Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bluetooth xc70

Views : 1364

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 13th, 2019, 13:36   #1
Gazdkw
Master Member

Default Bluetooth xc70

Picked up the car today. I'm not sure if my car is Bluetooth enabled but it has the internal phone and all the buttons that suggest it would have Bluetooth.

Manual says to just press phone once and so on. Pressing phone does nothing.

Any ideas?
Gazdkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2019, 17:48   #2
Sotosound
Premier Member

What year is it?
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13th, 2019, 17:52   #3
Gazdkw
Master Member

It's a 2008
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 07:36   #4
Olaf Els

At the risk of stating the obvious, have you paired (or 'registered' in Volvo terms) your handset with the car's phone system? Once that's done, the handset should connect automatically.
Olaf Els is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 08:33   #5
Gazdkw
Master Member

Well that's the bit I can't seem to do. I'm either being daft or the function doesn't exist
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 09:36   #6
Olaf Els

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazdkw View Post
Well that's the bit I can't seem to do. I'm either being daft or the function doesn't exist
I've got a 2010 vehicle, so the procedure may not be the same for yours, but this is a summary of what the handbook for mine says:

1. Make the handset discoverable via Bluetooth
2. Active the handsfree function on the car by pressing the 'Phone' button
3. Select 'Add phone' from the menu
4. Select the discovered phone and use the handset keypad to enter the code that's displayed on the audio system.

or maybe easier:

From the handset, search for Bluetooth connections. It should find 'My car' which will be your Volvo. Enter the PIN 1234 to complete the pairing.

Do you have the Owners Manual for your car? There's lots of useful stuff in there. I've now owned mine for nine months and I am still discovering new features!

Once you get the handset connected, you will discover that the AUX channel needs a separate connection if you want to play content from the handset. I bought cheap Bluetooth dongle to provide an input to the AUX socket in the centre console. The dongle charges from the USB socket.
Olaf Els is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 18:55   #7
Gazdkw
Master Member

Tried both those methods and nothing. Nothing happens when I press the phone icon on the steering wheel. When I press the phone button on the centre console it just tries to enable the fixed phone in the car storage compartment.
Old Jul 14th, 2019, 23:10   #8
ferg55

The phone options were covered in this post:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=295986
This is the bit you need to know
"There were two phone options in those days, bluetooth connection for your own mobile, or a full fat in-car phone complete with a very dated curly-cord handset under the centre consul storage lid (no joke, look for yours!)

The latter has the sim card slot in the glove box, and if you wanted Volvo On Call you had to have the latter as it uses the sim to make the emergency calls (I'm not sure why VOC couldn't use bluetooth to your mobile).

The only way of using the full fat phone from your mobile seems to be by inserting a sim (with a different number as you can't duplicate sims apparently) into the slot, and diverting calls to it when you get in the car, which is a bit of a faff."

Your car dosn't have the bluetooth I'm afraid, but there is a kit available as a Volvo accessory which integrates with the buttons, but a stand-alone display I think.

Last edited by ferg55; Jul 14th, 2019 at 23:18.
ferg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2019, 06:16   #9
Gazdkw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg55 View Post
The phone options were covered in this post:
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=295986
This is the bit you need to know
"There were two phone options in those days, bluetooth connection for your own mobile, or a full fat in-car phone complete with a very dated curly-cord handset under the centre consul storage lid (no joke, look for yours!)

The latter has the sim card slot in the glove box, and if you wanted Volvo On Call you had to have the latter as it uses the sim to make the emergency calls (I'm not sure why VOC couldn't use bluetooth to your mobile).

The only way of using the full fat phone from your mobile seems to be by inserting a sim (with a different number as you can't duplicate sims apparently) into the slot, and diverting calls to it when you get in the car, which is a bit of a faff."

Your car dosn't have the bluetooth I'm afraid, but there is a kit available as a Volvo accessory which integrates with the buttons, but a stand-alone display I think.
Ok that would make sense. Thankyou for that.

Any ideas what the kit is called? Or how I find it ?
Old Nov 18th, 2019, 12:09   #10
gjm120761

The name of the kit is GROM. It plugs into either rear of head unit OR RTI satnav unit in boot area which is MUCH easier to fit. Functions same no matter where you put it.

it has optional adapters for Bluetooth, aux (small jack) or ipod/iphone (old original type connector) and a microphone

HOWEVER it does not Bluetooth enable the Volvo phone in the car.

It connects your phone to the stereo - by Bluetooth or cable.

I have used mine for a number of years. It's fantastic for music over Bluetooth. The quality is stunning (I connect my android phone) and far superior to using aux/jack.
To be honest, I have always had a PAYASUGO sim in the Volvo phone and used that when driving. it's easy to redirect my Samsung galaxy to it for incoming calls.

But I only phone occasionally when driving.

The Grom bluetooth phone adapter is operated thro the steering wheel controls - so you use those if you want to make calls from your own phone using Bluetooth.

Hope that's clear and makes sense.

G

Now trading in the car, I am going to remove it for sale.
Mine has Bluetooth and Ipod/phone and microphone.
gjm120761 is offline   Reply With Quote