Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Air con not cold

Views : 657

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 24th, 2020, 09:39   #1
C30inFrance

Default Air con not cold

Hi folks, the air con on my C30 isn't blowing cold air. Due to the lockdown (I live in France) the car has had no use for around 6 weeks - the AC was fine before lockdown. Now, just as summer kicks in in earnest, it's packed up

It was regassed 2 years ago (no faults/problems were reported) so I don't suspect it needs regassing - but then again, perhaps it does.

I've been reading of expensive fixes (compressor replacement etc) but I'm obviously hoping the problem is a simple one. Perhaps it's just in need to time and a longer than normal run to sort itself out (overly optimistic, I know!)

Could a period of non-use cause problems? Seals dried up or something??
C30inFrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2020, 09:56   #2
Austin160
Master Member

It is not uncommon for systems to be re-gassed to just above the minimum requirement to satisfy a ‘service’ of leak test and re gas.
If it were mine, I would simply get this procedure repeated whenever you can, rather than considering spending money on replacing components.
Kind regards,
Austin.
Austin160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2020, 11:47   #3
C30inFrance

Thank you for replying Austin. To be honest, I was thinking of doing that as a first step but I read a comment about 'throwing good money after bad' and wondered if a bit of diagnosis wouldn't hurt.

I can't really afford an expensive repair just now so maybe a simple regassing (if poss) will serve for another couple of summers.
Old May 24th, 2020, 13:20   #4
C30inFrance

I've just connected OBD & Torque to look at any fault codes. There were 3, only 1 of which* seemed remotely relevant - P2485, relating to the temperature sensor circuit.

*the other 2, P2585 and P0341, are irrelevant here but worrying in their own right!
Old May 24th, 2020, 13:23   #5
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by C30inFrance View Post
I've just connected OBD & Torque to look at any fault codes. There were 3, only 1 of which* seemed remotely relevant - P2485, relating to the temperature sensor circuit.

*the other 2, P2585 and P0341, are irrelevant here but worrying in their own right!
There are instructions somewhere to recalibrate the climate control. might be worth searching. Could simply be a faulty temp sensor in the cabin
lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lockstock For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2020, 10:44   #6
pdig

Hello C30inFrance,

My 2006 V50 had an aircon fault after an impact with a blown lorry tyre hitting the front grill. No obvious damage but the AC unit looking like a radiator at the base of the front of the car below the reg plate had been bent within the filaments. The condenser needed replacement. Has anything hit the condenser? See photo attached of my unit when damaged.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo car.jpg (177.5 KB, 23 views)
pdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2020, 15:17   #7
C30inFrance

Just to bring to an end, I had it recharged and all is ok. Well, ok-ish. Plus side is that it refilled without error or requiring any repairs or whatever. The garage that refilled it seemed to think that every 2 years was nothing to be alarmed about.

But I'd swear it's not as cold as it once was. That can only be down to the stuff used to refill it surely?
Old Jul 9th, 2020, 11:56   #8
domhart10
Volvo S40

Quote:
Just to bring to an end, I had it recharged and all is ok. Well, ok-ish. Plus side is that it refilled without error or requiring any repairs or whatever. The garage that refilled it seemed to think that every 2 years was nothing to be alarmed about.

But I'd swear it's not as cold as it once was. That can only be down to the stuff used to refill it surely?
A common issue on these are the condensers as well, you might have a small leak there, just incase it goes down again.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9th, 2020, 14:32   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:

It is NOT normal to have to fill the system every 2 years .... it is a completely sealed system and by law cannot leak more than a tiny amount each year .
Most volvo systems never need attention for 10 or 20 years . the garages duty is to take the gas out and see how it compares to the volume it should be , if less they are obliged by law to do a Nitrogen PRESSURE test NOT a vacuum test which is built into most old AC test machines . The law changed about 8 years ago .

It is most likely your condenser leaking , or blocked up with leaves , Condensers can fail even after 4 or 5 years ...due to the flying debris on the roads.