Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1969 Volvo 164 clutch master and slave cylinder

Views : 2624

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 08:59   #1
Cheshire vintage

Default 1969 Volvo 164 clutch master and slave cylinder

Hello everybody...newbie here! I purchased the. Above vehicle as part of a house clearance last summer, spent the last 6 months or so getting the car restored at my local garage...however, they are struggling to locate a reconditioned / used master and slave cylinder for the clutch...anybody have any recommendations please? Thanks, Chris
Cheshire vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 19:40   #2
Triple-S
How Old?

Very glad you rescued a 164 before the dreaded banger-boys: this model is getting very rare nowadays even though resale values are not usually high (there are exceptions of course).

I have some used master-cylinders plus servo's removed from cars over the years, so no guarantees as to condition of seals. Still, I see Brookhouse list seal kits for about £15 so always worth doing. Slave cylinder may be a bit more difficult as most I stripped were auto's, but will look when next at my store next week. It may be the same as the Amazon slave, which would confirm availability - I haven't looked. Unfortunately both 164s currently being stripped are also auto's.

Any chance of a digital pic or two of your acquisition as I have pics of dozens of UK 164s in my files now - you can tell I'm an enthusiast! Direst mail paultill@tesco.net for direct contact.

Paul
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2nd, 2016, 20:41   #3
Triple-S
How Old?

Sorry - misread your want to mean brake master......doh. Will look at the same time as looking for slave cylinder.

P
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3rd, 2016, 08:12   #4
dingov70
Master Member

Morning

Try these people , they may well have exactly what you wnat or know who does

http://www.powertrackbrakes.co.uk/parts.html

Good luck

Steve
Old Jun 4th, 2016, 20:27   #5
Cheshire vintage

Thank you very much guys, will try the link first thing Monday morning. The 164 has been garaged under sheets since 1989, 60k on the clock from new, one owner!im itching to get this clutch problem sorted, so I can get it out and enjoy some Summer! Will let you know how I get on!!!
Old Jun 5th, 2016, 18:25   #6
Derek UK
VOC Member

The clutch plate is almost certainly rusted to the flywheel so there may not be too much wrong with the MC and slave.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6th, 2016, 12:05   #7
Cheshire vintage

Just spoke to Paul at power track. He was unable to help and also confirmed that parts for an early 164 are like hens teeth! He did give me another lead to try...so here's hoping!

I will also investigate the flywheel sinario! Thanks for the the advice, any other leads still welcome!
Old Jun 7th, 2016, 11:27   #8
Derek UK
VOC Member

I can't help but is the MC an ATE? Paul-Triple-S will know I guess for a '69.
Does it have a remote fluid container or one that is fitted to the top of the MC? Slave held on by 2 bolts? ( I have been looking at the parts book but it maybe for later models) Pictures of your set-up useful.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16th, 2016, 11:10   #9
Cheshire vintage

Well finally managed to get the cluch problems sorted, my mechanic found a place in Leicester that could recondition the cylinder! 12 months after original purchase, it's now on the road with full mot and service. This is my first "old car" so driving it is a bit of an experience to say the least! Loving it though! Pics to follow soon...
Old Aug 16th, 2016, 11:42   #10
Cheshire vintage

Default 1969 Volvo 164

As promised...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (106.9 KB, 8 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheshire vintage For This Useful Post: