Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

oil leak

Views : 512

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 9th, 2013, 21:22   #1
birchyv890

Angry oil leak

Help i am gutted.
Volvo V70 D5 2004. found an oil leak, took the bottom tray off,
it seems to be coming from the joint/flange bell housing to engine block,
this tells me my bloody crank shaft seal has gone is it possible for these engines to suffer from crank case pressurization forcing oil past the seal?

any advice would be nice
birchyv890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2013, 11:06   #2
green van man
Premier Member

Do not know about crankcase pressurisation but know crank seals can ware both front and rear, also oil pump gasket can leak causing an oil leak into the timeing belt.

Haveing had much experiance of leaky engines in my time are you sure it is comeing from where you think it is. Not douting your abilities here but slipstreem in the engine bay does funny things to oil excaping under pressure and can misslead one as to where it is originating from.

I had a 460 that provided you kept the oil 1/4 inch down from the full mark did not loose a drop, fill it to full and it bypasses the rear crank seal till it reached the 1/4" down level.

What sort of milage the car got on it?

Regards Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2013, 13:08   #3
birchyv890

it has done 15000 miles,
good idea about keeping oil low must try it thanks
birchyv890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2013, 14:03   #4
green van man
Premier Member

With that sort of milage I wouldnot expect a new seal to fully cure the problem unless you refaced the crank jurnal it ran on.

Back in the days when I biult engines I used to polish any jurnal that had an oil seal running on it to a mirror finish with a polishing mop then liberaly grease it and the seal when fitting to prevent dry running on start up.

In my youff BMC, remember them? reconed oil consumption on the A60 engine was 300 miles / pint, sump capasity less than a gallon = regular oil check or blown engine in 2400miles at best, sevice interval was 5000 miles.
today we expect cars to do 20,000 miles between services. I am too old for that thinking.

Hope you get it sorted, but fear it could well be a lot of work for a full cure and even fitting a new seal is a whole heap of work, with no garentee of full cure, my local dealer recons the book labour to change a clutch is 5 hours and you have to get beyond that to get to the seal.

Regards Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote