Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Buying a New XC60?

Views : 4999

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 20th, 2021, 08:20   #1
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Default Buying a New XC60?

Hello All

It’s been a very long time since last posting regards my now aged MY2011 XC90 and it’s now time to move her on as breakdowns and repairs are becoming more and more frequent – but I will be very sad to see her go...

As a new replacement, I’m considering a new XC60 (the new XC90 is now just too large and expensive) Mild hybrid, Inscription, Petrol AWD. I would also most likely include the old XC90 as a trade-in – just saves me the time and hassle of private buyer dingdongs.

Having been out of the Volvo car buying game for some time, are there any tips/tricks that anyone can pass on for getting the best price and also anything not to miss in the negotiation.

The current 0% finance deal looks a good option as well as the 5 year service package. Do dealers now tend to start the haggle based on quotes from places like CarWow or are they happy to start more openly. I’ve heard that some car dealers almost expect you to have the CarWow offer in advance.

It would also be interesting to know how the ‘lay of the land’ is currently right now for new buyers i.e. are dealers open to lowball offers or do they have more customers than available cars so being inflexible and hardnose. My worry is that there may be an avalanche of buyers with money burning a whole in their pockets following Covid unlocking.

Many thanks in advance and any advice and guidance much appreciated.

LRS
Old May 20th, 2021, 09:00   #2
Scotia64

Definitely get the 5 yr service plan, I got zero % interest but I had to pay 50% deposit to get. I used carwow as a haggling tool & the dealer wasn’t far away from the carwow offer. I tried to trade in my Freelander 2 (mint condition) but they undervalued it by £3k , I sold it privately in a heartbeat for the price I wanted.
Old May 20th, 2021, 10:32   #3
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Many thanks (Scotia64)

What is a good site for doing online used car valuations? Again, it's been a long time since using these.

Also, was your final discounted price made up of the following:
  • Finance company contribution paid to the dealer
  • Dealer discount given to you (based on CarWow)
  • Dealer throw-ins e.g. Service Plans, Extended Warranties...

Just to get an idea what options the dealer has to play with and what I can try and haggle .

Cheers
LRS
Old May 20th, 2021, 10:41   #4
bluey_xc90

Just gone through the same thing myself - replacing a well loved 11 xc90 which we've had for 9 years witha few niggles coming through. Decided to go for new vs second hand due to the cost being similar for newarly new and finance being higher percentage.

Used carwow to get prices on the models I wanted and then spoke to local dealers. I then discovered there are additional loyalty discounts this quarter for xc90 (not sure if for xc60 as well) - another £3600 off the dealer discount.

Now waiting for delivery at start of july.... getting excited!

Edit - get the 5 year service pack as others have said. Got about 22% overall discount on the xc90 including £5k for taking finance - pretty much covered most of the interest charged and less lump sum down compared to 0% (will clear car in full in 4 years time)
bluey_xc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2021, 10:42   #5
techwatcher
Master Member

When we bought our XC60 last May the deal was such that I didn't negotiate - IIRC it was something like 10% off list price, a further £2000 for being a loyal customer, they paid us £3000 to take 3 years interest free credit (called it "finance contribution") and a good trade-in value for our 3-year old XC60.

The service package wasn't offered at the time but I had a call four months after delivery to offer it. Snap their hand off if it is offered.

You're essentially buying a commodity product so it doesn't really matter from where it is purchased. I would use carwow as a negotiating tool but ensure that you are really comparing 'like with like'.
Old May 20th, 2021, 11:41   #6
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Many thanks again for all the replies

A question regards the XC60 'Running Boards' option. Are they worth having and paying for on the XC60?

I have them on my current XC90 and they are useful allowing you to stand on them with both feet to reach the roof, stoping door knocks from other cars thus being very functional.

Are the Running Boards on the XC60 more cosmetic than functional? The XC60 ones look a bit more delicate and less strong than the XC90 ones.

The other thing which is anoying is that the XC60 front mud flaps can't be combined with the running board option - unlike my current XC90 that can have both. Mud flaps are a defo option for me to have.

Cheers
LRS
Old May 20th, 2021, 13:33   #7
Gaggsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS View Post
Many thanks (Scotia64)

What is a good site for doing online used car valuations?
Autotrader in my opinion. They have a huge database so are able to give a pretty accurate idea of prices - private/part-ex, buying or selling.

It's worth getting a valuation from webuyanycar.com or similar, if only to get a benchmark. But be honest when you describe the condition if you want a realistic price.

Before buying my Volvo V90 in March I was looking at a used BMW and had a Mercedes to sell. The dealer selling the BMW offered a part exchange price (over the phone) roughly the same as webuyanycar but said he wouldn't mark it down when I brought it in. I didn't like the price offered so looked around and found Motorway.co.uk who got me a much better price. The BMW sale fell through so I then went out and bought the Volvo.

Obviously we were still in full lockdown in March and private sales on Autotrader didn't seem to be moving so I think I got a good deal on the old Merc. I see that the dealer who bought it still has it for sale on Autotrader 10 weeks later. Maybe the £2k markup is a bit too much!

Now that lockdown is easing, and if I was doing it again now, I'd list it privately on Autotrader.
Gaggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2021, 22:58   #8
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Sorry All, but another question:

If I order my new XC60 in the next couple of weeks, does anyone know what model revision I am likkly to get e.g. MY21 or MY22?

Will it come with the new 'Google Maps and Google Assistant' that is replacing the old Volvo Sensus infotainment software?

It would be annoying to just miss out in getting the latest model revision updates.

Cheers
Old May 21st, 2021, 01:42   #9
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:

Hello All

Having been out of the Volvo car buying game for some time, are there any tips/tricks that anyone can pass on for getting the best price and also anything not to miss in the negotiation.

The current 0% finance deal looks a good option as well as the 5 year service package. Do dealers now tend to start the haggle based on quotes from places like CarWow or are they happy to start more openly. I’ve heard that some car dealers almost expect you to have the CarWow offer in advance.

It would also be interesting to know how the ‘lay of the land’ is currently right now for new buyers i.e. are dealers open to lowball offers or do they have more customers than available cars so being inflexible and hardnose. My worry is that there may be an avalanche of buyers with money burning a whole in their pockets following Covid unlocking.

Many thanks in advance and any advice and guidance much appreciated.

LRS
Quote:
Sorry All, but another question:

If I order my new XC60 in the next couple of weeks, does anyone know what model revision I am likkly to get e.g. MY21 or MY22?

Will it come with the new 'Google Maps and Google Assistant' that is replacing the old Volvo Sensus infotainment software?

It would be annoying to just miss out in getting the latest model revision updates.

Cheers

Just a thought, and you may already be aware of this, but worth mentioning if you are not. If your heart is dead set on the new Google software then it may not be any good to you.

One thing in your favour, as the cars are on the verge of changing over to the new Google System you may be able to get some extra savings if you don't mind the 'older' system. Could be worth getting a quote for a car built to your specification and one from the dealers list and see if there are any savings to be had.

Dealers effectively reserve build slots for cars they keep in stock, with various trim and engine choices. Usually they will check their stocklist to see if anything is suitable when you place your order. Sometimes, if a car meets your requirements in all other respects except for one or two packs for example, and it is before the cut off point in the production list they could amend the order. Of course you need to have a degree of flexibility in this approach. I guess this approach would depend if there are any cars of the previous Model Year still in the build programme.

This was my experience when I purchased my Cross Country. I specced the car up to my choice and the dealer checked their list and low and behold they had one on order with everything I wanted except Harman Kardon Sound. Unfortunately in my case it was past the point were the order could be amended as it was due to be built the following week, but as the standard sound system is so good I decided to forego the option. Three weeks later the car arrived at the dealers, so effectively I had jumped the queue.

If you are a member of any clubs or associations extra savings can be had in addition to the available manufacturers and dealer discounts through the Volvo Affinity Scheme.

https://www.volvocars.com/uk/cars/bu...tner-programme

British Association for Shooting and Conservation (BASC) c/o Tyson Cooper Ltd
British Military (UK Based)
British Triathlon Federation
Caravan and Motorhome Club
Emergency Services Employee Scheme
Healthcare Professionals
IAM RoadSmart
Institute of Chartered Accountants of England and Wales (ICAEW)
Institute of Engineering and Technology (IET)
​National Farmers Union (NFU)
National Farmers Union Scotland (NFUS)
Royal Institute of British Architects (c/o Tyson Cooper LTD)
Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors (RICS) c/o Tyson Cooper LTD
Royal College of General Practitioners
Royal Yachting Association (RYA)
Ski Club of Great Britain c/o Tyson Cooper LTD
The Law Society
Volvo Owners Club
Xexec

*With the Affinity Programme you need to have been a member for at least six months.

Last edited by MikeGMT; May 21st, 2021 at 02:04.
MikeGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2021, 02:36   #10
destone

For what it’s worth, have you test driven both the XC60 and XC90? The XC90 may seem big from the outside but it’s not that big inside. We have both XC90 and S90 and I consider both cars to be mid-sized (Mercedes GLS & S class/BMW X7 & 7 full-size).
destone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to destone For This Useful Post: