Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

t5 / vxr ???

Views : 2213

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 1st, 2019, 09:02   #11
domhart10
Volvo S40

massivly different cars with power delivery in completly different ways. T5 standard will be some poke but a smoother delivery, the VXR more likely to feel the boost. Lightnes is everything so having a lighter model will make a massive difference.

The T5 standard is really just a cruiser and thats it. I took my T5 on a 1/4 drag strip at santapod and almost got had by a 1.6 pug 205 which was completly standard (no maps / mods etc) but the guy had removed all his seat appart from the driver seat.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1st, 2019, 16:14   #12
mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by T5R92011 View Post
OK, how to describe how your stock T5 should feel.....

Officially, the engine produces maximum torque (320Nm) from 1,500rpm, however even with revs as low as 1,100 rpm in 3rd gear you should be able to gently rest of your foot on the accelerator and feel a big presence of torque grunting you along, barely touching the accelerator.

The car should feel very muscular at these low rpm and it shouldn't feel choked below 5500rpm.

If you put it in 4th gear at 30mph and progressively put your foot down, you should be able to hear the turbo boosting in conjuction with the engine growling, even if starting at 90mph for example.

You should be able to gently pull away from the lights in 2nd gear and (once rolling) put your foot down and absolutely fly to 60mph with no choking or hesitation.

You should also experience moments when you think you're in 2nd gear (because of the torque), then notice you're actually in 4th gear.

As I say, the power delivery should feel very muscular with virtually no effort from you. Whereas the VXR power delivery is more of a "hold on for dear life" kind of top end pull, but laggyness at the lower end of the RPM range.

If your car isn't performing at least as described then you probably have a few sensors/valves that may need changing, e.g the TCV, which degrades over time (100,000 miles or so), or the MAP sensor in the intercooler which can give a incorrect temperature reading and throttle the ECU to withhold boost.

The key thing for me is if you cant hear turbo spool at higher speeds/rpm then there is an issue... When I first bought my T5 at 128,000 miles, it barely felt any faster than my old 180bhp Volvo S60... A few sensor changes later and the car feels pretty fast.
68k mile car with fully stamped history so has been looked after. I can hear turbo spooling up every time I push the loud peddle. Maybe a rolling road session just to see how it's performing after all these years, especially as warranty is about to expire. I have to a new tcv bit it's the elevate one and hear they are not all they are cracked up to be hence not fitting it yet. Remap is on the cards as milltek is already fitted. Just want to make sure it's starting from a decent standard condition first. Only have the vxr to compare to though so not ideal.
mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2019, 16:33   #13
Welton
Premier Member

I've had my T5 for 10 years and have never heard the Turbo 'boosting' through higher revs. I can hear it at very low speeds with the window open; a nice faint whistle between gear changes as the turbo changes speed.

I can hear a kinda whoosh sound in-between high-boost gear changes but take that to be the wastegate.

The T5 has a unique character where it's more than happy to haul you along at very low revs, when I first got mine I would say it drove a bit like a diesel in many ways but without running out of puff suddenly....
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2nd, 2019, 19:29   #14
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welton View Post
I've had my T5 for 10 years and have never heard the Turbo 'boosting' through higher revs. I can hear it at very low speeds with the window open; a nice faint whistle between gear changes as the turbo changes speed.

I can hear a kinda whoosh sound in-between high-boost gear changes but take that to be the wastegate.

The T5 has a unique character where it's more than happy to haul you along at very low revs, when I first got mine I would say it drove a bit like a diesel in many ways but without running out of puff suddenly....
That is interesting Welton, I know with mine that if I hold the speed at 70mph in 4th gear (around 3,500rpm) and then begin to accelerate to 100mph, the turbo spools up and sustains it's boost whistle until I back off the throttle, at which point the "tisss" noise from wastegate is heard.

However when I first got the car, it never whistled at higher rpm and was down on power. After replacing the "PCV"valve" (also referred to as the turbo check valve) at the top of turbo, cleaning the MAP sensor and resetting engine computer it then began to audiably boost at higher rpm.

Does the same in 5th and 6th..and obviously more pronounced as the higher gears keep the revs and the growl lower.

