Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 shaking and trip comp problems

Views : 552

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 9th, 2018, 18:30   #1
Rids666

Default V70 shaking and trip comp problems

Hi all. Recently purchased my first Volvo. A 08 V70 D5 sport.

Noticed a couple of issues since running it for a few weeks which I'm hoping someone could help me with

The car has started shaking mainly at motorway speeds but not from the steering wheel. Would rear wheel bearings cause this or maybe another part of the suspension? The car has done 132k miles

Also the trip computer doesn't work. After googling this problem it seems it may be a common fault with the indicator stalk? It's only a small problem but it keeps bugging me that its not working. Does anyone know a good place to get hold of a replacement stalk?

Many thanks for any help
Rids666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2018, 18:52   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rids666 View Post
Hi all. Recently purchased my first Volvo. A 08 V70 D5 sport.

Noticed a couple of issues since running it for a few weeks which I'm hoping someone could help me with

The car has started shaking mainly at motorway speeds but not from the steering wheel. Would rear wheel bearings cause this or maybe another part of the suspension? The car has done 132k miles

Also the trip computer doesn't work. After googling this problem it seems it may be a common fault with the indicator stalk? It's only a small problem but it keeps bugging me that its not working. Does anyone know a good place to get hold of a replacement stalk?

Many thanks for any help
It could be the rear wheels out of balance or tyres damaged .. Are you sure you have a trip computer ?
Old Jun 11th, 2018, 09:04   #3
Gilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
It could be the rear wheels out of balance or tyres damaged .. Are you sure you have a trip computer ?
It's certainly worth checking the tyres for flat spots on the inside edge. It is difficult to see unless the wheel is off. My old Volvo had this issue and my local tyre fitter said that it is common on Volvos.
Gilson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gilson For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 11th, 2018, 20:55   #4
Rids666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilson View Post
It's certainly worth checking the tyres for flat spots on the inside edge. It is difficult to see unless the wheel is off. My old Volvo had this issue and my local tyre fitter said that it is common on Volvos.
Thanks I'll have to have a good look at my tires. See if they give me any ideas. Doesn't help that there are 2 different tires on the rear but as they have been on it since I purchased a few months ago and the shaking is more recent I'm sure it's not that.

My car definitely has a trip computer (thought they all did??) the indicator stalk has the info dial on it and the reset button. Plus it's the SE model so should have it as standard

Cheers
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 11:03   #5
Topper

Trip Computer ( mileages ?) is normally controlled by the button, at bottom, on centre of Dashboard display, which controls clock and press for T1 and T2..... not on indicator stalk.

Topper
Topper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12th, 2018, 14:45   #6
Rids666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topper View Post
Trip Computer ( mileages ?) is normally controlled by the button, at bottom, on centre of Dashboard display, which controls clock and press for T1 and T2..... not on indicator stalk.

Topper
The trip computer which shows Average speed, fuel consumption, average fuel consumption and tank range is controlled from the indicator stalk using the thumb wheel to navigate between menus
The trip meter (t1 and t2) which you mention is on the dashboard display and this works fine
Old Jun 14th, 2018, 13:31   #7
Topper

Quite correct .... sorry, confused by original description .. good luck with tracking down stalk replacement.

Topper
Topper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Topper For This Useful Post: