Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Can you buy an everyday car that will increase in value ?

Views : 5459

Replies : 106

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 19th, 2017, 17:28   #61
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniNinjaRob View Post
My 940 is worth more than I paid for it 2 years ago, the prices are slowly rising now.
940s are where the sensible money is...stock blown ones are becoming increasingly rare and expensive due to the drift monkeys getting their hands on them. I just sold a very tidy 940 2.3LPT which needed a couple of bits doing for £800, and could have sold it five times over at that price. Give it a couple of years and they’ll have doubled in value methinks.

The upside of the desirability of the turbos is that the humble normally aspirated bricks can be had for very little coin. My ‘91 740 is a beautiful car, mint inside and very good outside, mechanically excellent and a flawless drive, all for £400.
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 19th, 2017, 18:03   #62
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Thread's getting dull with all the talk about Volvo's for small change. Could we have some imagination guys, there are a lot of nice, interesting motors out there for little money ?

Jon

Last edited by CTCNetwork; Feb 24th, 2018 at 12:40. Reason: One more time...
Prufrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2017, 19:01   #63
Guy Incognito

Corrado VR6 would be a reasonable shout I guess.

A 911 is usable daily and the 996s that were broken for parts as you couldn't sell them seem to have slowed and now starting to creep up slowly.

9000 Aero in standard condition is now going up and is modern enough to be safe and what not without being stupidly complicated. Getting scarce now sadly.
Guy Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Guy Incognito For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 19th, 2017, 19:04   #64
KerPLoD
240 Owner, VOC Member

Well, it is a Volvo forum. Can't blame people for referring to older Volvos when they are indeed gaining in value, and make a practical, sensible, yet fun purchase.

As for non-Volvo cars that are appreciating...

MX5 Mk1 (possibly Mk2)
MGF and MGTF to an extent
Pre-2000s Toyota MR2 unmodified
Triumph Spitfire
Honda S2000
Any Alfa Romeo with the Busso V6 (aside from the Brera)

To name a few.

There are a few issues with those, however.

The Mazda MX5 Mk1 has rust issues that are as bad as (if not worse than) some of the older Volvos.

The MGF and TF aren't what you'd call the most reliable cars and working on them is a righteous pain. The MR2 has the same problem, along with being a complete deathtrap if being driven badly (very unforgiving cars).

Spitfires being older have their issues and can be expensive to maintain (although still reasonable compared to some).

The Honda S2000 has just begun to appreciate but it never really lost a lot of value in the first place. Finding a good one can set you back over £10,000, but they are very reliable, very well-made and fun.

Meanwhile Alfas have their reputation for bad reliability. I don't know much about the newer ones with the Busso (156, 147, 166, GTV etc) but they are getting expensive as well.

As for whether you could call them everyday cars, that's a different matter. None except perhaps the Alfas are particularly expensive in day to day running.

All that being said, I still want an 850 T5-R and a Spitfire...
Check out the restoration of my 240 here...

Last edited by KerPLoD; Dec 19th, 2017 at 19:07.
KerPLoD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KerPLoD For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 00:41   #65
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

A chap I race with has a Honda Integra Type-R, paid £3000 for it and is worth at least 1K on top of that now after 18mths.

He’s remapped it and done a ton of work to it engine wise, and it’s an incredible car.
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 11:01   #66
Bonefishblues
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerPLoD View Post

The Honda S2000 has just begun to appreciate but it never really lost a lot of value in the first place. Finding a good one can set you back over £10,000, but they are very reliable, very well-made and fun.
S2000s have been on the up escalator for donkeys now.

I think that Boxsters are where the value is* - and IMHO, having owned both, the significantly better car of the two. (Cue argument!)

*especially for those who missed the 996 boat, and want a Porsche
Bonefishblues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 11:43   #67
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Nissan 350Z.

Jon.
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 12:10   #68
I-S
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Incognito View Post
A 911 is usable daily and the 996s that were broken for parts as you couldn't sell them seem to have slowed and now starting to creep up slowly.
996s have significant problems with engines. As Porsches first water-cooled flat engine, they got a few things wrong.

Ironically it's not being thrashed that kills them - quite the opposite. Sitting in traffic/idling is what does for a 996 because there isn't enough waterflow and the block gets hot at the top - pistons go out of shape and score the bore. If kept running hard then they're fine!

Most 996s that have been broken for parts are because the engine has started knocking from scored bores. There's no spare engines!
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 12:18   #69
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishblues View Post
S2000s have been on the up escalator for donkeys now.

I think that Boxsters are where the value is* - and IMHO, having owned both, the significantly better car of the two. (Cue argument!)

*especially for those who missed the 996 boat, and want a Porsche
I prefer boxster too 911. Really. Light, punchy, fantastic handling.

350z a good shout, although I prefer 370. Owned an old school 300zx twin turbo with various mods and over 300HP, it was a manual and an absolute blast. These and more expensive supra Turbo are probably safe money.
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 12:29   #70
Prufrock
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggbn View Post
I prefer boxster too 911. Really. Light, punchy, fantastic handling.

350z a good shout, although I prefer 370. Owned an old school 300zx twin turbo with various mods and over 300HP, it was a manual and an absolute blast. These and more expensive supra Turbo are probably safe money.
I had a 350Z and prefer it over the 370Z that a friend has...it is cars that are softening on values - they are the one's to watch and buy soon/later.

Mercedes R129s are good value. Boxsters are cheap, I've never liked them.

Jon.