Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The Morbidmobile Blog

Views : 50508

Replies : 637

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 22nd, 2018, 09:51   #201
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSaintJames View Post
It's turned into an investment, our current house is a flat above four garages - a coach house, and as keen gardners/outdoorsy people we are struggling in a housing estate without a garden. So new house is in a little village with a big garden, but needs lots of work (hence it being cheap and affordable - just!).

We wanted to move anyway, but realised it was hardly worth selling our coach house and we could afford a second mortgage as the first was quite small. Once we have the coach house rented out things will be fine, but until then it's beans on toast for dinner! It'll be worth it in the long run, the coach house will be a pension asset for us.

I'll keep the winter tyre advice in mind, we may well need them for the Kia in the new house, the roads in the village will almost certainly not be gritted, i'll be cycling to work too - so may need some for my bike!
Cycling to work and beans on toast? That's scarily tight! At least with all those beans, you should get to work quicker although your work colleagues might not appreciate it!

Hope you get your coach house rented out quickly, flats generally get rented quickly so you're in with a good chance.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2018, 10:32   #202
TomSaintJames

It's not all quite that bad, I may have been exaggerating slightly! But we've become comfortable-ish where we are now, so will have to dial things back.

I walk to work now anyway, it's about 35 minutes, but beats paying the £40 a month car park fee (for staff) at the hospital, and even then you're not gaurenteed a space! The new house is outside of town, so the walk would be 50 mins or so - makes sense to cycle 20/25 mins instead and the road out of the village is a bit dodgy, better to be on a bike in that case than walking, especially in the dark!

We have slightly cunningly planned to have the coach house on the market for renting mid to late January, apparently the best time for rentals, so fingers crossed.
1991 Saab 900i 2.0 16v Convertible
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE
TomSaintJames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TomSaintJames For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2018, 21:35   #203
TomSaintJames

I am told that the new front suspension is in, the replacement strut hubs had to be used, the existing didn't fit and the front wheels have spacers, so the bolts on the replacement hubs had to be shortened, but the front is now done. If im right in thinking, will this affect things if i wanted to put standard wheels on at any point? I dont for the foreseeable.

I've sourced some replacement rear spring fixings, but my attention has been drawn to the stiffness of the rear springs. Heavy duty ones bave been recommended to me, in the absence of these does anyone know if standard estate springs are stiffer than the saloons?

Thanks.
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE
Old Nov 29th, 2018, 23:12   #204
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSaintJames View Post
I am told that the new front suspension is in, the replacement strut hubs had to be used, the existing didn't fit and the front wheels have spacers, so the bolts on the replacement hubs had to be shortened, but the front is now done. If im right in thinking, will this affect things if i wanted to put standard wheels on at any point? I dont for the foreseeable.

I've sourced some replacement rear spring fixings, but my attention has been drawn to the stiffness of the rear springs. Heavy duty ones bave been recommended to me, in the absence of these does anyone know if standard estate springs are stiffer than the saloons?

Thanks.
The nuts or studs on the replacement hubs Tom? Depending on what has been done, it may well effect things if you want to fit standard wheels. It may also invalidate your insurance.

The standard estate rear springs (non-Nivo type) should be stiff enough, not sure if they'rre stiffer than the saloon but they are stiffer than springs for Nivo equipped cars. If you haven't already got springs, it might pay to have a word with the nice man you're getting the spring fixings from, sure he has the rear springs and shocks available.
What shocks have you got for the back end at the moment?

Heavy duty rear springs would be a good option but it depends how heavy the back end is compared to a standard car, it may not be that much different to be honest, maybe even lighter.

Reckon you'll be taking out shares in Nurofen for all the headaches this is giving you as well!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 19:51   #205
TomSaintJames

Well folks, its taken a not insubstantial amount of time, but we picked the hearse up this evening. I paid over the phone on my tea break at work, and was very glad i was sat down. £813 for the work, not including the spares i found, so all in just shy of 1k

BUT it is so bloody lovely to drive now! It wafts along with almost hydraulic citroen like comfort, a comparison i dont make lightly as my other car is a BX GT. It rides quite a bit higher now, which is good for ground clearance, ill get some photos at fhe weekend.for.you all.

We are currently on track to complete and collect the keys to our new house on Monday, so good timing for lovely suspension bht bad timing for the bill...
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TomSaintJames For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 4th, 2018, 20:59   #206
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Glad you've finally got it sorted on the suspension front Tom! I know it's cost you a small fortune but on the bright side, you can save that by not needing to hire Pickfords to move you now!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2018, 12:52   #207
TomSaintJames

So the hearse is driving lovely, SO very much more comfortable now. The 17" wheels are making it slightly fidgety and the prop is still whining away, if a little quieter - it will have to continue to whine!

Unfortunately either the new dipstick os the wrong part, or the old one is incorrect as they are different lengths. The longer is the old one, that came with the car (and has a snapped handle).

2007 Lexus RX 400h SE
Old Dec 8th, 2018, 13:18   #208
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

The yellow one is for the gearbox Tom!

Glad it's riding better anyway!

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2018, 14:08   #209
360beast
Go redblock or go home

If you measure them both Tom I will measure mine and then you can work out what’s going on.

That sentence sounds so dirty when I read it back
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2018, 14:25   #210
TomSaintJames

I love a bit of dirty talk but must. Resist. Penis. Related. Sexual. Comment.

Phew, did it.

It looks quite different from the gearbox dipstick Dave and was definitely sold as for the engine (not that that necessarily means anything!). My phone camera didn't quite get the colour right too, it's actually flourescent orange.

I measured from the base of the plastic handle, so measuring the visible metal bit:
Old - 60.2cm
New - 57.5cm

How big's yours Luke?
2007 Lexus RX 400h SE