Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 - Hotspot and dashcam parking mode

Views : 1053

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 25th, 2018, 20:43   #1
Dav555

Default XC60 - Hotspot and dashcam parking mode

Hi,

Newbie post so apologies if its in the wrong place etc.

In the process of purchasing a T8 with Sensus and On Call (i gather that option has the ability to insert a Sim card for creating a hotspot)

I want to install a dashcam (Blackvue 750 or 900) that has parking mode with the ability to upload to the cloud assuming there is internet connection. This has the option of an additional battery pack to power the dashcam when the car isnt running.

So my questions are
1. Is Sensus and On Call what i need to create a hotspot
2. Any suggestions on (PAYG) SIM card that has cheap data that doesn't expire after a specific time or if it isnt topped up cash wise every month
3. Can the volvo hotspot be configured to stay on even when the car is off
4. General comments on Dashcams with Cloud

Thanks in advance
Dav555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 00:37   #2
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, you are correct that by having the On-Call feature, you will get an additional Sim Slot for your in-car Data requirements as used by:
1. Car's Sensus system
2. Data for the in-car wifi hotspot (that turns off when the car's systems power down)
3. Traffic Updates for the car's Sat Nav

I have just purchased for my new XC60 a Blackvue 750S 2ch as an upgrade from my previous BlackVue 650 that worked without fail for last 3 years.

My configuration is to use the Blackvue Power Magic Pro Box as the interface between the car's battery & the camera (my dealer wired this for me) c£40 that I have set for 6 hrs recording limit with the camera's "cloud" feature turned on and my home wifi set as the "Garage" setting which is also the priority mode with the in-cars wifi hotspot set as the lower priority.
https://www.blackvue.uk/collections/...ower-magic-pro

The above means the cloud feature of the Blackvue camera is only available:
1. When car's systems are powered and camera is connected to the wifi hotspot.
2. When car is at home with the camera still powered for the 1st 6 hrs via the car's battery using the Power Magic Pro Box.

So if you are looking for a more permanent cloud availability option, you could replace the Pro magic cheap box with the below Blackvue battery option that will not just only power your camera but also a wifi dongle (with built in sim) via one of the USB sockets...............but then you will end up with two sims, etc, etc. https://www.blackvue.uk/collections/...ry-pack-bv-112

Re the question of what sim card to use, then suggest the below option as used by a lot of Volvo forum members.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Three-Mobil...01M3VJ2B2?th=1

As regards future forum posting, I suggest you use the main "General" section that is where 95% of the members visit for our models as below.https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=201

Hope this helps.
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 09:06   #3
Dav555

Thank you for your most informative reply.

This has led to a few more questions !

1. Does Sensus come with a sim card / data plan?

2. You mentioned that the cloud feature is available for 6 hours after the car is turned off. That seems to contradict if the hotspot isn't available (I am not trying to be smart here) I'm guessing the camera is powered up but not uploading to the cloud?

I'm trying to achieve the ability to log on and see live images from the car over the cloud when its parked overnight.

thanks again.
Dav555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26th, 2018, 11:22   #4
simonjedrake
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav555 View Post
Thank you for your most informative reply.

This has led to a few more questions !

1. Does Sensus come with a sim card / data plan?

2. You mentioned that the cloud feature is available for 6 hours after the car is turned off. That seems to contradict if the hotspot isn't available (I am not trying to be smart here) I'm guessing the camera is powered up but not uploading to the cloud?

I'm trying to achieve the ability to log on and see live images from the car over the cloud when its parked overnight.

thanks again.
To answer above:
1. No, the embedded SIM for VOC is not used by the car for any user data activity.
2. Not quite, the Power Magic Pro Box can be set to a large No of auto power off time limits with 6 hrs being the lowest and going up to infinity. So as long as the Blackvue Camera is powered it will be transmitting wifi signals.........but NOT to the Car's wifi hotspot as that will be off.

In you case, if your car is parked in your driveway AND your house wifi extends to the car.....then an easy option is to set the Power Magic Pro to say 18 hrs and set the home wifi as the "garage" in the cloud settings so the car will then be linked to the cloud via your homes wifi network.

If the home wifi does not reach as far, then purchase a wifi extended for the house/garage to extend it further.

Tags
blackvue, dashcam, hotspot, sensus