Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The Amazing B18

Views : 691

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 30th, 2015, 02:30   #1
volvogv
Master Member

Default The Amazing B18

Lately I've been experiencing a loss of power when climbing hills. Usually a quick reset of the carb mixtures would bring it back. Normal tuning helps somewhat but the engine shakes and it won't run at normal idle speed.

Took a closer look at the engine. Cleaned and gapped the plugs. No change. Cleaned the carb domes. No change. Timing good, dwell angle good.

Pulled the spark plugs and ran a compression test:
1) 142 psi
2) 142 psi
3) 142 psi
4) 1 psi

That's right! 1 psi. It's amazing to me that the B18 can run with a dead cylinder and still keep up with freeway traffic.

I looked at the rockers to make sure they move (they do). I'm unable to open the engine until after June but I have a couple of theories to explain a total loss of pressure:

- Hole burned in piston.
- Severely burned valves.

I would think a failed head gasket or worn rings would still build up some pressure? Any ideas?

Mike
volvogv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30th, 2015, 08:31   #2
Underdrive

I think a holed piston would allow some oil past and this would cause some blue smoke to appear from the exhaust. I had a similar problem a while back and the car still got me a few hundred miles back home, compression test showed virtually no compression on one cylinder but I still haven't taken the head off to check it out, just substituted it for another engine I had.
Underdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Underdrive For This Useful Post:
Old May 1st, 2015, 15:14   #3
RSready

A leak down test would give you an answer.
RSready is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RSready For This Useful Post:
Old May 1st, 2015, 16:05   #4
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

Mike;

First, I'd confirm your reading to assure that you didn't have an error using the compression-gauge (that would be a great simple answer and much preferred to just about any other possibility at this point)...but if 0psi reading is confirmed, there is obviously a big problem which will likely need the head to be removed (at least). It's either valves, or piston (with a blown head gasket, there would still be a certain amount of compression made).

Before removing head, I'd remove valve cover and verify both valves are fully closed and showing rocker to valve-stem clearance when #4 is at TDC (seat recession from unleaded fuel can cause exhaust valve not to fully close which would prevent compression...intake valves do not exhibit this issue). If you have access to bore-scope (micro)camera, you might want to take a look around the combustion chamber, to see what is not right (I expect the cause should be pretty obvious when you look around).

If it's a valve issue, removing head will be a good start...if it's a holed piston, engine needs a rebuild, but question is: What caused this in the first place? Super-lean mixture, way retarded timing, something you haven't told us of, etc? It would be mighty bad to install a fresh engine only to have it be hurt again by the original cause! Determine and fix root cause!

RS; A leakdown test is not going to tell Mike anything he doesn't already know...it is typically performed to confirm a leak in what is supposed to be a sealed volume...what Mike has is a catastrophic leak in his volume (combustion chamber) which is preventing compression...and he already knows that...

Good Hunting from Connecticut...let us know how you make out!

Last edited by Ron Kwas; May 1st, 2015 at 16:08.
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Kwas For This Useful Post:
Old May 1st, 2015, 17:32   #5
Derek UK
VOC Member

"Seat recession from unleaded fuel can cause exhaust valve not to fully close which would prevent compression...intake valves do not exhibit this issue."

Just the opposite of that. Inlets normally OK. Seat recession gradually closes the valve clearance and can get to the point that the valve doesn't close at all. This situation will mean no compression on that cylinder. Check all of your valve clearances, especially that one. If you take the rocker gear off and put a straight edge along the valve tops, it's unlikely that they will be exactly in line but the exhaust valves are the ones to check. the amount they vary will denote the amount of recession. It is possible that some thousands of miles back the head was off and the seats recut without adding inserts for lead free and because of this the exhaust valve levels might not be equal if different seats needed different amounts of cut. In this case you could still have good compression. i.e. the 3 that are good might show some difference.
A totally flat cam lobe can kill a cylinder without much loss of compression if the valve clearances are OK. It just won't lift much. Turn the engine over and watch that cylinder's valves. The lack of lift will be obvious.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post: