Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Bought V60 D6 Hybrid

Views : 19347

Replies : 86

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 4th, 2017, 14:28   #71
tdrees

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselElectric View Post
If you can cope with metric, I find the in-car graph display is better with metric than imperial.
I just found the in car graph today. Not sure if I understand what its telling me yet, but the output on my iPhone is great. I love seeing how frugal I have been for a given journey.

I had a tow bar fitted when I bought it, and tested that today too. Towing the caravan from home to the dealer for service, managed 55.5 MPG with a full starting charge over a 14 mile run. The return journey was 62.9MPG using the remaining charge up. Given that would have been around 30 MPG with my old V50 D5 or 22MPG on my current XC90 D5 (MY08), I am very happy!

Hoping to perform a maps upgrade this evening.
Has anyone had success with RTTI?
tdrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2017, 21:58   #72
steadvex
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaffordIan View Post
I've had a quick look at EVSPEAK, looks like I'm going to be very busy on forums from now on... I wasn't aware of Volvo On Call until I found I haven't got it, looks useful, I believe you can set up keyless entry and start using via a different key-fob? Is this something I can have retro-fitted?
sadly I don't think you can, I spent a long time looking at various hybrid's with what I wanted which is quite difficult considering how few and far between they are!

Nearly all the hybrid's I've seen have Volvo on Call, the quickest way to check I think is to look here, pop your vin in and see if you can buy the subscription https://store.volvocars.com/ well other than looking in your car to see if you have the button up by the interior lights...
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7th, 2017, 19:03   #73
tdrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrees View Post

Hoping to perform a maps upgrade this evening.
Has anyone had success with RTTI?
So RTTI was only introduced in MY18 :-( , but its available as an accessory upgrade for MY15 to MY17 :-). Getting it done on Monday. 8-)
Old Sep 13th, 2017, 14:59   #74
DieselElectric

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrees View Post
I just found the in car graph today. Not sure if I understand what its telling me yet, but the output on my iPhone is great. I love seeing how frugal I have been for a given journey.
:-)

Speaking of the in car graph, has anyone else had, what I guess is a bug, where the graph says you've used lots of fuel for a mile/km yet the car was in pure mode?

I was originally thinking it might be to do with the fuel driven heater but I'm sure I've seen in happen in Summer.

Still, it's nice to be an infrequent visitor to the local forecourt....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg graph.jpg (44.7 KB, 132 views)
DieselElectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 12:13   #75
profszoszmosz

Default Plugin hybrid without ever plugging in?

Hello everybody!

I'm planning on buying a Volvo. Where I live, used D6's are in the same price as D5's. So I am considering this PHEV. The problem is, I rent a flat, so altough my car parks in a private parking lot, I have absolutely no way of ever plugging it in. Aside from maybe the occasional supermarket runs, but it's safe to say, I'd be using it as a hybrid, nor a plugin hybrid vehicle.

I'm not a racing driver, comfort is my preference, so I don't really care about sharp handling around fast corners, and I don't have any children, so the smaller boot size is not a problem for me (I'm even looking at V40's, so you can tell).

My question is: when using the car as a hybrid, without ever plugging it in, how good mileage you can get? Or is it a complete waste of money in this situation? I commute 100 km to work (50 in each way), and sometimes use it in shorter distances. My commute to work is like 20% main road, 60% highway, 20% city.
profszoszmosz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 13:49   #76
tdrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by profszoszmosz View Post
Hello everybody!

I'm planning on buying a Volvo. Where I live, used D6's are in the same price as D5's. So I am considering this PHEV. The problem is, I rent a flat, so altough my car parks in a private parking lot, I have absolutely no way of ever plugging it in. Aside from maybe the occasional supermarket runs, but it's safe to say, I'd be using it as a hybrid, nor a plugin hybrid vehicle.

I'm not a racing driver, comfort is my preference, so I don't really care about sharp handling around fast corners, and I don't have any children, so the smaller boot size is not a problem for me (I'm even looking at V40's, so you can tell).