Last edited by T5R92011; Oct 2nd, 2019 at 19:37.
T5R92011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2019, 09:06   #15
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
That is interesting Welton, I know with mine that if I hold the speed at 70mph in 4th gear (around 3,500rpm) and then begin to accelerate to 100mph, the turbo spools up and sustains it's boost whistle until I back off the throttle, at which point the "tisss" noise from wastegate is heard.
I'm not sure if you should be able to hear that to be honest. You should really only hear it spool up before engine noise takes over.

Mine is like Weltons, I hear spooling, then nothing really till I get the wastegate actuator release. I can often hear a sucking induction noise higher up the revs but only as I have a K&N filter.

The only T5 I've heard the turbo make noise throughout was that car cleaning channel guys blue C30, that whined all the way through the range and a lot of the comments said it wasn't normal. IIRC, the car had a replacement turbo at some point throughout his ownership.
Old Oct 3rd, 2019, 10:15   #16
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
I'm not sure if you should be able to hear that to be honest. You should really only hear it spool up before engine noise takes over.

Mine is like Weltons, I hear spooling, then nothing really till I get the wastegate actuator release. I can often hear a sucking induction noise higher up the revs but only as I have a K&N filter.

The only T5 I've heard the turbo make noise throughout was that car cleaning channel guys blue C30, that whined all the way through the range and a lot of the comments said it wasn't normal. IIRC, the car had a replacement turbo at some point throughout his ownership.
Mine definitely doesnt sound like Car Cleaning Guru's T5, his makes quite low frequency whining noise. Mine just sounds like normal 'low pressure' turbo boost, its not loud at all. You have to be paying attention to hear it but it is there.

Anyway with regards to OP VXR vs V50.... well some stats compared to an S40 (V50 is obviously a bit heavier):

Last edited by T5R92011; Oct 3rd, 2019 at 10:59.
The Following User Says Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 3rd, 2019, 11:07   #17
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
this
I can hear mine spools from 2500, its a nice, subtle high-pitch whistle if accelerating very slowly. When floored, its a whoosh of air intake and then when release its a nice PFsssssss or air release.

It can actually be modulated easily via accelerator pedal even on low speeds, I drive to work trough walled streets and often I put my window down and gently woosh-psss for a while just to hear the engine doing it. After some practice you can do it almost "on demand" whenever you fell like it, sometimes you can observe peoples reaction like "wait, what?" when my unsuspecting 'volvo estate' passes by Love it as its not obtrusive like "look at me" modified exhaust, but for a car-fan ear its distinctive enough to pick up the "somethings nice under the hood there" vibe :}
Old Oct 3rd, 2019, 11:48   #18
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post

It can actually be modulated easily via accelerator pedal even on low speeds
I will also admit to doing this....spooling the turbo soley to hear it spin, even though you arent actually trying to accelerate... and I wonder why my around town MPG is so awful...

Also admit that I drive the car in an incredibly uneconomical fashion most of the time... You can drive it around in 6th gear at 30mph, but I often find I'm sat in 3rd gear instead... with the car always "ready to go".

Last edited by T5R92011; Oct 3rd, 2019 at 11:53.
Old Oct 3rd, 2019, 12:33   #19
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
I will also admit to doing this....spooling the turbo soley to hear it spin, even though you arent actually trying to accelerate... and I wonder why my around town MPG is so awful...

Quote:
Also admit that I drive the car in an incredibly uneconomical fashion most of the time... You can drive it around in 6th gear at 30mph, but I often find I'm sat in 3rd gear instead... with the car always "ready to go".
Literally me
Old Oct 3rd, 2019, 13:13   #20
Welton
Premier Member

Mmmm, strange, I picked up my T5 when it had 24K miles on it and have never heard the turbo boosting at higher revs, I can only hear the warble of the engine and it's still the same now at 105K and *lots* of fresh high-end oil through the engine.

The engine still pulls like a train, I've replaced the turbo control valve and the little turbo 'check' valve (for maintenance sake) and had a new pressure sensor in the last 12 months where I felt the boost wasn't as good and this sensor was reading falsely high. None of these things made any difference to the noises the turbo makes and I still see a solid 0.7 bar through the OBD live reader.
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote