Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 599446

Replies : 2691

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 19th, 2018, 16:17   #1871
K5 Gus

Last December, at just over 3 years old, got my EGR Valve and solenoid replaced - costs covered by Volvo.

Last week CEL on again, took it in, and EGR Cooler and pipework needed done. Volvo seemingly replacing up to 4 years old free of charge, but they are very strict on the 4 years to the day, my car is 4 years old tomorrow, work done today.

Feel I struck it lucky there, another few days and it would have cost me around £800 I think is the going rate.

Anyone else coming up to 4 years old, and not had cooler, pipework and valve replaced, hope it goes soon !!!!
Old Nov 21st, 2018, 11:06   #1872
Craig S

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5 Gus View Post
Last December, at just over 3 years old, got my EGR Valve and solenoid replaced - costs covered by Volvo.

Last week CEL on again, took it in, and EGR Cooler and pipework needed done. Volvo seemingly replacing up to 4 years old free of charge, but they are very strict on the 4 years to the day, my car is 4 years old tomorrow, work done today.

Feel I struck it lucky there, another few days and it would have cost me around £800 I think is the going rate.

Anyone else coming up to 4 years old, and not had cooler, pipework and valve replaced, hope it goes soon !!!!
Well my car is back into volvo with the CEL on again, and it is over 4 years old and have been told that I will most likely have to pay £1000+ to get the parts replaced. This is despite the fact that the EGR and Cooler have both been replaced according to the local dealer. (I believe less than 2 years ago).

The dealer is basically saying - you've had the replacement parts, and your car has done over 100k miles so it's your cost now.

Which IMHO is absolute BS. I have had several diesel Volvo's in the past, my previous car was a 2010 V70 D5 (205) with 130k miles on the clock when I got rid of it to buy the current Volvo Pig in a Poke, and during 4 years of ownership of the D5 never once did I have any issues with the EGR or associated systems.

The long and short of it the current EGR/Cooler set up is not fit for purpose e.g. for driving in a mix of urban and extra urban driving. If an EGR/Cooler requires replacing every 2 years then that part is the problem not the driving.

I specifically fuel the car with Shell V Power or Esso Supreme Diesel, and do a mix of urban and extra urban, with the urban driving coming to around 20 miles per week, and extra urban around 100 miles per week. So it's not the kind of car that sits in traffic all day every day.
Craig S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2018, 16:11   #1873
Turnwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig S View Post
Well my car is back into volvo with the CEL on again, and it is over 4 years old and have been told that I will most likely have to pay £1000+ to get the parts replaced. This is despite the fact that the EGR and Cooler have both been replaced according to the local dealer. (I believe less than 2 years ago).

The dealer is basically saying - you've had the replacement parts, and your car has done over 100k miles so it's your cost now.

Which IMHO is absolute BS. I have had several diesel Volvo's in the past, my previous car was a 2010 V70 D5 (205) with 130k miles on the clock when I got rid of it to buy the current Volvo Pig in a Poke, and during 4 years of ownership of the D5 never once did I have any issues with the EGR or associated systems.

The long and short of it the current EGR/Cooler set up is not fit for purpose e.g. for driving in a mix of urban and extra urban driving. If an EGR/Cooler requires replacing every 2 years then that part is the problem not the driving.

I specifically fuel the car with Shell V Power or Esso Supreme Diesel, and do a mix of urban and extra urban, with the urban driving coming to around 20 miles per week, and extra urban around 100 miles per week. So it's not the kind of car that sits in traffic all day every day.
Not good. I am now at 120k miles and worried about the problems rearing their head again. Worryingly, yesterday I got message I have never seen before asking me to add 0.5L of engine oil....my last service was 9000 miles ago. Are these engines and their exhaust systems built to last? The engine in my last car (Audi A4) was bullet proof and I had no issues before I sold it with 185k on the clock. These problems would make think twice before buying a Volvo again unless it is absolutely clear they have rectified the problem with the new cars (by moving to adBlu?) We own the earliest version of the VEA engine so I guess we were test mules to an extent...

Last edited by Turnwood; Nov 21st, 2018 at 16:18.
Turnwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2018, 16:13   #1874
Turnwood

Also, get tough with the dealer and Volvo UK and threaten them with the small claims court if they don't offer to contribute the majority. I am no expert, but I suspect they are on shaky legal ground given that this is a known issue which seems to affect all cars fitted with this engine variant (unless someone can say otherwise?)

Last edited by Turnwood; Nov 21st, 2018 at 16:18.
Old Nov 21st, 2018, 18:40   #1875
iain cooper

reading the recent posts on the VEA engine problems, especially related to the EGR issues, it definitely gives the impression that this engine was not properly tested before launch ?

Iain
Old Nov 21st, 2018, 19:01   #1876
Turnwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by iain cooper View Post
reading the recent posts on the VEA engine problems, especially related to the EGR issues, it definitely gives the impression that this engine was not properly tested before launch ?

Iain
I certainly wouldn’t be wanting to buy a 2014/2015 model with say 50-75k miles on the clock...

Old Nov 21st, 2018, 19:42   #1877
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnwood View Post
I certainly wouldn’t be wanting to buy a 2014/2015 model with say 50-75k miles on the clock...
Oh dear (2015/64 model on 68k miles)

What happened to the 2016 model that would make it OK?
Old Nov 22nd, 2018, 19:09   #1878
ChrisFromFrance

Quote:
Not good. I am now at 120k miles and worried about the problems rearing their head again. Worryingly, yesterday I got message I have never seen before asking me to add 0.5L of engine oil....my last service was 9000 miles ago. Are these engines and their exhaust systems built to last? The engine in my last car (Audi A4) was bullet proof and I had no issues before I sold it with 185k on the clock. These problems would make think twice before buying a Volvo again unless it is absolutely clear they have rectified the problem with the new cars (by moving to adBlu?) We own the earliest version of the VEA engine so I guess we were test mules to an extent...

Welcome to the Volvo Oil Burning Club

Mine burns 1 liter every 1300 kilometers (800 miles) !
It started by half a liter.

I add one liter when the red symbol occurs /!\ .

__________________________________________________ _
V60 2014 D4 181 (VEA) Summum 122000kms // 75000miles

Last edited by ChrisFromFrance; Nov 22nd, 2018 at 19:11.
ChrisFromFrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2018, 19:28   #1879
ChrisFromFrance

Quote:
Also, get tough with the dealer and Volvo UK and threaten them with the small claims court if they don't offer to contribute the majority. I am no expert, but I suspect they are on shaky legal ground given that this is a known issue which seems to affect all cars fitted with this engine variant (unless someone can say otherwise?)

Hi Turnwood

I've tried a procedure against Volvo not so easy...
Experts had examined my car. The cars burns too much oil according to Volvo tolerance. The cylinders are leaking.
It cost me 1000€ for these experts.
For a juridical procedure, it will cost me 3500€ for new experts. The cars will be parked in a garage (15€/day)....and the procedure will last between 2 and 3 years.

Castrol 0W20 can be find on internet at 10€/liter. My car needs 20 liters oil per year, so 200€/year .

So I have decided to burn oil.... Sorry for the planet, but I cannot afford to buy a new car after 4 years....

Only Volvo propose me to take back my vehicule for 12000€ if I buy a brand new V60 (perhaps with new problems!)

Other brands propose maximum 5000€.

So the choice is no choice.

__________________________________________________ ____
V60 2014 D4 181 (VEA) Summum 122000kms // 75000miles /!\

Last edited by ChrisFromFrance; Nov 22nd, 2018 at 19:31.
ChrisFromFrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2018, 20:51   #1880
peelaaa

Hi, is this engine the 2 litre or the 2.4 litre ?
peelaaa is offline   Reply With Quote