Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Steering problem. Xc70 d5 2012

Views : 1800

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 14th, 2019, 13:14   #1
silodafunk

Default Steering problem. Xc70 d5 2012

Welcome everyone.

That's my first post so at the beginning I'd like to ask to forgive my language skills if something missing.

I own volvo xc70 2012 with a 125k miles on it. Bought it 3 months ago. When I bought it there wasn't a problem with it at all with the steering but two weeks ago I've noticed some strange steering wheel behaviour only on a cold engine.

When turning left or right on a parking gear I can hear some knocking. Just a bit but I can hear it. That stays even when warm.

When You drive on a motorway and I use this car only to get to work, 125miles every day, for the first 20,25 minutes, the steering wheel has resistance when turning, especially with very gentle movements and this resistance with full turn is repeatable. Problem disappear after 25 minutes on motorway like You would touch it by a magic wand. It comes back again when cold.

I went to a dealer, as I had two more days of a warranty. He offered he will replace the steering fluid, and they said
Day after that they did a flush.

I've checked the fluid colour before I've put my car in a dealers garage. Was stiill a lot of green in a reservoir tank. And the level was good.

After collecting my car, I didn't notice any problems. Car was warm so probably that's way. But unfortunately I forgot to check the reservoir tank and it was less than minimum later that day when I checked (cold engine) and the problem was the same with turning.

My guess is that they didn't do a proper flush or they forgot to refill at the end of process.

What else might causing this problems that I've mentioned above?

I do most of my work by myself with Yuris videos.

Thanks

Last edited by silodafunk; Nov 14th, 2019 at 13:20.
silodafunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2019, 17:18   #2
green van man
Premier Member

There was a time when the steering fluid anti corrosion inhibitors died and the fluid attacked the alloy pipes in the steering system. This was indicated by the fluid turning brown.

To prevent this happening on my car I change the fluid every 2 years and suck the resevour dry and refill with fresh fluid every other year so either compleate new fluid or at least part new fluid every year.

There are filters in the system which may be partially blocked and once warm the fluid passes them easier, again the bi annual flush should clear them.

The knock on turning is probably the drive shaft constant velocity joints showing wear. Volvo only sell full shafts and they are £350+ each. There are aftermarket CV joints for some shafts but I've not found any for the P3 cars without the reluctor ring which the P2 has.

My first action would be to flush and clean the system,myself, plenty of vidios on how to , then see what results you get. DIY you know it's done rather than being told it's done.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2019, 13:39   #3
staaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
There was a time when the steering fluid anti corrosion inhibitors died and the fluid attacked the alloy pipes in the steering system. This was indicated by the fluid turning brown.

Can you give more details about this? I have a '2009 p V70III 2.4D and i think that the situation that you describe is happening in my car. I refreshed the fluid several times, but the color of the fluid is very quick brown again.

Where are those filters? I know there is one in the reservoir that can clog up.

Last edited by staaf; Nov 16th, 2019 at 13:41.
staaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 17:43   #4
silodafunk

Hello

So, i decided to take car to a Volvo dealer for a health check (63 pounds) .

They ve said that its a steering rack problem as the valve in a steering rack is faulty and minions? as well. 1123 pounds for swap with labour .

SYstem has been flushed and the reservoir tank has been cleaned - all supervised by me.

I guess i'll take the car to Chesterfield Independant Volvo garage for a second opinion as it will cost me and arm if i do it at the dealer.

Anyway , having the car for only 3 months with a full Volvo service history its not what i expected to struggle
silodafunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 20:26   #5
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staaf View Post
Can you give more details about this? I have a '2009 p V70III 2.4D and i think that the situation that you describe is happening in my car. I refreshed the fluid several times, but the color of the fluid is very quick brown again.

Where are those filters? I know there is one in the reservoir that can clog up.
There's the resevour one and I think on the pump feed there is one but have never disconected the pipes to verify this.

Simon, cheshird5 on here has vidios on how to do this, search you tube for I think sir rob to find them. While his is a P2 car it's the same procedure for the P3 cars it's just the resevour is in a different position and is actually easier.
Basically you raise the front wheels off the ground, disconected he return pipe from the resevour, plug the hole on the resevour, I have a short length of pipe with a bolt in the end that I fix in place of the return pipe, extend the return pipe with a piece of pipe into a catch tank and while turning the wheels from side to side pour fresh fluid into the resevour untill clean fluid is running into the catch tank. At this point start the engine and stop it as this flushes the pump but it will quickey empty the resevour so it is a very quick on off. Replace pipes in proper places and top the resevour up to correct level.

Under an hour total job.

Paul.
Old Nov 20th, 2019, 21:22   #6
gjm120761

A different issue I had, but maybe worth posting for others.

I have for a while noticed a bit of a wobble on the wheel, very slight, when manoeuvering approaching full lock. Checked fluid etc to no avail.

So i went to have the tracking checked and he said it was out by quite a bit.

after resetting it, problem has gone.

G
gjm120761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 03:09   #7
staaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by green van man View Post
There's the resevour one and I think on the pump feed there is one but have never disconected the pipes to verify this.
Thanks for your answer, can you give some more information about the corrosion problem in the pressure lines? Is there a specific line that is affected?
staaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 11:57   #8
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staaf View Post
Thanks for your answer, can you give some more information about the corrosion problem in the pressure lines? Is there a specific line that is affected?
I belive all the aluminiumn pipes suffer if the anti corrosion inhibitors die. I have not had problems with my car as I flush the system and change the fluid every 2 years to prevent it. My information comes form others whom have suffered the problems.

I was told that volvo were aware of the problem but did nothing about it as the cars would generally be older than 3 years and out of warrenty when problems occurred and they were moving to electric power steering anyway. How true this is I don't know but came from someone in a position to know.

There are stories of this corrosion damaging the pump and the rack, in some cases the cure was new pipes, pump and rack, add the labour to fit and you face a substantial bill. I preffer to change the fluid every 2 years and hopefully avoid the problem.

I DIY as this is not a recognised volvo procedure or service item so preffer to know its done rather than be told it's done.

Paul.
Old Nov 24th, 2019, 16:00   #9
Model flyer
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silodafunk View Post
Hello

So anyway , having the car for only 3 months with a full Volvo service history its not what i expected to struggle
As You have had the problem looked at by the dealer within the warranty period and they said that they had flushed the system you have in fact registered the fault within the warranty period so its still their problem . Take it back to them and ask that they fix it properly . If they don't then go to citizens advice or trading standards for advice . I think they will tell you to ask the supplier to fix it and if they don't or wont will advise you to go to a small claims court .

Hope you get it sorted , nothing worse than a faulty car and a garagew ho wont sort it

Previous Volvos 740 GLE . V40 CD ,V70 2.4 SE LPT.V70 D5 P2. V70 D5 Se Lux P3. Current Jaguar XF Sportbrake but still like Volvos
Model flyer is offline   Reply With Quote