My question is: when using the car as a hybrid, without ever plugging it in, how good mileage you can get? Or is it a complete waste of money in this situation? I commute 100 km to work (50 in each way), and sometimes use it in shorter distances. My commute to work is like 20% main road, 60% highway, 20% city.
I have had my D6 for a year now, and whilst I love it, I would not recommend it if you are not going to be able to plug in. My work commute is 75 miles one way, and fortunately I rarely actually do it. The last time I did, and started with 0 charge (from work to home) I got 38.1mpg. The same journey (to work) with a full charge returned 56.5 MPG. A 0 charge run from Manchester airport to home over the peaks (120 miles) returned 45MPG.

I use mine plugged in over night at home and its showing me 60.1mpg over the last 100 days, which includes some caravan towing, and the Manchester trip. Todays 29 miles, starting with a full charge gave me an average of 110mpg.

The D5 and D6 are really designed to be used plugged in, not just run as a "normal" hybrid.

My feeling it that the D4 will give you results as good as these (or better) (if you cant charge) for lower up front costs and a bigger boot.
If performance and space are really not an issue, look at the V40 D2 or T2. I have a neighbour returning over 60MPG real world on a 40 mile motorway commute in one.

Good luck !
Tobes
The Following User Says Thank You to tdrees For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 14:16   #77
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by profszoszmosz View Post
Hello everybody!

These do need to be plugged in every day for a head start, it is quite capable of giving the 140 - 150 mpg if used in the best situations where you can charge on the move when braking and going down hill etc , You can top up the battery to about 15% on the move as you approach a town then use pure electric to get you home , this uses a bit more diesel of course . If you do not plug it in then expect the fuel consumption described in the post above . If you go on the motorway a lot the electric motor will be of no help to you .
Remember the batteries have an 8 year warranty , but after that it could easily wipe out all the savings you have made when it needs reconditioning , The battery range decreases slowly from the day it is new …

The V60 or V40 D4 after 2015 are very economical , it will do 50 mpg at 80 mph and around 70 mpg if you can restrain yourself to 50 - 60 mph in the V60 with 8 speed auto . the V40 should be even better .

There are a lot of very expensive high voltage control units on the V60 D6 car too ! and it weighs almost as much as a basic xc90 ..
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 19:45   #78
Tober

Hybrid experience so far is positive apart from the charging infrastructure. Not that this matters in real terms because I tend to charge at home most of the time(3 pin plug). So far 20k miles over 20 months. Mixed driving includes regular 15 miles round trips, 60mile round trip to Newcastle maybe once a week and then once every couple of months 600+ miles London return. Average mpg over life of the car 78mpg. On long runs average mpg tends to be between 40 and 50 mpg and that’s only with a full charge on one leg of the journey. Max range 25miles on Pure in summer. Winter sees that drop to 15/16 mpg.
No problems so far. Bought from new- D5 Twin Engine. Switched tyres to cross climate this week. Wishes from future hybrid - 50 mile range, Preconditioning when not plugged in, touchscreen satnav.
Tober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2018, 20:11   #79
steadvex
Master Member

If MPG is your main concern go for a D2-D4 imo.

Don't get me wrong, I will defend it all day long, and I love driving mine. However I also have a full electric and completely sold on the electric feel, conflicting I also really like the 2.4 diesel engine. For me it sells me on both aspects although in the UK I could of bought a new D2 V60 for the same price I paid for a 3 year old D6 which is a bit eye watering when you think about it! and the D2 would be better on fuel for me...

I have gotten 50-60mpg with the battery fully depleted and going on a long run, to my surprise over an 800 mile trip and full charge from home and then once at my destination I got 60mpg average which I think is amazing for a 2.4 Auto as the 6 speed boxes don't compare to the 8 for economy in my eyes. However the same trip probably would of gotten 70+mpg from any of the 2.0 engines
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6th, 2018, 05:22   #80
profszoszmosz

Thanks everyone for the fast replies! In this case, I'll be getting a regular diesel one. Maybe one day when I have my own garage, I can look into getting one of these.
profszoszmosz is offline   Reply With Quote