Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

windscreen wipers not parking.

Views : 1345

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 4th, 2015, 08:15   #1
tritonofnor

Default windscreen wipers not parking.

Hi All,
Looking for some help to try and discover why I've lost the park and intermittent functions on my windscreen wipers. I did the vw 99 relay mod a while ago and it was working great until half way through a journey last week when the wipers failed to park. Have had a search of the forums and so far I have:
1. Opened the motor and cleaned the tracks and contacts in the wiper gearbox.
2. Replaced the 99 relay with another
3. Replaced the dashboard switch with a used item,
but still the problem persists...
I'm not great with a multimeter, but if someone could point me to the right connections to test I'll have a go... Living in Cornwall with malfunctioning wipers is doing my head in!
Car is an 850tdi cd. Any suggestions gratefully received!
tritonofnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4th, 2015, 14:12   #2
NI_Volvo_Nut
Volvologist

Wipers not parking is a sign of the motor starting to fail, try replacing the motor,

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
Can't you tell that it's out of style?
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
Are you gonna cruise the miracle mile?
NI_Volvo_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2015, 10:49   #3
t+m

Its usually the parking switch in the motor. It should keep the motor spinning until it reaches the park position and the little cam opens the switch. Check the switch has continuity through it when its closed. Set the multimeter to ohms and use the buzzer facility on it, ie when you touch the probes together it buzzes. Then put it across the park switch contacts and see if it buzzes when the switch closes
t+m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6th, 2015, 11:07   #4
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t+m View Post
Its usually the parking switch in the motor. It should keep the motor spinning until it reaches the park position and the little cam opens the switch. Check the switch has continuity through it when its closed. Set the multimeter to ohms and use the buzzer facility on it, ie when you touch the probes together it buzzes. Then put it across the park switch contacts and see if it buzzes when the switch closes
Exactly - spot on. Replacing the whole motor would include this switch, and would therefore probably fix the problem but is likely to be uneccessary, as it will either be the adjustment of the switch or replacement of the switch - or more likely just need cleaning.
Old Nov 11th, 2015, 08:20   #5
tritonofnor

Fixed!
Cleaned the parking switches with contact cleaner again, but with no success. Removed and replaced the 99 relay, giving the socket a bit of a blast with the contact cleaner, and hey presto all restored.
Thanks for your help guys.
Old Jul 10th, 2020, 19:53   #6
rosasb

Having the same problem and wonder if yours stayed fixed.
rosasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2020, 20:03   #7
tritonofnor

Stayed fixed for as long as I kept the car - just over 3 years...

Tags
850, tdi, wiper