Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

rocker box/valve cover

Views : 2706

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 8th, 2011, 21:40   #1
volvonic272

Default rocker box/valve cover

Restoring my 1965 P1800 engine. I would like some help on the closest shade of silver to paint the rocker cover or is it zinc coated. This would save me time if someone has done theirs. Does the paint have to be high temperature?
Any polite suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks dave
volvonic272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 21:51   #2
940_Turbo

The weren't painted, they're cadmium plated originally. The nearest finish you'll readily get is silver zinc passivated or nickel plated.
940_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 940_Turbo For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 8th, 2011, 22:16   #3
tdz840
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 940_Turbo View Post
The weren't painted, they're cadmium plated originally. The nearest finish you'll readily get is silver zinc passivated or nickel plated.
We do Cad plating at my company. You will appreaciate it is heavily controlled and few if any companies are left.
If you want it CAD plated I can inquire
Russ
tdz840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 19:09   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

I would be interested.

Could even possibly get a batch done - price dependant.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2011, 19:46   #5
tdz840
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicswede View Post
I would be interested.

Could even possibly get a batch done - price dependant.
Traditionally we have only supplied the defence market but are looking to expand the treatment capability. We have the largest treatment center on the south coast.
I had all my bolts CAD plated prior to rerassembly on the suspension. I would suggest you give me a list of parts and I will ask.
One other thing; I work away alot leaving Tuesday but will be back in the country the first week of March. Gewt your list to me tommorow and I will ask Monday
Russ
PS Do you want deembrittlement after treatment?
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 08:28   #6
swede

I used to work in the british motorcycle industry (Norton, Matchless, AJS) at a time when cadmium plating was the norm. I would say that deembrittlement is essential for any safety related items like suspension bolts particulary if the type of steel used is unknown. I have witnessed first hand items that have snapped just by being tightened but they don't aways snap straight away!
swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 15:53   #7
tdz840
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swede View Post
I used to work in the british motorcycle industry (Norton, Matchless, AJS) at a time when cadmium plating was the norm. I would say that deembrittlement is essential for any safety related items like suspension bolts particulary if the type of steel used is unknown. I have witnessed first hand items that have snapped just by being tightened but they don't aways snap straight away!
I would agree with suspension components as a belts and braces but the CAD process doesnt induce the stresses the other treatment processes do (reason that it is retaned in defence/aero markets).
It will be a added cost as you need to heat soak for 24 hrs at a descending rate.
Ive always use the process but a freiend doesnt and never had any problems.
Think is when you buy your shiny bolts from ebay how many have had deembrtittlement??!¬
Russ
Old Feb 14th, 2011, 16:13   #8
222s
Amazoniste

If as Dai suggests, a batch of rocker covers are redone, I'd certainly be very interested

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 07:39   #9
swede

I have recently had my rocker cover zinc plated and it looks fine for what I want but be warned the plating process be it zinc or cadmium will remove rust but will not remove the rough surface where the rust has been. The result can be a patchy finish of shiny and dull areas unless ofcourse you have the cover polished before plating to give a smooth surface all over but then it will look better than they did originally. As they say you pay your money and make your choice.

By the way embrittlement is an issue for high tensile steels and not the average bolts you buy and hence why caution is need when dealing with safety related components. It is good to hear someone can still do Cadmium I still think it looks better than zinc on older cars but I guess it is may be expensive. Any chance of a contact when I next need some plating done?
swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2011, 15:20   #10
Alf ista
Premier Member

I know its nice to get that original look. What do ye think about a rattle can special? My cover was nasty looking with surface rust over most of it. I rubbed it down well, then gave a couple of coats of primer followed by a few coats of silver. I rubbed it down between each coat. Very happy with the result: