Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Terminal oil leak?

Views : 788

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 21st, 2018, 20:58   #1
boombox

Default Terminal oil leak?

So I've just had my MOT done and my beloved V70 has failed due to an oil leak from the rear seal. An oil leak my mechanic and I had hoped some engine oil additive (to 'resupple' the seals) would help. Turns out it hasn't helped!

Anyway the other major issue this V70 has is the dreaded ECM6805.

I have two questions. Is it likely to be worth having the seal replaced? Looks like it's a roughly eight hour job and then obviously there could be other things cropping up at any time. However I at least KNOW this devil to adapt a phrase to the situation.

Secondly, If I DO go ahead and have the seal replaced/sorted, is it worth mentioning to the garage that I have the ECM6805 problem to see if they can spot anything obvious while they're in the bowels of the engine room or is that more likely just to cost me in labour hours?

The car is a 2004, it's done over 200,000 miles...but it's in decentish nick, handles well, we like it...

Thanks
boombox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2018, 21:35   #2
The Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post

The car is a 2004, it's done over 200,000 miles...but it's in decentish nick, handles well, we like it...

Thanks
You kind of answer your own question.

I *think* if I'd had it a long time, done a lot of miles in it and knew the car inside out I'd be prepared ton throw some money at it if those faults are all that wrong with it.
The Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2018, 23:13   #3
Simmy
Premier Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by boombox View Post
So I've just had my MOT done and my beloved V70 has failed due to an oil leak from the rear seal. An oil leak my mechanic and I had hoped some engine oil additive (to 'resupple' the seals) would help. Turns out it hasn't helped!

Anyway the other major issue this V70 has is the dreaded ECM6805.

I have two questions. Is it likely to be worth having the seal replaced? Looks like it's a roughly eight hour job and then obviously there could be other things cropping up at any time. However I at least KNOW this devil to adapt a phrase to the situation.

Secondly, If I DO go ahead and have the seal replaced/sorted, is it worth mentioning to the garage that I have the ECM6805 problem to see if they can spot anything obvious while they're in the bowels of the engine room or is that more likely just to cost me in labour hours?

Thanks
sound like your oil gallery core plug has failed . aŁ3 part that requires gear box removal to fit . i had mine done by readview in accrington for a very reasonable price .
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22nd, 2018, 06:23   #4
simonwedge

While the box was out you'd really want to have a good look at the clutch & DMF as well - potentially more expense I know but better than having to take it apart again in 6 months
Old Nov 22nd, 2018, 13:28   #5
MarvinMitt

Depends on the garage.
If they are experienced with Volvos then they can check the obvious stuff like turbo sticky vanes, intercooler visually, vacuum system (if E3) etc in 15 minutes.
Old Dec 1st, 2018, 19:09   #6
Thassos
GoldMember

Smile csc

ild add clutch slave cylinder,as they if they fail its another gearbox out jobby, do you know its history on clutch replacement would be surprised if it hadnt had at least one at that mileage.. better the devil you know, as they are very solidly built cars that just keep going & going.. and clutches youll have the same problem with any car as they approach 100k miles, once its done you can say goodbye to any more issues for another 100k 😊
Thassos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1st, 2018, 23:48   #7
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

If your mechanic thinks a blown seal can be cured with an additive then I would start with a new mechanic....
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3rd, 2018, 12:46   #8
ma70
Curmudgeon with a turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
If your mechanic thinks a blown seal can be cured with an additive then I would start with a new mechanic....
This ^ for a start, the "mechanic" is obviously IMO looking at your Volvo as "just another old, ELV that needs bodging through it's last year before the scrapper". Just not the case with P2 Volvos, honestly how many has anyone ever seen in a scrapyard compared to contemporary other makes?

And has anybody suggested looking at the PCV system at all? If the PCV box is clogged it can cause lots of oil leaks from the rear main seal that can be stopped by sorting the breather system. If the RMS is shot, I'd agree replace that, look at the core plug, check the DMF and just replace the clutch/slave cyl no matter how good it looks, while the 'box is out. Preventive maintenance for the win.

I'd (if you ain't guessed!) say 100% "better the devil you know" and all that, if the car is in fair shape and fits your needs/wants well then why change? 200k IMO is not a huge mileage for a P2 car, as evidenced by the number of cars owned by forum members around this mileage & the still-decent resale values of cars with these numbers. I think there's no reason a well cared for one couldn't go half a mil or more.

I'd much rather spend a few hundred on something that I know the basics are sound with, and where there's good technical support available, than drop that money on some other potential money pit. Definitely look into the PCV (specifically, the rubber glove test) before condemning the rear main seal.

Last edited by ma70; Dec 3rd, 2018 at 12:49.
ma70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ma70 For This Useful Post: