Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

Views : 600155

Replies : 2691

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 7th, 2015, 19:48   #61
Rooster
Speed freak

[QUOTE=pmw1971;1844776]
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigv60 View Post
Was the EGR valve definitely replaced when you first got the code at 5K miles?

There's no way for me to answer this really as I never saw the "before and after", I keep banging on about how poor Harratts are in Leeds, they did the swap so for all I know they may have just cleaned it. I wouldn't put it past them!
Volvos instructions were just to clean it when the journal was first released,

This has now changed and you now have to replace,

So some cars that had the work done early would have just had parts cleaned unless they were faulty then they would have been replaced
07 CB600 Hornet --- 2 wheel fun
Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rooster For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 09:32   #62
emjga

Default Ongoing S60 D4 EGR

Folks

The going issue with my EGR issues (perhaps should have created a new thread if I had known it was going to be like this)

First fix was ECM upgrade as per TJ29396 (which did not fix the issue)
Second Fix replaced EGR Valve and Cooler
This seems to have fixed the issue.

However had a warning that the Engine Cooler Level was low this morning
This was after one day of getting the car back from Volvo

Checked Engine Cooler Level and sure enough it is below the MIN mark

Can any body confirm if replacing the EGR Valve and Cooler would have had any impact on the Engine Cooler Level (I suspect the answer is yes)

Back in this morning to Arnold Clark (Aberdeen Volvo) to have a moan and they say they will check there process and top up Engine Cooler Level

I know I could have done it my self but feel Volvo should have checked this before letting the car out.
emjga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 10:23   #63
craigv60
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjga View Post
Can any body confirm if replacing the EGR Valve and Cooler would have had any impact on the Engine Cooler Level (I suspect the answer is yes)
Yes, it can. The EGR cooler uses the engine coolant to, er, cool it. There is a complex system of valves and solenoids that controls the flow of coolant through the cooler, depending on how the car is being driven etc.

When the EGR cooler is replaced, there will no doubt be a little bit of coolant trapped in the cooler. Either the system wasn't bled properly when the new cooler was fitted, or one of the hoses to and from the cooler hasn't been refitted right.

From what Rooster has posted about this, it seems the original problem was that the EGR cooler casting was slightly porous, or had some sort of internal leak that allowed coolant to mix with the exhaust gas, making a gloopy mess that eventually causes the EGR valve to stick and burning out the EGR valve motor.
craigv60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to craigv60 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 12:11   #64
Flux
Premier Member

When I had a recall for a radiator hose replacement (part of a recall on some new VEA XC60's), the coolant warning light came on shortly after I collected the car. Spoke to the dealer and they advised that it often happens as there might be an air pocket which releases when the engine is warm.

They said they do their best to get rid of these but will only need a very small amount of coolant/water added to rectify this. I only added about 100ml and it was fine.

No problem since although a few weeks ago, parked on a steel slope with the bonnet pointing down the hill and the low coolant light came on. Was probably due to the angle of the car which triggered this on the sensor but when on the flat it was OK again. Checked coolant level and was OK.

Nothing too much to worry about but always worth checking the level if the light does come on......although didn't know it might be related to leaking EGR cooler casting as well. I've had the tortoise visit a few times so have a new EGR Valve and cooler on order with my dealer. Evidently will fit both parts now regardless of whether it's the EGR or cooler...been on order for almost two weeks now but hopefully with dealer before end of week...and they say they will only need the car for a full day to sort out.

Talking of warning lights - obviously got too close to a car at the traffic lights the other day and the City Safety went into action. Bit alarming as wasn't expecting it but nice to know it works.............

Last edited by Flux; Feb 11th, 2015 at 12:22.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 17:07   #65
Flux
Premier Member

Uh oh.

Why do I tempt fate..........since the post above have been out and the coolant light came on again - when on the flat this time.........maybe further sign that my EGR thingy has gone and is leaking (craigv60 has referred to in the earlier post). let's hope it's not causing any further damage whilst I await a replacement. Surely can't be good for the engine/exhaust if coolant is indeed leaking into the system and possibly causing corrosion.

Thoughts anyone?

Last edited by Flux; Feb 11th, 2015 at 17:12.
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 17:12   #66
Considered1
Premier Member

Hi Flux

so did you check the coolant level or are you hoping dealer will have your bits pdq!
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 17:14   #67
Flux
Premier Member

I hope so as I don't like the sound of fluids getting into the engine or wherever else it is going. Will check coolant level tomorrow morning and chase the dealer. Think they ordered the parts on 29th Jan so will be two weeks tomorrow.

Think I will take in as a matter of caution/urgency the moment they make contact.

Last edited by Flux; Feb 11th, 2015 at 17:17.
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 19:13   #68
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
When I had a recall for a radiator hose replacement (part of a recall on some new VEA XC60's), the coolant warning light came on shortly after I collected the car. Spoke to the dealer and they advised that it often happens as there might be an air pocket which releases when the engine is warm.

They said they do their best to get rid of these but will only need a very small amount of coolant/water added to rectify this. I only added about 100ml and it was fine.

No problem since although a few weeks ago, parked on a steel slope with the bonnet pointing down the hill and the low coolant light came on. Was probably due to the angle of the car which triggered this on the sensor but when on the flat it was OK again. Checked coolant level and was OK.

Nothing too much to worry about but always worth checking the level if the light does come on......although didn't know it might be related to leaking EGR cooler casting as well. I've had the tortoise visit a few times so have a new EGR Valve and cooler on order with my dealer. Evidently will fit both parts now regardless of whether it's the EGR or cooler...been on order for almost two weeks now but hopefully with dealer before end of week...and they say they will only need the car for a full day to sort out.

Talking of warning lights - obviously got too close to a car at the traffic lights the other day and the City Safety went into action. Bit alarming as wasn't expecting it but nice to know it works.............
It has ever been so with a coolant change. 940 TD Main dealer changed coolant and gave it to the YTS kiddie to drive over to my place and he proudly told me how fast the car went! Found he had cracked the head! How to prove it though, or even get the dealers to admit the head was cracked! Had an indi put a new head on it for me and he told me it was difficult to clear all the air in the system and to drive it gently for the first few time and check the coolant level every time. Never had the same trouble again but I never let a dealer deliver my car now.
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 11:49   #69
Bugbuyer

Post D4 VEA 'check engine' light / EGR fault thread

The engine management light on our 10 month old S60 D4 came on at 17,500 miles the week before its first service was due. The service dept. straightaway said it was a EGR valve problem which was later confirmed during the service.
The part(s) were not in stock and have been on back order since the service date of Jan 27th 2015.
Light is obviously still lit but no on road performance issues other than the economy is calculated over the last 1000 miles at 47mpg whereas it was over 50mpg beforehand.
Bugbuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 17:56   #70
Flux
Premier Member

My dealer placed an order with Volvo for EGR valve and cooler on 29.01.2015 and still not heard from them regarding its arrival with them. Good job the car is still able to function as there would be a lot of VEA D4's parked-up waiting for parts.

I've also noticed a drop in MPG lately but no loss of power or performance.