Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

, valve cover

Views : 1981

Replies : 21

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 3rd, 2015, 13:53   #11
Derek UK
VOC Member

Smile

A good quality impact glue like Evo-Stik will do the job but prep is the main thing to consider. Remove any old gasket cement and wipe down with brake cleaner. Use a new gasket. Apply thinly to both the the cover and the gasket. Leave to dry till there's just a hint of tackiness. Quickly, carefully, accurately attach the gasket to the cover. Make sure everything is all in line, including the bolt holes. Place on a flat surface, cover upwards and leave overnight. You can add some extra weight on to if you like, evenly spaced. Make sure there is no glue on the outer face of the gasket or you might tear it off again when you lift it up again in the morning. The glue is just for alignment not as a seal but it will also act like one if it's applied thinly and evenly. You should only have to take it off now and then for valve clearance checks/adjustments and it should stay in place for at least 2-3 of those. Wipe round the mating face of the head with brake cleaner before fitting after scraping off any dirt and gasket cement residue. Don't over tighten the fixing screws. Finger tight and a bit more, but check every few months, as the gasket will compress a bit.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Derek UK For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2015, 20:33   #12
Hat

This black crackle finish looks nice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (124.3 KB, 27 views)
Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hat For This Useful Post:
Old May 3rd, 2015, 23:20   #13
Derek UK
VOC Member

Cool

Crackle is nice until it gets dirty............
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2015, 00:57   #14
Amma122s

The ones the OP started the thread with look nice...that's it..apart from they quiet down the valvetrain a tad too. Expensive bit of kit needs good excuses LoL

If the original is ok there's no problem with them, and the cork gaskets fine, never had a problem with mine. I just sanded mine then sprayed it with silver wheel paint.

Amma122s is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amma122s For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2015, 21:36   #15
jamie
amazon1954

Smile

Thanks to everyone for their help

I bid for the IPD Volvo one but lost, all went a bit crazy and I got carried away....as you do, or at least I did. So back to being rational, I think I will spray my original one having followed Derek's directions on cleaning up etc and use the metal holders down and a new cork gasket, at least until the car is so together and I don't know what to spend my money on and maybe I could get one of those very nice VOLVO valve covers.

Meanwhile I need to save to buy sound deadening and insulation and a carpet....and so it goes on

thanks again...

Jamie
jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2015, 22:38   #16
simonvolvo

Instead of those special “force spreaders” mentioned by Ron Kwas I use plain (round) washers - 14˝ mm diameter and 1˝ mm thick – on my OE sheet metal cover. They are small enough to fit in the recesses of the cover.

While that doesn’t seem to be much bigger than the screw heads (11˝ mm diameter), do the math and you will see that it increases the area that presses down on the cover by over 80%.

Works well for me.
simonvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to simonvolvo For This Useful Post:
Old May 4th, 2015, 22:43   #17
simonvolvo

Ignore - double posting
simonvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2015, 11:43   #18
Bigbunt
Bigbunt

I had pretty good luck with the IPD force spreader "thingies" after cleaning and straightening the cover. I also sealed up the fuel pump, which was really leaking quite a bit, using Permatex gasket maker. Now the only real leak I have is weeping oil from my number two plug hole., does that make sense? Might that indicate worn valve guides or...? I don't understand why oil coming from a plug. Haven't checked compression yet... I've pulled the plug and thoroughly cleaned the boot etc. so I'm at a loss. Really want that clean, leak free engine. Other than that it runs really well though!
Bigbunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2015, 11:53   #19
Ron Kwas
Premier Member

BB;

It may look like the source is a "plughole", but how can it be...there is no oil there...it's the combustion chamber!...and any oil there would be burned and turn to soot...it must be coming from elsewhere...nearest source is Valve cover...unless you have a porosity in the head (I meant the engine!)...I'd clean, drive a bit, then blot (not wipe) to try to locate.

Good Hunting from just down the road!
Ron Kwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2015, 21:45   #20
Bigbunt
Bigbunt

Ron, I totally agree and I've done multiple blots and plug pullings and cleanings and I still get this seepage apparently from the plug. Makes no sense to me either but it's a really good illusion! There is no evidence of oil above the plug, only below. I'll Gunk it again and see. I sure hope there isn't any porosity. Seems unlikely but one never knows...
By the way, do you know anybody on the Shoreline with an orange (I think?!) P1800 that might have been tooling around Guilford this weekend? That wasn't you was it?
Bigbunt is offline   Reply With Quote