it up to the correct pressure. I will now keep an eye on this and check the wear regularly to see how its doing.

The tyre i removed had been run flat it seems, rubber bits within the tyre. It had also 2 puncture repairs at some point, so that might have been the source of the loss of air pressure.

The noise is still there, but i cannot find what it is. Seems to be when turning left, but cannot pin point it. Road noise?

Oh well, new rear brakes and a tyre changed anyway.
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 21:39   #6
Jordie

Noise turns out to be NSF.

I get a vibration and noise around 20-30mph but seems to be less aparant at higher speeds.

Checked for bearing play etc, seems ok when the wheel is jacked up. Had a mechanic at work drive the car and he thinks wheel bearing or shaft.

He told me to try wheel bearing first as it would be cheaper.

Noise is loudest at 20-30mph with a slight vibration or when turning left.

Im also thinking about getting a clutch put in as the pedal bites very high. £150 for fitting. Clutch kit (friction plate etc) is £85 and i believe I need/should fit the concentric slave? Which is around the same sort of price. So Looking at £300-350. Fingers crossed it doesnt need a flywheel.

Jordie