Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Can the XC40 be my new XC60!!?

Views : 5347

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 8th, 2017, 09:34   #11
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockers View Post
For me it's not so much the price but the massive depreciation.

Also my car is running fine, owes me nothing, comfortable so why change?? Even if something serious goes Kaput it's still cheaper to fix it than lose £1000s in depreciation.

God I'm getting old and boring.
And this is the problem for new car sales. I selected my XC60 just as I wanted it and, although I do a high mileage, intend to keep for quite a few years. I'll continue with dealer servicing which - although it will cost more than an Indy - will still be far more cost effective than 'changing every three years'.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2017, 09:58   #12
deepsix

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelDay View Post
And this is the problem for new car sales. I selected my XC60 just as I wanted it and, although I do a high mileage, intend to keep for quite a few years. I'll continue with dealer servicing which - although it will cost more than an Indy - will still be far more cost effective than 'changing every three years'.
I did the same with my XC60 R Design Lux Nav manual with Winter pack, Sunroof and removable towbar. etc It had all I wanted on it. I had no intention of changing it. I paid the £16.5k end of PCP payment to keep it, as to replace it with like for like (which is virtually impossible to match my spec) would have been over £20k...... I did absolutely love the V90 concept though.

Then I saw the V90CC; too much research to the point of obsession and the XC60 was handed over very reluctantly in exchange for a unbelievably highly specced V90CC which I'll keep forever.....? I am still missing the XC60 but will get over it I'm sure.
Now how do all those systems work?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (37.3 KB, 46 views)

I'm a Hornithologist, I love exotic birds.
deepsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8th, 2017, 10:43   #13
XCeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeIOW View Post
Wasn't the first edition still under £40k?
I thought it looked a fine spec...but I'm not sure I will bite....a lot of money for a car in the next 'sector' down!
The XC40 launch model (with a fancy name, fancy spec and fancy price) is listed at £38,950, or £40,000 on the road, which I think brings it below the punitive VEA threshold.
I think Volvo would do well to make up its mind about its car placements.
Most people - like you Mike - would baulk at paying £40k for an XC40, so why do Volvo pitch their opening gambit in this territory?
(They did the same, of course, with the XC90 and XC60 launches)
I wish Volvo would just build the bl**dy cars and let US choose the features we want or need, at a price with which we are comfortable. From day one.
...something about putting the customer first!
Old Oct 8th, 2017, 14:19   #14
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

But they know what we want, they have every order that has ever been placed and it is a simple exercise to see what is being ordered and what is not.

What is ordered by most customers becomes the base build, what many order becomes an option pack, and what is seldom ordered, but can be incorporated easily becomes an individual option and doesn't need to be incorporated during build becomes dealer fit.

They don't add stuff that people don't want as that would increase the price without resultant sales - and on price they know precisely what the market will pay.
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 8th, 2017, 17:43   #15
XCeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
...and on price they know precisely what the market will pay.
I have no doubt the First Edition sales will enable the Volvo movers and shakers to give themselves a corporate pat on the back. But I would suggest that in this sector buyers are not so well off that they can be steered into paying for stuff they could do without.
Surely, many more buyers would be lining up their orders for the lower specced, lower priced variant models if they were given the chance.
But Volvo says no...know your place and get to the back of the queue! Most unpalatable!
Old Oct 8th, 2017, 17:55   #16
NigelDay
Premier Member

If I want the "Park Assist Pilot - Automatic Parallel and 90º Parking" I can only get this with the Xenium Pack, but this gives me a sunroof I would never use.
As with all new models, unless you are desperate for a new XC40, it is better to wait a year or so until the specifications and options have settled down.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 07:56   #17
Crockers
Premier Member

∆ Totally agree. I'd never buy a new model until some other poor punters have acted as guinea pigs and the new gremlins have been sorted (Arianne would disagree but his experience reinforces this). Also no chance of any sensible pricing on a new model, so you will be screwed on purchase and screwed on selling.
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 14:26   #18
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Quote:
so you will be screwed on purchase and screwed on selling.
I recall my father telling me at a very early point in my car ownership 'career' that once I owned a car, I'd never stop putting my hand in my pocket to pay for things.....
he was right: the level of how screwed we are may vary from year to year, car to car, but driving is NEVER an investment!!
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeIOW For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 15:52   #19
XCeed

Quote:
I'd never buy a new model until some other poor punters have acted as guinea pigs and the new gremlins have been sorted (Arianne would disagree but his experience reinforces this). Also no chance of any sensible pricing on a new model, so you will be screwed on purchase and screwed on selling.
You're quite right. If I decide to go for the XC40, it will be the first time I have placed myself in this vulnerable position. At least I will wait until I have had a thorough test drive of the car, which is more than many people do with these new launches. But then again, it is a Volvo, what can possibly go wrong!!?

(PS: the other two cars on my short list are the ePace and the next generation CRV - neither of which have proved themselves yet! Doooogh, I’d better go and lie down in a darkened room!!)
Old Oct 9th, 2017, 19:53   #20
XCeed

Just found a YouTube video giving direct comparison info for the XC60 and XC40.
Interior seating dimensions are much the same, seems it’s the cargo space that sacrificed in the 40.
Thought the performance figures were interesting too - the XC40 is quicker!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BtUHVjncxio