Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

LPG Tank not filling up full, high MPG & new tank?

Views : 1090

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 29th, 2018, 19:23   #1
sveriges80

Default LPG Tank not filling up full, high MPG & new tank?

Hi All,

I have a Volvo S80 - Bi-Fuel 2003 model. I had this car off the road and at times I would drive only on petrol as the LPG system was smelling of gas at times. So I stopped using the LPG. http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/images...used_smile.gif

I later replaced the whole the front end LPG kit with Ecotech which runs smoothly except when I fill gas, I can only get about 15 - 20 litres of gas when I should get at least 45 litres plus and the consumption in the LPG is very high at nearly 11-12 MPG. This is too high when compared to when I am using petrol.

So I ask if anyone has had this problem and how did they resolve the LPG Tank and consumption and does anyone know the actual dimensions/size of the LPG Tanks stored underneath and if one knows the name of the supplier that supplied the original tanks to Volvo when these cars came out.

I just realised that I have asked so many questions..Sorry and most obliged to all the real guys of this Forum. Stay well. Kindest regards.
sveriges80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sveriges80 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 19:07   #2
Recognized

You still use Volvo tank? Lpg tank filling system is similar to the toilet with same issues. I would suggest to replace the tank with newer version. You could get around 100l tank in Volvo place. Don’t be afraid of smelling gas, just sort it out. Petrol vapours more flammable than gas.
Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 19:10   #3
Recognized

Post photo of distributor, it set too high. Need to reduce pressure to get normal mpg
Old Aug 23rd, 2018, 22:54   #4
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Can't help on htis one, but agree on the smell point. Of course you must be careful with gas, but the odd sniff? I shouldn't worry. Just don't smoke and remember LPG is heavier than air so lurks about the place. Where Methane (CNG) -as domestic gas is lighter. Find the leak, I'd be far more jittery if I could smell petrol.Petrol goes up far too easy and stays burning. Remember spilt petrol is a gas, and a very volatile one.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Aug 23rd, 2018 at 23:19.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25th, 2018, 02:12   #5
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

The tanks are special tanks to fit in the space available. You will not get anything bigger in teh same space.

The fault is most likely with the 80% fill stop valve. It will be a standard valve so can be replaced but bear in mind the float valve must be removed first.

The poor consumption is most likely a installation issue with teh new front end and is also likely the cause of the gas smell. Go back and get them to look at it under teh warranty
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post: